ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Moll 🤦🏻‍♂️

What the frick is going on with our linebacking corps? It all seemed to start falling apart when Tatum Bethune announced that he was transferring and we‘ve been getting snake-bit ever since.
Every time we seem to get a bit of good LB news, it’s followed up by even more bad news!
I’m officially starting to worry about our defense!

What the frick is going on with our linebacking corps? It all seemed to start falling apart when Tatum Bethune announced that he was transferring and we‘ve been getting snake-bit ever since.
Every time we seem to get a bit of good LB news, it’s followed up by even more bad news!
I thought T Will was a good recruiter…

if we end our last season in the AAC at a Boca Bowl it will feel like UCF may never get back to that 2017-18 level and excitement. Bc the D has to
Be very good if we no longer have an explosive quick strike offense

Totally Drewster

Wonder if he got word is Terrance Lewis is coming back? Or Branden Jennings will join?

Transfers don't want to play backup.
Why would LB position be sewn up by freshmen, one that has zero playing experience, coming off a serious injury, and has off the field issues, and another that has limited playing time, hasn't joined yet and now bailing on his second team in a couple months.

The only thing either of those two have for them at this point is a good HS recruiting profiles. Unless staff is telling players differently.

I am hoping this is not NIL related.
Skeptical to believe that NIL money is so plenty that someone like Kris Moll is getting lured. He's not bad, but I highly doubt he is that coveted that people are making sales pitches to him.

More likely just felt like he found a better landing spot. Outside of UCF LB depth being very weak and the position is wide open, nothing seems to scream that players want to be apart of this group with the examples of players leaving in the last 6 months.

Why would LB position be sewn up by freshmen, one that has zero playing experience, coming off a serious injury, and has off the field issues, and another that has limited playing time, hasn't joined yet and now bailing on his second team in a couple months.

The only thing either of those two have for them at this point is a good HS recruiting profiles. Unless staff is telling players differently.
They provide higher long-term upside. Moll can only be here for 1 year. Is he making the NFL?

Jennings and Lewis can be here for up to 4 more and have higher ceilings.

More playing time now, translates to better players next year.

They provide higher long-term upside. Moll can only be here for 1 year. Is he making the NFL?

Jennings and Lewis can be here for up to 4 more and have higher ceilings.

More playing time now, translates to better players next year.
Wouldn't that be deal for two freshman to learn from grad senior that has led his previous team in tackles? One of them could easily redshirt as well.

I do agree more playing time helps for later, but that means you are basically saying the LB position will be like DB in 2020. Just expect it to suck and hope its better next year.

I thought T Will was a good recruiter…

if we end our last season in the AAC at a Boca Bowl it will feel like UCF may never get back to that 2017-18 level and excitement. Bc the D has to
Be very good if we no longer have an explosive quick strike offense
On the one hand you have a good Recruiter.
On the other hand you have a Recruiter (good, bad, or indifferent) that is going to pay you money.
Who wins?
I don't know, it's an 18 year old making this decision.

BTW, we've almost always had average-to-poor linebacking. It's the hardest position group in college to get talent in and develop. Now, you throw in the ability for some other school to basically recruit your talent and pay them money. The portal is going to givith and taketh, no matter what happens in recruiting talent out of high school.

I’m guessing the staff isn’t laying all its hopes on Lewis.
I hope that the worst case scenario is that Lewis will be suspended for a few games to start the season. Maybe he will be totally cleared as we don't know the full story. Only what was released in the news. Hoping for the best.

On the one hand you have a good Recruiter.
On the other hand you have a Recruiter (good, bad, or indifferent) that is going to pay you money.
Who wins?
I don't know, it's an 18 year old making this decision.
So if T Will gets a good a recruit the player either didn't get money or didn't want money, if another team gets the recruit its because of money.

Seems like a convenient explanation to just say everyone else is bribing players every time a recruiting battle is lost and not hold the staff accountable. Too bad Heupel/Shannon couldn't use that, maybe their reputation wouldn't be so bad around here.

So if T Will gets a good a recruit the player either didn't get money or didn't want money, if another team gets the recruit its because of money.

Seems like a convenient explanation to just say everyone else is bribing players every time a recruiting battle is lost and not hold the staff accountable. Too bad Heupel/Shannon couldn't use that, maybe their reputation wouldn't be so bad around here.
It may be convenient but it will be true going forward. The shackles of the rich P5 boosters are off.....no more worrying about get caught giving cars, fake jobs, or $100 handshakes.

College football is currently the least regulated sport in terms of player movement and salary in the world. No contracts, no salary caps, and little if any paperwork. Won’t be long until the government starts poking their head in with their hand out.

Reactions: Yaes
Okay, so to reset all the activity in the LB room over the spring…

UCF runs a base 4-2-5 defense. With two linebackers in the field, you ideally have four in the rotation (three guys, and a depth/special teams backer). For example, last year it was Bethune, JJB, and Gilyard (and then Armstrong) - with Mosier being the depth/ST guy.

Now, you’re looking at JJB and Johnson (E. Illinois transfer, didn’t play in the Spring), and a bunch of question marks:
-Jennings (will he have to sit out a year, waiver?)
-Mosier (what was his injury? How much time will he miss?)
-Incoming True freshmen: Moore (decent size, has a chance to see the field as a true freshmen this season), Bullard (looks to me to be more of a ‘Wild Knight’ safety/rover, rather than a prototypical D1 LB).
-Lewis (well-documented questions, no need to be redundant).

With the combination of Bethune/Joyce/Leonard/Moll out of the equation, Mosier’s injury/status, Jennings’ waiver, and well…Lewis…I would be on the lookout for one more transfer. That will be a lot of work in the summer/fall to get guys ready, but UCF needs bodies.

Would they consider - as a last resort - converting one of their six or seven RBs to LB? It’s not unprecedented.

Reactions: knightgawd
What was the situation with Joey Gatewood? Wasn’t he eligible to play immediately even after his 2nd transfer? I’m not sure how all of this works but hopefully Branden Jennings can get a similar waiver.

Would they consider - as a last resort - converting one of their six or seven RBs to LB? It’s not unprecedented.
In fact, we did just that with Jonathan Davis in the early 10s.

Over 500 yards from scrimmage, 5 TDs plus 130 yards of kick/punt returns in his first two years

155 tackles, 20 for loss and 5.5 sacks in his last two years

The question is who? Davis played both in HS but was more known as a LB with a great motor. If he wasn’t 5’ 9” or so he would have been a P5 guy.

Okay, so to reset all the activity in the LB room over the spring…

UCF runs a base 4-2-5 defense. With two linebackers in the field, you ideally have four in the rotation (three guys, and a depth/special teams backer). For example, last year it was Bethune, JJB, and Gilyard (and then Armstrong) - with Mosier being the depth/ST guy.

Now, you’re looking at JJB and Johnson (E. Illinois transfer, didn’t play in the Spring), and a bunch of question marks:
-Jennings (will he have to sit out a year, waiver?)
-Mosier (what was his injury? How much time will he miss?)
-Incoming True freshmen: Moore (decent size, has a chance to see the field as a true freshmen this season), Bullard (looks to me to be more of a ‘Wild Knight’ safety/rover, rather than a prototypical D1 LB).
-Lewis (well-documented questions, no need to be redundant).

With the combination of Bethune/Joyce/Leonard/Moll out of the equation, Mosier’s injury/status, Jennings’ waiver, and well…Lewis…I would be on the lookout for one more transfer. That will be a lot of work in the summer/fall to get guys ready, but UCF needs bodies.

Move KD McDaniel back to LB from DE. Target another depth DE in the portal

What was the situation with Joey Gatewood? Wasn’t he eligible to play immediately even after his 2nd transfer? I’m not sure how all of this works but hopefully Branden Jennings can get a similar waiver.
Even guys that enter the portal now (after the mythical May 1 date) are still listed as immediately eligible. Every last one of them.

In fact, we did just that with Jonathan Davis in the early 10s.

Over 500 yards from scrimmage, 5 TDs plus 130 yards of kick/punt returns in his first two years

155 tackles, 20 for loss and 5.5 sacks in his last two years

The question is who? Davis played both in HS but was more known as a LB with a great motor. If he wasn’t 5’ 9” or so he would have been a P5 guy.
Exactly, Davis was who I was thinking about when I posted that. He was very undersized, but tough as nails (and had a pedigree of playing both ways in high school).

Anthony Williams (6-1, 215) or Chris Bowerfind (6-0, 210) are names I’ve come up with, but who knows if they have any history/experience playing LB in HS or not? Even as just a fifth or sixth LB, they could potentially provide more value than at RB.

ADVERTISEMENT