ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Dawkins on UCF's Myrtle Beach Invitational Championship: 'I was proud of our guys'

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

UCF showed off their potential last weekend.

The Knights put together three wins in four days, knocking off Cal State Fullerton, St. Joseph's and Western Kentucky to capture the Myrtle Beach Invitational Championship.

It was a complete effort both offensively and defensively. There was a different leading scorer in each game: B.J. Taylor (14 points) vs. Cal State Fuller, Terrell Allen (22 points) vs. St. Joe's and Aubrey Dawkins (21 points) vs. WKU. The Knights also held all three teams to 40 percent shooting or less.

Johnny Dawkins met with the media on Wednesday as his team resumed practice in advance of Saturday's home game with Northern Kentucky.

Obviously FAU was a disappointing loss, but how pleased were you to see the guys rebound and win the Myrtle Beach Classic?

"I was proud of our guys. I thought they did a great job of regrouping and heading to the next play. With that mindset, I thought they carried over well into all three games."

Which win in the tournament was most impressive to you?

"I think the championship game was the most impressive. We got behind early. Got behind by double digits. Our guys had to really lock in and focus and finish out the half strong, then came out with a strong second half."

How can that vault you guys forward?

"I think it's always helpful whenever you can win a championship. There aren't many of those being given out in any season. For our guys to accomplish that is good. I think it does help us confidence wise as we move forward in the season. We also have to keep it in perspective, understanding that we still have to go out and get better every day because our opponents."

In the days after the FAU loss, did you see a sharpened focus from the players, realizing what they've got to do to not let something like that happen again?

"There are lessons in every game, win or lose. The lessons we learned in that game is every team is good. There's so much parity in college basketball. You're going to face good competition every night and you need to be prepared for that. We weren't defending to the level we knew we were capable of. It really hit home. Not just that we lost, but the amount of point we gave up. It was a one-point loss, but we gave up 80 points. Way more than we want to give up with our identity here defensively. I think our guys really understood that because it was a stark reminder that we win on the defensive end."

What's the schedule with the holiday?

"We have to stay focused and understand we need to keep getting better. We're going to keep working. We have a game this weekend against Northern Kentucky. They're a very good basketball program. We're all making sure we're preparing and trying to improve."

How did you like seeing Aubrey really start to step up especially in the second half of that WKU game?

"I was happy for Aubrey. It's been a long time. He's been out for two years. For him to have an opportunity to be in that type of situation and step up for us I thought was good. Our whole team was terrific. I thought everybody gave us a lift every single game. I thought all of our games were team wins. I'm happy he was able to be a part of it."

Opponents say they have to prepare for two teams, when Tacko is on the floor and when he's not.

"I have to prepare for it myself, when Tacko is in and when he's out. It's good. I think it's hard to scout because when he's in the game we're on team and when he's out we become another. I think it makes it difficult for teams in preparation. Also for our guys, that they're accustomed to it so they kind of understand what we can take advantage of. I think it works out well for us in our overall development."

Terrell Allen had 22 points against St. Joseph's, how refreshing was that to see?

"I think it's important to know that everyone of our guys is a threat out there on the floor. That's what they all worked hard this summer to become. Terrell showed that of course in the tournament. He was able to have a game where he had 22 points. 4-for-5 from the three-point line. That opens us more things for us as a team. We have more guys capable of doing that as well. That's what you want to see. When you have a good team with depth, a number of guys are capable of stepping up during the season. I think you've seen already in the five games we've had, we've had three or four guys step up as different leading scorers. That says a lot about our overall balance."

Terrell Allen, was he a guy during the offseason that really improved his offensive game or was it something he had but wasn't asked to do last year?

"He also improved. He's improved his offensive game. He knew it was something he needed to work on and he did. If you get a chance to speak with him, he spent a lot of time in the gym. Long nights improving his perimeter game. I think it's shown."

Northern Kentucky, what kind of team do they have?

"Well coached. They play really good basketball. They space the floor well. They have tremendous shooters. Versatile big guys. They're a good team. A team that's had a lot of success over the last couple years. I know it's going to be a tough opponent."

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving season?

"I'm always thankful for my family. I'm thankful for this opportunity I have to coach here at UCF. Thankful for my team. We have a great group of guys. I'm very fortunate to be their coach."

I heard you tell the players you weren't pleased with the practice today.

"Did you hear me say that? Eavesdropping. I think we need to make sure we stay locked in. We need to stay focused. We've had a couple days off after the tournament. Now we're trying to get ourselves going again. We want to make sure we work at a high level. Everything we do, we're a blue-collar team. We're going to bring our lunch pail and hard hat and we're going to work. Today I don't think we worked as hard as we're capable of."

Is the team doing anything special for Thanksgiving?

"We're going to get together tomorrow as a team for Thanksgiving. We'll have a nice team meal. We'll have turkey and all the stuffing, the cranberry sauce. We'll have it all. I think they'll enjoy the meal. We did it last year as well. Just a good team-bonding opportunity. Since they can't spend time with their families this time of year, we spend it with each other which is great."

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

"That's a tough one. I like a lot of different things. For me, it probably would be my wife's banana pudding."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News