ADVERTISEMENT

LOL, so ESPN does admit we have no chance to make CFP.

What horseshit.....ESPN playing their games again by trying to calibrate the casual fan. "Already down to 9"...what the hell kind of statement is that in light of the fact that the playoff committee doesn't release their first rankings for nearly a month. Putting Michigan and Washington in the 9 teams just lost whatever shred of credibility this article may have contained. I wish I was a wealthy attorney with time on my hands.....this would certainly make for an interesting case!

Call me crazy but I think the CFPI committee tries a preemptive strike and includes us if we go undefeated for the very reason some of you are mentioning; they don't want the attention that could come from litigation/talking heads/etc about leaving out a clearly very good team.

I would rather play in the playoff and lose than win another NY6 bowl. That said, part of me is hoping that we are left out again so we see further implosion of the current system.

Honestly our best hope is that the BIG12 is left out of the playoff again and essentially forces their hand to expand to 12, have a championship game, and give some more meaning to their games when OU isn't playing.

Call me crazy but I think the CFPI committee tries a preemptive strike and includes us if we go undefeated for the very reason some of you are mentioning; they don't want the attention that could come from litigation/talking heads/etc about leaving out a clearly very good team.

I would rather play in the playoff and lose than win another NY6 bowl. That said, part of me is hoping that we are left out again so we see further implosion of the current system.

Honestly our best hope is that the BIG12 is left out of the playoff again and essentially forces their hand to expand to 12, have a championship game, and give some more meaning to their games when OU isn't playing.

All smart except for the belief/hope that the committee has the ability to overcome their bias. I don't actually believe they are smart enough to think through your first paragraph. Their bias about the only teams worth watching are the upper level P5 is too huge to overcome with rational thought. They'd probably piss bricks if Vandy or Wake Forest suddenly became good enough to get in.

I am torn. Big part of hopes this team does it again and gets snubbed which could trigger action either through intense outcry or legal action. The system is bad, very bad and needs to expand , I prefer 16 teams, 10 automatic bids for all conferences including MAC and Sunbelt plus 6 at large. I would settle for 8 only if a G6 spot is guaranteed.

Then the other part says I hope we get an invite and I hope we get the number 3 seed so we can face Alabama in the finals. If we get the invite then we validate the system is fair, which it is not and then we go away.

I think legal action unfortunately is the only way to break up the monopolly here.

Keep your bogus playoff. Go undefeated, claim another national title and keep putting the asterix next to another "champion". We are shaking up the system and the system is fighting back. But progress can't be stopped. Non P5 teams keep getting better and keep beating P5 teams. Eventually, SOMEONE is going to break that glass ceiling. And if it isn't us, we will still be seen as the school that started the process.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...chances-according-to-espns-playoff-predictor/

UCF homer eviscerated after he calls out ESPN for not including 'defending champs' among Playoff contenders
Eviscerated? She put UCF into her magic machine and it said 0.0 chance. It's ESPN so the secret FPI formula doesn't like UCF(which is a mysterious formula that uses voodoo and Finebaumian grumpiness to produce results. It also uses recruiting and coaching tenure in its preseason rankings, so we screwed).

Reactions: sonnyt23
What horseshit.....ESPN playing their games again by trying to calibrate the casual fan. "Already down to 9"...what the hell kind of statement is that in light of the fact that the playoff committee doesn't release their first rankings for nearly a month. Putting Michigan and Washington in the 9 teams just lost whatever shred of credibility this article may have contained. I wish I was a wealthy attorney with time on my hands.....this would certainly make for an interesting case!

I think we could raise millions in a gofundme campaign to sue these pricks.

Question. Do you guys think if Cincy or USF wins out...they should be in the playoffs? What if a team like Northern Illinois or Marshall goes undefeated in any given year? Playoffs?

Keep your bogus playoff. Go undefeated, claim another national title and keep putting the asterix next to another "champion". We are shaking up the system and the system is fighting back. But progress can't be stopped. Non P5 teams keep getting better and keep beating P5 teams. Eventually, SOMEONE is going to break that glass ceiling. And if it isn't us, we will still be seen as the school that started the process.
I don't care about a playoff as long as we keep winning.

Reactions: ron888
Did the propaganda machine at Disney run out of spin or is it too much work for them to try to pretend?

Question. Do you guys think if Cincy or USF wins out...they should be in the playoffs? What if a team like Northern Illinois or Marshall goes undefeated in any given year? Playoffs?
I could see it - but it would depend a lot on margin of victory (how good they look) and how everyone else around them does.

Except USF. Never USF.

Last season we had memphis and navy in the rankings. This season we got squat for a ranked opponent. I don't even see us doing well in the Colley Matrix if there are multiple undefeated teams. This is why the push for an unbiased playoff system for D-I champions entry guaranteed is put into place. A 12 team playoff with 2 rounds prior to Christmas and 2 after does this. Let the lowest ranked 8 teams play the first round and then 8 teams compete in the last 3 rounds as they win. So be it if group of 5 have an uphill battle because they are ranked low every year at this point.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery

Yep, if the situation is the same as last year. A 1 loss team should never be in over a 0 loss team.

I get superstitious about all this talk when there is still some tricky road games to be played

but in my opinion the best case scenario for The Program if it ran the table again is to be left out as crazy as that sounds. It would be talked about all offseason where the maybe it forces change sooner than most expect or calls are made and a Power 5 conference invites UCF.

What are the chances that the P5 powers that be (behind closed doors) determine its less expensive to bring UCF and maybe one other team up to the power level than it is to fight for their corrupt system in the courts and media? If they just graduate the teams capable they get to keep their monopoly.

Last season we had memphis and navy in the rankings. This season we got squat for a ranked opponent. I don't even see us doing well in the Colley Matrix if there are multiple undefeated teams. This is why the push for an unbiased playoff system for D-I champions entry guaranteed is put into place. A 12 team playoff with 2 rounds prior to Christmas and 2 after does this. Let the lowest ranked 8 teams play the first round and then 8 teams compete in the last 3 rounds as they win. So be it if group of 5 have an uphill battle because they are ranked low every year at this point.

Was going to post something similar to this; it would be a nice compromise between the 8 team and 16 team camps..

The top 4 ranked teams get a bye in the first round, and then get matched up with the winners on the second group of eight. You could have the conference WINNERS of the 5 largest leagues, 2-3 winners from the smaller conferences, the best available independent school, 3-4 at large bids. Just like now, some of the bowl games would be set to host the playoff games.

I know, a pipe dream, but one can only...............................

All a big Ponzi. Bloated rankings prop up teams, those with weak schedules don't drop in rank, their end-of-season rank feeds recruit-rankings, recruit-rankings feed pre-season rankings.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Trust me, there are several organizations that have been researching the scam and every detail. Just wait....

Yep, if the situation is the same as last year. A 1 loss team should never be in over a 0 loss team.

This would give a MASSIVE advantage to teams from worse conferences with softer schedules. It’d be very possible for something like the 40th best team in the country to make a 4 team playoff, and that’s pretty silly.

"MASSIVE advantage to teams from worse conferences"

So it is better to give advantage to teams in a 'better' conference? What other sporting event is there such an un-level playing field? Even the NFL reaches for parity.

Plus it isn't a playoff. It is an invitational. A playoff allows winners of their division or conference to make the playoffs.

Reactions: UCFBS
This would give a MASSIVE advantage to teams from worse conferences with softer schedules. It’d be very possible for something like the 40th best team in the country to make a 4 team playoff, and that’s pretty silly.

Wouldn’t that potentially solve the conference parity all together? The Kansas States and Dukes of the world would be free to move to CUSA where they’d have a better shot at making the playoffs. Then we’d have the perfect opportunity to join a real conference.

Strength of conference is a myth. The top 3 of the AAC can compete with the top 3 of any conference. If we played Clemson’s schedule this year we’d have similar if not better results.

Wouldn’t that potentially solve the conference parity all together? The Kansas States and Dukes of the world would be free to move to CUSA where they’d have a better shot at making the playoffs. Then we’d have the perfect opportunity to join a real conference.

Strength of conference is a myth. The top 3 of the AAC can compete with the top 3 of any conference. If we played Clemson’s schedule this year we’d have similar if not better results.

It’s no myth. On average, the P5 schools have more money, more resources, more prestige, better facilities, etc... and thus they attract better players and coaches. There are exceptions like UCF, sure, but we are the outlier. There are essentially no “other” teams with good records against P5 teams over any significant sample. We need to get into a P5 as soon as possible, and once we do, more of our fans’ tunes will change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolside Knight
Clemson has a 56% chance to make the CFP and may not face a single ranked team (only have NC State at #20 at the moment). They played a cream puff out of conference schedule. The conference they play in has faced the American head to head in 6 games and has been outscored 208-190 in going 3-3. Going back 4 years the AAC has played the ACC even over a span of more than 25 games. UCF may very well face 3 ranked teams back to back to end the year yet have a 0% chance while Clemson is a virtual lock. Can somebody explain how this makes sense?

It’s no myth. On average, the P5 schools have more money, more resources, more prestige, better facilities, etc... and thus they attract better players and coaches. There are exceptions like UCF, sure, but we are the outlier. There are essentially no “other” teams with good records against P5 teams over any significant sample. We need to get into a P5 as soon as possible, and once we do, more of our fans’ tunes will change.
Not sure what a “good sample” is since teams only get a chance to play 1 or maybe 2 a year, but hasn’t USF won like 7 straight vs P5 teams now?

Kind of like the massive advantage teams in worse conferences get in college basketball. That’s why there is a Cinderella winning every few years. Oh wait, they never win it.

Of course any undefeated team should be playing in the playoffs until which point they are defeated and proven to not be the best on the field. FBS level football is in fact the only sport where this doesn’t happen. It happens in literally every other sport at every level.

Of course any undefeated team should be playing in the playoffs until which point they are defeated and proven to not be the best on the field. FBS level football is in fact the only sport where this doesn’t happen. It happens in literally every other sport at every level.

That might make sense if there wasn’t such a tremendous difference in schedule strength and if there were more games. But under that proposal, everyone would be trying to play the easiest schedules possible and there would be no legitimate OOC games. It’s already pretty meh but it’d be even worse for colleges football if losing a game essentially completely took a team out of playoff contention.

That might make sense if there wasn’t such a tremendous difference in schedule strength and if there were more games. But under that proposal, everyone would be trying to play the easiest schedules possible and there would be no legitimate OOC games. It’s already pretty meh but it’d be even worse for colleges football if losing a game essentially completely took a team out of playoff contention.
It makes sense in ever other sport at every other level on earth. Sorry you don’t understand that. And it would actually encourage tougher out of conference scheduling because (assuming 16 team playoff) you are looking at at least 6 at large teams that didn’t win their conference where schedule strength would come into play just like college baseball, basketball, intramural badminton, you name it. Literally everything else.

It makes sense in ever other sport at every other level on earth. Sorry you don’t understand that. And it would actually encourage tougher out of conference scheduling because (assuming 16 team playoff) you are looking at at least 6 at large teams that didn’t win their conference where schedule strength would come into play just like college baseball, basketball, intramural badminton, you name it. Literally everything else.

You realize you just named sports where teams play many dozens of games per year, right?

And nearly everyone stands my point. Nearly everyone except you.

I mean, you’re seemingly proposing a system that could have a playoff of North Dakota St, USF, Dartmouth, and Colgate this year. I mean, after all, they’re all undefeated, right?

Last edited:
You realize you just named sports where teams play many dozens of games per year, right?
Not sure what you have against UCF or a team getting the chance to prove themselves on the field. What does number of games matter? I though the problem was letting a team from a “bad” conference into the playoff. This happens in every single sport all the time. MLB and NFL teams have gotten in the playoffs with sub .500 records. It happens all the time in the NBA. FCS has no problem with a playoff system where no team is shut out before the season even begins, but if you like the FBS bowl system where some P5 executives decide who is the best team then more power to you. I’m just saying it is the outlier to have a sport where 50% of the participants are eliminated before a game has been played.

Reactions: drays21
Not sure what you have against UCF or a team getting the chance to prove themselves on the field. What does number of games matter? I though the problem was letting a team from a “bad” conference into the playoff. This happens in every single sport all the time. MLB and NFL teams have gotten in the playoffs with sub .500 records. It happens all the time in the NBA. FCS has no problem with a playoff system where no team is shut out before the season even begins, but if you like the FBS bowl system where some P5 executives decide who is the best team then more power to you. I’m just saying it is the outlier to have a sport where 50% of the participants are eliminated before a game has been played.

Nothing. I would enjoy seeing the playoff expanded. But under the current system, it is especially important to take schedule strength into consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT