ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of talent or coaching….

I’d like to think it’s the lack of Heup recruiting coming home to roost, but can’t say for certain

It would be nice to have Dallas Corbitt, Keenan Hester, JJB, Quadric Bullard, Dyllon Lester, Landon Woodson, Malachi Lawrence, Brandon Jennings, Terrence Lewis, and Quade Mouser available for Saturday.

Instead, true freshmen Jamal Johnson, Kam Moore, and the Henderson twins are in the two deep.

It would be nice to have Dallas Corbitt, Keenan Hester, JJB, Quadric Bullard, Dyllon Lester, Landon Woodson, Malachi Lawrence, Brandon Jennings, Terrence Lewis, and Quade Mouser available for Saturday.

Instead, true freshmen Jamal Johnson, Kam Moore, and the Henderson twins are in the two deep.
So then you’re saying it’s a talent issue not a coaching problem? What concerns me is there has been absolutely no progress made on the defensive side. In fact I would argue they have regressed. Why are the coaches not addressing the issues that have been plaguing them all season?

So then you’re saying it’s a talent issue not a coaching problem? What concerns me is there has been absolutely no progress made on the defensive side. In fact I would argue they have regressed. Why are the coaches not addressing the issues that have been plaguing them all season?
I am saying it is a depth issue. It's a long season. Attrition is a part of the game. UCF is depending on guys now that we're receiving garbage time just to a few weeks ago.

The Knights are lucky to have had so many key players healthy for as long as they have been.

You can't bleed a turnip, however. Depth is growing razor thin. There isn't anybody else to put in.

At FS, for example, UCF will be without Koby Perry for a half against Tulane. Quadric Bullard is apparently out for the season with a leg injury. That leaves Jarvis Ware, William Wells, and Demari Henderson at FS--none of whom played any significant time last season.

We are thin at LB with Bethune gone and JJB being banged up. It all starts there. Our passing defense has actually been ok. We are tied for 9th in the country in allowing passing touchdowns. But our DL is undersized and doesn’t cause enough havoc plays. In the secondary we play a lot of soft coverage which limits the big passing plays, but also leads to opposing offenses being able to move it methodically and keeping them on the field.

We are thin at LB with Bethune gone and JJB being banged up. It all starts there.

Losing Eriq Gilyard (13th on Kansas in tackles), failing to sign Kristopher Moll (9th on Washington in tackles), and missing on Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey (9th on Texas in tackles) hurts as well.
But our DL is undersized and doesn’t cause enough havoc plays. In the secondary we play a lot of soft coverage which limits the big passing plays, but also leads to opposing offenses being able to move it methodically and keeping them on the field.
Losing Kalia Davis hurt because he was able to pass rush from the interior. UCF needed one more rush end to help replace the production of BigCat.

No one, however, could have foreseen the losses of Malachi Lawrence and Landon Woodson.

we've regressed each week, but i don't think it's because of coaching. in the heat of the moment i default to blaming t-will and the rest, but with a cool head you realize we're regressing each week because the personnel is getting worse each week.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Secondary has been suspect all year after being told they were strong this year.

Honestly when we struggle it's like we forget wtf we are even doing on the field and it's super frustrating. Need to add a head shrink to the staff going into the B12 to help these guys focus and get their minds right. It's not like talent fades from your body all of a sudden.

I think it is talent/speed problem This team still has tons of holes to fill. I think we have done well to win 9 the last 2 years.

Reactions: U C to the F
Defense throwing their hands up because they are confused and being out of position is not a talent issue. This was occurring often in the past few games. Pretty sure that was 4 star Nikai Martinez getting roasted in there often as well as 4 star Divaad Wilson. The DBs playing everything 10 yards off and then trying to tackle skill players in space is a defensive scheme issue. There are no impact players on the horizon that are going to be substantially better that those on the roster right now. Remember all the hype about the 5 star LB transfer Terrance Lewis and 4 star Brandon Jennings? They turned out to be backups who made no impact. Our best defensive player transferred to FSU. I don’t see how this situation improves next year.

Reactions: KnightsUCF
It’s definitely coaching. Offense is straight out of 1988. Who has a mostly running offense these days? No one good.
Tulane in 2022…they are healthy and execute. Not so good every other season, though. Most styles work if you have players that can properly execute it at a high level. Almost all teams don’t have the players to execute it at a very high level consistently. When you do, it’s a thing if beauty’s when you don’t it’s name-calling and finger-pointing.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
They also have a top tier D. Ours is about 100.
#71….includes Tulane game. I think we were in the upper 40s like 4-5 games ago. Competition has been better and our defense has regressed. It reminds me of 2020 where the wheels just came off the defense and they couldn’t stop anything.

Tulane in 2022…they are healthy and execute. Not so good every other season, though. Most styles work if you have players that can properly execute it at a high level. Almost all teams don’t have the players to execute it at a very high level consistently. When you do, it’s a thing if beauty’s when you don’t it’s name-calling and finger-pointing.
They’ve thrown for over 3,000 yards. Thats pretty good.

Reactions: Yaes
#71….includes Tulane game. I think we were in the upper 40s like 4-5 games ago. Competition has been better and our defense has regressed. It reminds me of 2020 where the wheels just came off the defense and they couldn’t stop anything.
Our total defense is 88. Last year was 54.

Reactions: ReturnOf
..On the defensive side? No pass rush, no run defense, no pass defense, bad angles, bad tackling. Every downfield throw ends with a PI call. I’m starting to believe the defensive staff is clueless as there has been ZERO progression all season. Thoughts?
Steady downhill progression all year. Gave up over 650 yards against Tulane. What are we really losing?

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
They have totally regressed. No argument needed :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT