ADVERTISEMENT

***Jordan Johnson: 'Everybody circles the UCF game on their schedule' ***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

A win is a win, but the biggest positive of UCF's blowout of UConn might have been the fact starters got to sit in the second half. That's especially important going into a short week as UCF visits Cincinnati on Friday night in a key American Athletic Conference showdown.

It's not the same as a bye week, but center Jordan Johnson appreciates the fact they were able to sustain a little less wear and tear by pulling away from UConn early.

"Not as much as I would be had I played a full game," Johnson said. "It was good to get the young guys a lot of experience. I'm out of here in a couple months, so it's good to get the next group some real playing time."

With the starters out of the game, true freshman and backup center Matt Lee saw the most extended action of his young career, playing in a total of 39 snaps.

"I'm always trying to encourage Matt Lee, just trying to let him know that I believe in him," Johnson said. "As soon as I'm gone, this is your show. You can do it, bro. I'm trying to teach him everything I know, so to see him go out and really apply the things I've been trying to teach him, that's really encouraging."

Adrian Killins Jr. briefly was standing behind me, so I asked Johnson which was his favorite touchdown from the last game, whether it was Gabriel Davis' long touchdown reception or AK's 75-yard run.

"Gabe Davis' was a lot of fun," Johnson said. "But the one when AK is running down the sideline, you go watch the film and you'll see me chasing behind him. I don't know if I should be saying this, but AK told me that if he breaks one and he's running down the sideline and nobody is around, if I run up behind him he'll throw it back to me. So I'm trying to get me my first touchdown. Every time AK breaks you're gonna see JJ running behind him."

Though the score in last year's game against Cincinnati appeared lopsided (38-13), the Bearcats did a very good job in limiting UCF's rushing attack. Defensive end Michael Pitts can wreak havoc, with 4.0 sacks and 6.0 tackles for loss through four games.

"I have a lot of respect for their interior linemen and linebackers on the second level as well," Johnson said. "Playing against them over the last couple years, I had a lot of respect for the last two d-linemen they had. I know the guys coming in behind them are just as good. Should be fun."

Johnson knows this is a game Cincinnati and their fans have circled on their calendar.

"Very hostile," he said when asked about the atmosphere they're expecting. "We know that the fans are going to be crazy. It's going to be really loud. We have different implementations just for that. I know we're going to get their best game and best environment. That's encouraging us to go out there and be successful."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News