ADVERTISEMENT

Kayak Recommendations

mach3ucf

Golden Knight
Apr 24, 2003
Hey everyone I am looking to buy a Kayak, anyone have one that they would recommend with glowing recommendations. Looking to spend $250-400 on one. Prefer less, but the one I want is $449.

85 is the guy to ask. I bought two motion kayaks for my St Pete house to take to Weedon Island and the work great but it depends on the use you want.

Bought two Ocean Kayak tandems last Christmas. We were just looking for something simple and durable to go on small excursions with our kids. We don't do any fishing or large open water kayaking. They've been great so far - no complaints at all.

Canoes > kayaks. Ever try to fit a couple 50qt coolers in a kayak? It will also make you stronger paddling these babies.

I've got a Perception Prodigy 14.5 which is a tandem and IMO the best tandem you can buy. It's light for it's size, has a lot of room, is extremely fast on the water, and is really durable. I've beat it up pretty good. Although there are other tandems made by Hobie, Ocean Kayak, etc that are good.

I've also got an Ocean Kayak Trident 11 for fishing. I looked around and couldn't find a more complete fishing kayak system than this one without going into huge sums of money. It's also really steady for just being 11 feet; I've routinely been able to stand up in calm water on this.

You're going to have a tough time finding a good kayak for $430 without settling for some unsteerable 9 foot junk.

I wonder if there are any photos of my fat ass smashed into a 9' kid kayak. That's how I am picturing mach getting swamped by wakes and sinking on the ICW.

I've purchased a couple Wilderness Systems kayaks and they are great. I've had them both for years but the price point may be higher than what you want to pay. Perception makes a great kayak. also.

Love my Mad River Canoe Synergy Kayak. They've discontinued this model, but it's a kayak/canoe hybrid. I can ride waves, or do multiple day excursions.

Put a tracker on Craigslist for whatever you want, and don't buy new.

Reactions: ProAttitude
Mach,
I don't think you can go wrong with just about any kayak you pick out. But, my personal preference is a sit-on-top kayak (vs. sit in). Make sure you have some sort of dry storage area, as well as a place with bungees to hold in supplies. I loved my kayak when I lived in Tampa, as I fished with it all the time. Kayaks are great to get you to places where boats can't go. You can also sneak up on fish (and other wildlife) by paddling.

Hope it helps. Enjoy.

Thank you to those that gave advice,
I have been renting them, and at $20+ each time, i decided its probably best just to buy one.
I am between a 10' Pelican, or a 10' Perception.

To all those looking for something fun to do in South Florida, it is a charity it is called Shake a Leg, and they do a lot of nice things based off of rentals. Both Kayaks & Sailing, At least its been a good cause, but the price is just a little steep, but not bad for a few hours of fun.. And your helping Children with disabilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT