ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Sheridan transferring?

Draft got cut from 40 rounds to 5 this year.
That’s actually better. You can hand pick your team if not drafted in round 5 or earlier. They still scouted them and will still sign 50 guys to keep minor league rosters at full capacity. If you’re a Senior in baseball and you aren’t ready for rookie ball you will not make it. Most Rookie Ball guys are 18 -20 and drafted in the late rounds. As a 22 year old you should be in AA at a minimum. He got his degree. Go be in MLB and try to make money.

That’s actually better. You can hand pick your team if not drafted in round 5 or earlier. They still scouted them and will still sign 50 guys to keep minor league rosters at full capacity. If you’re a Senior in baseball and you aren’t ready for rookie ball you will not make it. Most Rookie Ball guys are 18 -20 and drafted in the late rounds. As a 22 year old you should be in AA at a minimum. He got his degree. Go be in MLB and try to make money.
Unfortunately they've also limited what an undrafted player can be signed to as well. Also, not even the top picks go straight to AA so it's certainly not going to happen for an undrafted guy. Then there's the fact that it's very unlikely that a minor league season happens this year, at least in the traditional sense. Then you have the MLB looking to get rid of some levels in the minors, which is the biggest reason the draft got cut from 40 to 5 this year, way more than COVID. College baseball players and high school seniors looking to get drafted got screwed in pretty much every way possible this year.

My guess is Sheridan has resigned himself to the fact that professional ball is not in the cards and trying to get the most out of his last years of college ball, and unfortunately there may not be a rotation spot for him next year at UCF with fewer guys leaving and a higher likelihood of a stud high schooler coming in as a freshman.

Last edited:
Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Unfortunately they've also limited what an undrafted player can be signed to as well. Also, not even the top picks go straight to AA so it's certainly not going to happen for an undrafted guy. Then there's the fact that it's very unlikely that a minor league season happens this year, at least in the traditional sense. Then you have the MLB looking to get rid of some levels in the minors, which is the biggest reason the draft got cut from 40 to 5 this year, way more than COVID. College baseball players and high school seniors looking to get drafted got screwed in pretty much every way possible this year.

My guess is Sheridan has resigned himself to the fact that professional ball is not in the cards and trying to get the most out of his last years of college ball, and unfortunately there may not be a rotation spot for him next year at UCF with fewer guys leaving and a higher likelihood of a stud high schooler coming in as a freshman.
Most guys drafted are from 18-20. If you are 22 or 23 you will be old for rookie ball. I’m not saying they start guys in AA. Jordan did because he was old. The real high draft picks and or the real good guys go through classes relatively quickly. I believe the average length of time for MLB caliber players is 3 years in minors. Then you have Bryce Harper who played the first year. I’m pretty sure Sheridan would get picked up if he has a shot at playing. Transfer just seems like a bad decision. Unless he’s already been talking to other coaches. Where is he from?

Most guys drafted are from 18-20. If you are 22 or 23 you will be old for rookie ball. I’m not saying they start guys in AA. Jordan did because he was old. The real high draft picks and or the real good guys go through classes relatively quickly. I believe the average length of time for MLB caliber players is 3 years in minors. Then you have Bryce Harper who played the first year. I’m pretty sure Sheridan would get picked up if he has a shot at playing. Transfer just seems like a bad decision. Unless he’s already been talking to other coaches. Where is he from?
There's very little of this that is correct. In most cases the guys that are drafted are either 18 year old high schoolers or 21-22 College Juniors or Seniors. You have to spend at least 3 years in College if you choose to go to College. There is the Junior College route in which you don't have to wait the 3 years, but that's more the exception, typically the draft is made up of high school seniors, and College Juniors-Seniors. For a top round pick I'd say the average time spent in the minors is probably 3-4 years, but overall if you look at every major league player and take the average time spent in the minors it'd be much higher than 3 to 4 years. Typically if you're a top 10-15 pick out of college I'd say the goal is to make it to the big leagues in 2 years. If you're a high school player in the top 10-15 picks then you'd want to see them up in about 3-4 years. Bryce Harper was drafted in 2010 and he made his debut in 2012, but you are correct in the sense that less than 2 years in the minors out of high school is very quick to come up.

Even if the draft were 40 rounds, I think it's questionable whether Sheridan would get drafted, especially with his injury history. I don't know the exact reasons for him choosing to transfer, but if I were to guess, it probably has to do with playing time, opportunity to be in a starting rotation. We have some very talented arms that were freshmen this year, and it looks like more legit arms committed to us for 2021. Also, if he did somehow get picked up by a professional team, him being in the transfer portal doesn't stop him from going in that direction. Quite frankly with players being given that extra year of eligibility, coupled with many more high school players being forced to go the college route instead of pros, and less opportunity for our Juniors and Seniors to get drafted, we're going to need some guys to transfer out to put together a robust recruiting class this year, because if they don't, the scholarships just won't be available.

And he's from Oviedo, grew up going to UCF games.

There's very little of this that is correct. In most cases the guys that are drafted are either 18 year old high schoolers or 21-22 College Juniors or Seniors. You have to spend at least 3 years in College if you choose to go to College. There is the Junior College route in which you don't have to wait the 3 years, but that's more the exception, typically the draft is made up of high school seniors, and College Juniors-Seniors. For a top round pick I'd say the average time spent in the minors is probably 3-4 years, but overall if you look at every major league player and take the average time spent in the minors it'd be much higher than 3 to 4 years. Typically if you're a top 10-15 pick out of college I'd say the goal is to make it to the big leagues in 2 years. If you're a high school player in the top 10-15 picks then you'd want to see them up in about 3-4 years. Bryce Harper was drafted in 2010 and he made his debut in 2012, but you are correct in the sense that less than 2 years in the minors out of high school is very quick to come up.

Even if the draft were 40 rounds, I think it's questionable whether Sheridan would get drafted, especially with his injury history. I don't know the exact reasons for him choosing to transfer, but if I were to guess, it probably has to do with playing time, opportunity to be in a starting rotation. We have some very talented arms that were freshmen this year, and it looks like more legit arms committed to us for 2021. Also, if he did somehow get picked up by a professional team, him being in the transfer portal doesn't stop him from going in that direction. Quite frankly with players being given that extra year of eligibility, coupled with many more high school players being forced to go the college route instead of pros, and less opportunity for our Juniors and Seniors to get drafted, we're going to need some guys to transfer out to put together a robust recruiting class this year, because if they don't, the scholarships just won't be available.

And he's from Oviedo, grew up going to UCF games.
To Notre Dame

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT