ADVERTISEMENT

Juneteenth Will Be a Federal Holiday

sk8knight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
The Senate unanimously passed a bill naming Juneteenth the 12th federal holiday in honor of the ending of slavery. This is a good commemoration from all sides.

The interesting thing in the story below is that paying for one day off for all federal employees costs 600 milllion dollars. Per year.

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
I'll take another holiday.
My problem is when they take another away.

Columbus, now Indigenous, Day was expected.
Presidents Day was next.
MLKjr is now up for chopping with some.

One more reason for lazy Federal employees to sit on their ass, on my dime. We do not need more paid holidays, we need less. I would argue there should be none. I am self employed, I take off for 2 or 3 of them, and that is on my own dime, not the taxpayers.

Reactions: Nautiknight
The Senate unanimously passed a bill naming Juneteenth the 12th federal holiday in honor of the ending of slavery. This is a good commemoration from all sides.
I agree. If people are concerned about the cost, I would suggest there are some federal holidays that we don't need anymore.

By the way, if you've ever interacted with any European businesses, you come away feeling like Americans are little worker ants who MUST live, breathe, and sleep work 24/7, 7 days a week.

Reactions: ProAttitude
I agree. If people are concerned about the cost, I would suggest there are some federal holidays that we don't need anymore.

By the way, if you've ever interacted with any European businesses, you come away feeling like Americans are little worker ants who MUST live, breathe, and sleep work 24/7, 7 days a week.

We are little worker ants who must live, breathe and sleep work. It’s been drilled into our heads from before you’re even old enough to work.

Our live/work balance is all sorts of off. It’s not sustainable.

What the **** are these people doing taking days off? This is Murcia. Work til the grave. Unless you are a BDS addict posting nonstop. Then complain that other people are getting a break from working.

• Haha
Reactions: DaShuckster
What the **** are these people doing taking days off? This is Murcia. Work til the grave. Unless you are a BDS addict posting nonstop. Then complain that other people are getting a break from working.
Damn right! They earned those days off with all of the overtime they work……

• Haha
Reactions: THX_UCF2
We are little worker ants who must live, breathe and sleep work. It’s been drilled into our heads from before you’re even old enough to work.

Once in a blue moon, I would briefly step out of my 'American worker bee' bubble just long enough to think, "WTF are we DOING???" But then I'd return to the States and step right back into the bubble. Back inside, I'd be too busy to bother about it again.

Once in a blue moon, I would briefly step out of my 'American worker bee' bubble just long enough to think, "WTF are we DOING???" But then I'd return to the States and step right back into the bubble. Back inside, I'd be too busy to bother about it again.
I’m sure the American work ethic has had nothing to do with Americans enjoying the highest standard of living of anyone at any time in history.*

I’m sure the American work ethic has had nothing to do with Americans enjoying the highest standard of living of anyone at any time in history.*

It depends on how you define standard of living, but most people who evaluate this sort of thing do not have America as the highest standard of living.

Last edited:
Reactions: chemmie
Please...our "poor" are walking around with $1,000 iPhones

A lot of people in other countries have iphones and iphones arent the measure of standard of living. We have crazy wealth disparity, expensive healthcare, we are a violent country, etc etc. We certainly have a lot of good things, but to act like we are the end all be all when it comes to standard of living is just false.

• Haha
Reactions: ucfMike

Obey. Work. Consume.

Please...our "poor" are walking around with $1,000 iPhones
Well, I can believe that you do.

News Flash: Obtaining consumer goods is not how standard of living is measured. Also, pretty much every human in the developed, and even many undeveloped countries, also own a cell phone.

A lot of people in other countries have iphones and iphones arent the measure of standard of living. We have crazy wealth disparity, expensive healthcare, we are a violent country, etc etc. We certainly have a lot of good things, but to act like we are the end all be all when it comes to standard of living is just false.
American exceptionalism. They've been spreading this shit since Truman pushed the button.

I spent my work life embracing the Good Ol' Red, White, and Blue American work ethic so you don't have to convince me of the wealth and prosperity it can bring. I was speaking more about establishing a healthy balance.

I'm really enjoying my retirement and wonder how much more enriching my adult work life could have been if I had stopped a bit more often to 'smell the roses.'

Reactions: Knight In TN
If you can’t succeed in the United States you need to look inward. If you're spending a $1,000 on a phone, Jordan's, etc...you need to look at yourself. If your purse is more valuable than the money inside...look at yourself.
You forgot to mention NO HOLIDAYS. Now get to work on those bootstraps while I post on a message board.

If you can’t succeed in the United States you need to look inward. If you're spending a $1,000 on a phone, Jordan's, etc...you need to look at yourself. If your purse is more valuable than the money inside...look at yourself.
A Juneteeth thread turned into talk about "welfare queens" buying phones, Jordans, and designer purses...

...nothing racist about it.

Absolutely nothing.

Basically ...
1) Columbus/Indigenous
2) Presidents, and ...
3) MLKjr

Indeed. I'll agree with you here. Although Germany is an exception.

Usual white men are butthurt again.
Yes, MLKjr is looked at as a 'white holiday' now by enough people.
I wish that wasn't the case, but ... it is, and viewed negatively by some minorities.

I've always looked at MLKjr as the man who spoke for all Americans.
But maybe that's why it is to some too?

Yes, MLKjr is looked at as a 'white holiday' now by enough people.
A number of states -- including Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina and (until 2020) Virginia -- felt the need to combine a federal holiday honoring MLK Jr with one celebrating Confederate Generals, Robert E Lee and/or Stonewall Jackson.

You can't make this shit up. :) :) :)

I don't know where the other countries are but our the real median income of our poor has risen by almost a third in the last 40 years and their standard of living is far beyond any other time.

You can't bring up other countries with respect to the US and not acknowledge the differences in demographics and geography of our country versus all of those European utopias.

• Haha
I don't know where the other countries are but our the real median income of our poor has risen by almost a third in the last 40 years and their standard of living is far beyond any other time.
Say what??? Where do you get this stunning notion of yours that things are so much better, income-wise, for American workers today -- especially the poor -- than they were 40 years ago?

Inquiring minds want to know.

A number of states -- including Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina and (until 2020) Virginia -- felt the need to combine a federal holiday honoring MLK Jr with one celebrating Confederate Generals, Robert E Lee and/or Stonewall Jackson.

You can't make this shit up. :) :) :)
They did it with Presidents Day prior. But Presidents Day has been 'reclaimed,' so MLKjr Day is the next target.

LOL!

People make more money now! Back in 1965, somebody made $15K a year! Now, people make $25K a year! MORE!!!

and don't compare us to anyone. We're the best. No comparison needed. GO 'MURICA!

Say what??? Where do you get this stunning notion of yours that things are so much better, income-wise, for American workers today -- especially the poor -- than they were 40 years ago?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Oh sorry, I didn't link the Census report: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N

Of course, you've been indoctrinated in the wealth envy mantra that the super rich have a higher percentage of wealth, but that doesn't make the poor get more poor. It's not a zero-sum game.

Here, just read this: https://townhall.com/columnists/johnstossel/2021/06/16/the-poor-get-richer-n2591041

You probably won't because it's not in your echo chamber but you should.

You can't bring up other countries with respect to the US and not acknowledge the differences in demographics and geography of our country versus all of those European utopias.
Median income increases have lagged the CPI over the course of the past 40 years. Only when you look at mean incomes do you see an outpacing of the CPI. But you understand why we use medians and not means right?

Median income increases have lagged the CPI over the course of the past 40 years. Only when you look at mean incomes do you see an outpacing of the CPI. But you understand why we use medians and not means right?
Yes, and real median income actually counts the increases in benefits and other compensation that have increased at a faster rate than just income. You can't just look at income versus CPI without accounting for the rest.

Edit: at least the link that I posted attempted to account for that.

Yes, and real median income actually counts the increases in benefits and other compensation that have increased at a faster rate than just income. You can't just look at income versus CPI without accounting for the rest.
Right and the additional gains in benefits has been dwarfed by increases in necessities like healthcare and housing that far far outpace the CPI. Median income has increased by about 500% since 1970 in unadjusted dollars. Healthcare costs are up 850% and housing cost are up 1800% over that time period. The same standard of living today requires massive amounts of accumulated debt. Credit card debt is up 25000% since 1970. This isn’t strictly people running up debt to splurge on luxuries.

Right and the additional gains in benefits has been dwarfed by increases in necessities like healthcare and housing that far far outpace the CPI. Median income has increased by about 500% since 1970 in unadjusted dollars. Healthcare costs are up 850% and housing cost are up 1800% over that time period. The same standard of living today requires massive amounts of accumulated debt. Credit card debt is up 25000% since 1970. This isn’t strictly people running up debt to splurge on luxuries.
But, black people have iPhones and Jordans!!!

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
It's simply AMAZING how much better off Americans are as our country transitioned from 1 income to two-income families, right?
Had women not insisted that they can do everything a man can do and entered the workforce, we would have had fewer workers, thus they could have demanded higher wages. It turned out to be a double-edged sword, just like unfettered immigration.

• Haha
One good measure is home ownership. Median age of a first time home buyer has increased over time since the 70s. But not only that, the house price to income ratio in 1970 was 1.7. It is currently at around 3. So people on average are now older when they are able to purchase their home and also have to finance a much larger portion of their home price.

Reactions: OLearyLastCall
OH.....so THAT was the reason women entered the workforce.

Damn, I've learned SO MUCH on this message board!!!
:)
It's simple economics. What happens to wages when you have an excess of eligible workers? I'm not saying they were right or wrong to do what they did, just that there was a negative side of that coin for wages.

You're going to pull a muscle with that stretch. I owned the first edition Jordan's in my younger years. It was a comment about priorities and wealth building vs using a credit card to purchase high end shoes, purses, clothes, etc instead of blaming "the evil rich"
You forgot “now shine my shoes”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT