ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Dawkins?

georgiaknight

Five-Star Recruit
Sep 3, 2006
Excuse me, but we hired Johnny Dawlins because he could coach or because he's famous ex-Duke player? I expect you could count on the fingers of one hand how many great players have been good coaches, ever! See Johnny Dawlins.

At a superior program at Stanford her made the NCAA tournament one time; that's why he's here and not still there. Recruiting is only a part of the equation. UCF is currently :

341st 3Pt Pct
275th FG Pct
344th FT Pct
345th Scoring Out of 351 teams! That includes about 150 teams that are of Div !! quality and who you've never heard of. This team is basically a disaster. Don't give me, the injuries; I could produce better results and I've never coached a kid over 10.

Yeah we suck on offense but one of the best defensive teams in D1. This second season for him has been extremely disappointing, a major step back from last year. The lack of recruiting is what has concerned me most, not one of these kids he's brought in is ncaa tournament starter caliber except for maybe ceez in a couple years. Still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt moving forward and hope this season went wrong due to injuries and lack of chemistry with new players. A healthy ucf team next year with all of our main guys except aj returning should be an ncaa tournament lock and I'd begin to be concerned with the dawkins hire if we're any worse than an 8 seed or so. He'll also have 4 or 5 scholarships to give for the '19 class so we'll know a whole lot more at this point next season.

You can’t just discount injuries...even more so when they occur to some of your most impactful players. Twice (arguably three times but who knows how good Dawkins Jr actually would have been for us).

If we are still seeing this in one or two years, sure, panic.

Reactions: tribbleorlfl
Injuries and right now locked into a 2nd straight year in the NIT.
Some programs are lucky to even obtain this kind of success and that includes a couple of past UCF teams who would be happy with three quality wins.

Reactions: tribbleorlfl
Excuse me, but we hired Johnny Dawlins because he could coach or because he's famous ex-Duke player? I expect you could count on the fingers of one hand how many great players have been good coaches, ever! See Johnny Dawlins.

At a superior program at Stanford her made the NCAA tournament one time; that's why he's here and not still there. Recruiting is only a part of the equation. UCF is currently :

341st 3Pt Pct
275th FG Pct
344th FT Pct
345th Scoring Out of 351 teams! That includes about 150 teams that are of Div !! quality and who you've never heard of. This team is basically a disaster. Don't give me, the injuries; I could produce better results and I've never coached a kid over 10.

I'm glad you're not the AD at UCF.

Injuries and right now locked into a 2nd straight year in the NIT.
Some programs are lucky to even obtain this kind of success and that includes a couple of past UCF teams who would be happy with three quality wins.
DJ and crew couldn’t even get a CBI invite most years. The best little Jordan and tiny PG could do was CBI. Glad we moved on from that coach and those types of players who thought they were great but barely accomplished anything.

Dawkins is doing fine. He just needs to recruit his own players so that he isn't so dependent on BJ.

The main problem is he has recruited his own players' during his first 2 classes and so far, almost all are not at an AAC quality level.

He better pick up a lot more quality in the late signing period in April as he can't have 3 "bad" recruiting classes in a row, especially after all the $$$ Danny White has given to Dawkins budget which should make recruiting excell.

lol it was nice selling that pile that smoke when we moved from the ASun to a decimated CUSA which was still 15 spots better than where we came from.
I will give leadership credit for acknowledging that a school with more than 40k students at the time needed to be perceived more than a for profit institution.

It's hard to recruit to a school that has only been to 4 NCAA Tournies and were 16 seeds most of the time. Only 2 marginal NBA Players to help sell program. He has to build brand from bottom.It will take time.

+1

AAEAAQAAAAAAAANGAAAAJGJkZGE1NDQ3LWQ2ZTQtNDI1NS05NzlhLTA2MmNmZTY2MTU4Mw.jpg

The main problem is he has recruited his own players' during his first 2 classes and so far, almost all are not at an AAC quality level.

He better pick up a lot more quality in the late signing period in April as he can't have 3 "bad" recruiting classes in a row, especially after all the $$$ Danny White has given to Dawkins budget which should make recruiting excell.

We just need a private jet for road games. That is the difference between average and elite talent level schools.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs

agreed....he hasn't delivered on recruiting with more assets than Donnie had....give him the rest of this season, a recruiting class and next year to right the ship and move it fast forward....it's time for basketball to deliver (we all thought it would be this year)....

if he can, great....if he can't, replace him....for our athletics to be considered the elite program of the non P5 conferences, UCF must get very positive results from its basketball program....and that's missing now

Reactions: Knight_Light
According to Realtime RPI, Dawkins hasn't had one bad loss in his two years at UCF. Donnie Jones had five his first two years.
While Jones has brought UCF to the Top 25 his first year, Dawkins has never led UCF to multiple consecutive losses.
I'm fine with Dawkins steady hand. An NCAA tournament appearance would be great, but two NITs will be alright, as long as we're consistently good.

According to Realtime RPI, Dawkins hasn't had one bad loss in his two years at UCF. Donnie Jones had five his first two years.
While Jones has brought UCF to the Top 25 his first year, Dawkins has never led UCF to multiple consecutive losses.
I'm fine with Dawkins steady hand. An NCAA tournament appearance would be great, but two NITs will be alright, as long as we're consistently good.

NIT this season (as of now) would mean UCF finished strong and for some upset wins.

Odds aren't great to make the NIT now but if UCF can win their conf tournament at Amway, they make it to the big dance!

Reactions: firm_bizzle
NIT this season (as of now) would mean UCF finished strong and for some upset wins.

Odds aren't great to make the NIT now but if UCF can win their conf tournament at Amway, they make it to the big dance!
They were projected 4th seed bracket in the NIT 13 days ago, but now dropped to 8th.

Defense, simple as that. Holding teams to low point totals, forcing them to use the whole clock and court most of the time, causes our Offense to be held to low point totals as well.

Of course, now that our major, defensive components are gone, that's pretty much changed.

Defense, simple as that. Holding teams to low point totals, forcing them to use the whole clock and court most of the time, causes our Offense to be held to low point totals as well.

Of course, now that our major, defensive components are gone, that's pretty much changed.
Defense by using offense to hold the ball is a losers way of playing. How about we score and then lock down defend like Cincy does? It’s getting them a 2 seed in NCAAs.

So our history is we made the dance how many times in our history and we're complaining about a return trip to the NIT for a school not known for Basketball? I'll take that all day every day. Should we expect more moving forward? Absolutely! Dawkins has yet to play with a full class of only his recruits. Perhaps he's blending his ideal way of play until that happens.

The only thing that kills me at this point is our FT shooting %. How the fk are you not shooting FTs every single chance you aren't practicing, doing drills or sucking wind to get better?

Side question, what are the odds that a team makes the tournament anyway?

So our history is we made the dance how many times in our history and we're complaining about a return trip to the NIT for a school not known for Basketball? I'll take that all day every day. Should we expect more moving forward? Absolutely! Dawkins has yet to play with a full class of only his recruits. Perhaps he's blending his ideal way of play until that happens.

The only thing that kills me at this point is our FT shooting %. How the fk are you not shooting FTs every single chance you aren't practicing, doing drills or sucking wind to get better?

Side question, what are the odds that a team makes the tournament anyway?
He says they practice FT and 3 Pt shooting everyday. They hit them in practice but not always in games. Odds to make Tourney is about 8% right now.

Even with a 68 team field, college hoops is stacked more against the little guys than college football is. UCF should be a bubble team on the right side of the bubble this year but will probably get excluded in favor of a 9th place ACC team who has already lost to 10 tournament teams. Look at Rhode island this year. If they don't win their conference tourney it's possible that they don't make it and even if they do they're probably looking at a 9 seed or lower. It's obvious to anyone who has watched them that they are a really good team but because they aren't in a major conference they aren't respected.

Man, they need to bring in a psyche guy or something. That shyt is ridiculous.

Is that % just for us? I'm talking any team in general to start a season. Point I'm making is that out of all the D1 BBall teams out there, it's pretty GD hard to get into the tournament and the fact of the matter is we aren't there yet.

Man, they need to bring in a psyche guy or something. That shyt is ridiculous.

Is that % just for us? I'm talking any team in general to start a season. Point I'm making is that out of all the D1 BBall teams out there, it's pretty GD hard to get into the tournament and the fact of the matter is we aren't there yet.
Divide 370 by 68. That’s the chances of each team. Obviously top 10 conference members have more of a chance of at large bid. Bottom conferences have to win their conference tourney and probably 1 out of 14 Chance or so.
This was supposed to be our year. 2 big injuries and a 3rd when it doesn’t really matter now killed it. We want to make NIT just for extra practice time and maybe to host a game. But still a disappointment when you wanted to be on national stage and a chance to do something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT