ADVERTISEMENT

It's time we have a QB1 who is focused on UCF football in control of this team

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
When JRP came back in the game, after TC struggled, we scored 3 TD's in a hurry and made it a game. We even had the mo and a chance to win the game until the D crapped the bed. It's obvious JRP can be really good when he stays in control and the play calling keeps the game simple. But JRP has to work on his read progressions and passing accuracy this offseason. Improving his game management and passing game must be his primary focus if he wants to be QB1 next season. And he must learn and understand when and how to run the ball. He must be told that he has to work on and improve on these things and stay healthy to keep the QB1 role. We can't have a QB1 who puts his body on the line throughout the game. And nothing can get in the way including baseball. Let's be honest, it's time Gus took control of the QB situation, stops his wishy washy bs about how great all of these guys are (I'll give you a hint Gus, none of your QB's even made Honorable mention let alone first or second team AAC All Conference). And if the QB's (maybe Timmy?) aren't focused on being the best QB in the Conference (even a bigger challenge in the B12) then we need to add one in the portal who is. As we unfortunately learned this season (and especially with the debacle between JRP and Mikey), Coaches not players need to run the team.

Last edited:
When JRP came back in the game, after TC struggled, we scored 3 TD's in a hurry and made it a game. We even had the mo and a chance to win the game until the D crapped the bed. It's obvious JRP can be really good when he stays in control and the play calling keeps the game simple. But JRP has to work on his read progressions and passing accuracy this offseason. Improving his game management and passing game must be his primary focus if he wants to be QB1 next season. And he must learn and understand when and how to run the ball. He must be told that he has to work on and improve on these things and stay healthy to keep the QB1 role. We can't have a QB1 who puts his body on the line throughout the game. And nothing can get in the way including baseball. Let's be honest, it's time Gus took control of the QB situation, stops his wishy washy bs about how great all of these guys are (I'll give you a hint Gus, none of your QB's even made Honorable mention let alone first or second team AAC All Conference). And if the QB's (maybe Timmy?) aren't focused on being the best QB in the Conference (even a bigger challenge in the B12) then we need to add one in the portal who is. As we unfortunately learned this season (and especially with the debacle between JRP and Mikey), Coaches not players need to run the team.
I agree with everything you said, but if he hasn't learned that stuff by now, he never will. I hope commits to baseball and lets the future QBs take hold.

I was actually pretty impressed with what Plumlee did in the second half against a good Tulane defense and at about 50% health. But you’re right, he was never going to be a long-term solution. He was re-learning how to play the position this year after 2 years off. And in today’s game a run-first QB is not the way to win championships.

Reactions: Knight59
He will be playing baseball in the Spring so he won't be the 24/7/365 QB we need.

Malzahn should have been able to attract a better transfer QB last time, Nix seemingly not giving Malzahn the time of day is concerning.
Agreed, I pointed this portal failure out prior to Fall camp. And not just about Nix.

Malzahn should have been able to attract a better transfer QB last time, Nix seemingly not giving Malzahn the time of day is concerning.
I kind of want the ND QB. But i doubt he’ll want to play in Gus offense.

He will be playing baseball in the Spring so he won't be the 24/7/365 QB we need.
Yea, a QB who has been injury prone and not performing at an elite level spending spring focusing on baseball seems like the opposite of what this program needs.

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
We need a dual threat QB whose only focus is football. Now if JRP wants to focus solely on football and getting better at the QB position and forget about baseball then he should be given the opportunity.

Reactions: Knight Strength
If Gus wants to continue using a dual threat quarterback based offense, we can win with that. But it has to be a QB that can actually hit the long pass consistently. He needs to be able to find the open receiver, not always just looking for the primary. He needs to be able to read the defense and always know where the “centerfielder“ is on the D. We need a quarterback that is a student of the game, that studies defenses and has good field vision. Being a great runner is fine, but it shouldn’t be the number one consideration for a good quarterback .

Reactions: Yaes
If by "focused" anyone is thinking "loyal" you can forget about that. I the portal and new transfer rules eliminated that from CFB.

I still support these changes as they give players freedom to find other places to succeed but there's no question in my mind it has fundamentally changed the sport we love.

ADVERTISEMENT