ADVERTISEMENT

Just back: report

Hey, how about mega kudos for 'Sombrero Girl' in the student section? She's been there all year. Last night, I'm pretty sure she blew out her vocal chords in the second half when the Illini sharp shooter was shooting his three foul shots. I don't know what she was yelling at that guy, but it looked intense.

Reactions: UCFProf
The NBA and NFL marketing strategy has to be very different from the college model, if only because college attendance is driven by alums (and pseudo-alums who love all things associated with that school). Thus, most all the seats at a pro game are occupied by people living within a commute to the stadium and arena. Another huge difference in the pros is that as many as two-thirds of attendees didn't pay a cent for their tickets: business clients and supplier constitute as much as three-fourths of NHL attendance. Those few P5s in big cities may get modest football attendance from the community, but for the rest its alums all the time often traveling sizable distances and staying overnight. For basketball, it's only somewhat more local, but still alum dominated.

Correct. Huge difference between Pro and College season Tix holders (corporate vs individual).

Also, pros don't have to worry much about recruiting while coaches in college want full arenas/stadiums which helps them secure better talent, win more games and so on.

Correct. Huge difference between Pro and College season Tix holders (corporate vs individual).

Also, pros don't have to worry much about recruiting while coaches in college want full arenas/stadiums which helps them secure better talent, win more games and so on.

I think is used to be that way, but not anymore. College football is now big business. The only difference is who you are marketing to, but the concept is the same. You make more off of a half full premium seating stadium than a full low priced stadium. Students "get in free" so there is always a section that is "low priced". Atmosphere is a factor, but not as important as you would believe.

Even there, the difference is huge. In college basketball, even (or especially) in the P5, you get most of your wins at home because you pack crowding in noise pits that give all except much better visiting team win. Illinois State's and Cincinnati's 20+ home win streaks don't even make the top ten in the country. In the NBA, long road trips are so exhausting that the home team automatically has a big home-court advantage; that way there can be spacious-seating, Colosseum-sized arenas designed for the billionaire-owner's revenue, and no thousands of packed in student bleachers of free seating.

Hey, how about mega kudos for 'Sombrero Girl' in the student section? She's been there all year. Last night, I'm pretty sure she blew out her vocal chords in the second half when the Illini sharp shooter was shooting his three foul shots. I don't know what she was yelling at that guy, but it looked intense.

And an honorable mention to the man dressed like a Taco

Reactions: UCFProf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT