ADVERTISEMENT

Jacob Harris emerges as new offensive weapon

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

UCF's spring game featured a surprise standout: Jacob Harris.

The Palm Harbor, Fla., native and former Western Kentucky transfer emerged as a star on special teams last season, earning a scholarship for his outstanding play. He could have a much bigger role during his upcoming redshirt senior season.

The 6-foot-5, 211-pounder was a favorite target during the spring game, reeling in two touchdowns and amassing 53 yards.

"It was a great feeling, especially that first (touchdown)," Harris said. "I've put in a lot of work. It's been a lot of grinding, an uphill battle to get to this point. I'm just happy to see some light, but definitely not taking the foot off the gas."

Coach Josh Heupel indicated Harris could perhaps play a role similar to that of Michael Colubiale.

"I think he's got a unique and interesting skill set," Heupel said. "A guy who has a soccer background and gravitated towards football here. Halfway through last season, I think everybody saw the change in our special teams. A big part of that was the way that he played in all our cover units. Really was a four-unit guy for us. He's got the ability to play in the slot for us, tight end as well. Had some really big plays for us (in the spring game)... (He has) some things he needs to clean up before we get to fall camp."

Even though Harris will enter his senior season, he's still relatively new to the game of football.

"My whole life I grew up playing soccer," Harris said. "I didn't start playing football until my senior year of high school. I didn't even play receiver. I played free safety. I didn't play receiver until I got recruited out of high school and went into college at Western Kentucky."

imfle8a87ipughb9e7xv

Harris spent his freshman season at Western Kentucky in 2015, returning home in 2016. He joined the UCF football team in 2017, but did not play.

"The journey was tough," Harris said. "It wasn't easy. At Western Kentucky, it was good ball there but I'm a Florida boy. It wasn't home to me. UCF has always been a school that I've dreamed to play at. I actually took an unofficial visit my sophomore year of high school for soccer. I fell in love with the campus. I was actually out of football for a year. I was back home, taking classes. Helping out with my old high school coach, helping out with the receivers. My coach actually opened the door for me and gave me an opportunity with the Frost staff and Coach Held. Sent my film and I got the opportunity as a walk-on and took it from there."

With tremendous depth at wide receiver, Harris saw special teams as his pathway.

"I loved special teams last season," he said. "It was a chance to get on the field. Not only show what I can do, but contribute for my teammates. It was great. Special teams is what opened up the opportunity for offense. I'm thankful for that."

Harris acknowledged he has a big summer ahead as he knows he needs to continue to improve if he wants to play a bigger role. He's excited about what they'll be able to do this year.

"Offense is getting better every year," he said. "We always say we're fast. I think we're going to be even faster. It's the second year under the same system. Guys know what to expect. We know what the coaches want out of us. It's better communication and you get a better view of what we're trying to accomplish."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News