ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorn Network?

It should go away.

ESPN was losing their ass on it and it negatively impacted every other member of the Big XII because they couldn't get a network of their own and get more $$

But then Arkansas had an easy 3 game stretch with G5 teams- Rice, Texas, Georgia Southern next week.

Do we really want our own network? Is the cost of running it worth it when all of our FB games are on other networks and other sports don't make much money? Anybody have any insight into this?

So, what happens to the Longhorn Network when Texas enters the SEC? Anybody know?
On the ESPN tv app you can find it, the viewership has to terribly low (at least sparked no interest in me), just showing old games, for live games i think most of their stuff can be found on ESPN or Fox.
IMO, ESPN will pull the plug on it prior to 2025.

We already have the infrastructure for a network. ESPN made us do it for games on +. Creating a network just lets another conference game be on a real network instead of +.
I understand we have the hardware but does it cost the same to broadcast games over cable as it costs on ESPN+? I'm assuming if there's more operating costs they'll come out of our pocket.

What's the benefit of airing on a network over +? Again I'm assuming but fewer and fewer people subscribe to special TV packages anymore. I'm 38 and only stream stuff so it seems like the market for a real network will dwindle fast over the next decade.

I understand we have the hardware but does it cost the same to broadcast games over cable as it costs on ESPN+? I'm assuming if there's more operating costs they'll come out of our pocket.

What's the benefit of airing on a network over +? Again I'm assuming but fewer and fewer people subscribe to special TV packages anymore. I'm 38 and only stream stuff so it seems like the market for a real network will dwindle fast over the next decade.
I’m not sure of cost differential but even if + goes as a loss it’s still getting brand out there. Better than not being shown at all.

I’m not sure of cost differential but even if + goes as a loss it’s still getting brand out there. Better than not being shown at all.
This is true, but that is a false choice. It's not between + or nothing, and if it were, I'm guessing you haven't scrolled through the + choices--- many, many, many, many FCS games, MAC games. You really wouldn't claim that is getting their brand out are you? A Big XII network would do more to get the brand out than 1 of 30, 40 or more + teams. But, as above mentioned, these brand only networks may not actually be working. And then again, + ain't all that great either. Anyone catch the damn good performance by Mack for Old Dominion Sat? Anyone you know actually talking about OD? They're on +

This is true, but that is a false choice. It's not between + or nothing, and if it were, I'm guessing you haven't scrolled through the + choices--- many, many, many, many FCS games, MAC games. You really wouldn't claim that is getting their brand out are you? A Big XII network would do more to get the brand out than 1 of 30, 40 or more + teams. But, as above mentioned, these brand only networks may not actually be working. And then again, + ain't all that great either. Anyone catch the damn good performance by Mack for Old Dominion Sat? Anyone you know actually talking about OD? They're on +
You’re an 80s knight. So you would remember before +, none of our games were on tv or computer. So it is + or nothing. I’ve already said I prefer network because it’s easier to channel surf. But I’m sure there are a few people that watch random games on there. I watched his first game and he looked bad.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT