ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Game Thread

Bianchi made some good points but I think part of what makes the meltdowns after the first loss so widespread is the conference UCF plays in and the limited OOC opportunities. 1-2 loss and UCF is automatically relegated to a Bowl Game before Christmas vs a CUSA type team.

Reactions: Knight59
If you watch the replay there’s a LB standing right in front of the receiver. The guy who made the pick is standing behind him. Clearly thrown into traffic. WR didn’t want to get killed and took his eyes off the ball
This is why qbs are taught not to throw into traffic... Bad things happen... such as WRs injured, incompletions and INTs. Many qb coaches would advise that leading a 160 lb receiver directly into a linebacker is not a good risk to take, especially with 20 seconds left in a must score situation.

Either throw it away or throw it to your right and lead the wr to where he can make the catch after clearing the lb. This is common processing for savvy qbs who react quickly with sound decisions under pressure.

Yes DG has lots of talent. But I suggest we stop blindly making excuses for ill advised passes in critical game situations. How many costly INTs must we suffer before questioning whether there is a troubling pattern borne of questionable decision making under pressure situations?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldest Man
This is why qbs are taught not to throw into traffic... Bad things happen... such as WRs injured, incompletions and INTs. Many qb coaches would advise that leading a 160 lb receiver directly into a linebacker is not a good risk to take, especially with 20 seconds left in a must score situation.

Either throw it away or throw it to your right and lead the wr to where he can make the catch after clearing the lb. This is common processing for savvy qbs who react quickly with sound decisions under pressure.

Yes DG has lots of talent. But I suggest we stop blindly making excuses for ill advised passes in critical game situations. How many costly INTs must we suffer before questioning whether there is a troubling pattern borne of questionable decision making under pressure situations?
I had to take a break from here, that was a tough loss that we should have won (and won by 2 scores, def at least won). We had that game won, crazy how that ended. We had tons of important players injured, Louisville was playing us hard just like every other team that plays up for us, b/c of the Brand. QB scrambles and short passes to WR/RB killed us as always. Missing Barber and not playing TMB early hurt. Bethune was the biggest loss, I think he’s been our best defensive player this year. Ugh, and that INT drop by Armstrong, dang that would have flipped the whole thing.

Was at the game, saw multiple replays of the INT. I find it weird ppl putting blame on DG. He IS a top QB in the entire country, his loss will prove to hurt us a lot. He hit the WR in the lead shoulder, the closest LB was a couple yards off on a bad angle, that was a 10+ yard pickup if the WR catches a well thrown ball. And it wasn’t thrown “too hard”. I know DG hasn’t won the bigger games, especially away games but this one wasn’t on him and the others I would put blame on Heupel more than a young QB.

I have not been impressed with the outfield wind up throwing style of Keene. He also has a weak arm, lots of dying balls at the end that hit ppl below the waist. He has under thrown a lot of balls, but is pretty athletic. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s what I’ve seen. I’m looking for Gatewood to find the field and eventually play majority of snaps going forward, running a more Cam Newton style plays.

Anyways, here’s to Navy and getting back on track. Super worried now though about SMU, Tulane and ECU (Cincy too of course).

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I had to take a break from here, that was a tough loss that we should have won (and won by 2 scores, def at least won). We had that game won, crazy how that ended. We had tons of important players injured, Louisville was playing us hard just like every other team that plays up for us, b/c of the Brand. QB scrambles and short passes to WR/RB killed us as always. Missing Barber and not playing TMB early hurt. Bethune was the biggest loss, I think he’s been our best defensive player this year. Ugh, and that INT drop by Armstrong, dang that would have flipped the whole thing.

Was at the game, saw multiple replays of the INT. I find it weird ppl putting blame on DG. He IS a top QB in the entire country, his loss will prove to hurt us a lot. He hit the WR in the lead shoulder, the closest LB was a couple yards off on a bad angle, that was a 10+ yard pickup if the WR catches a well thrown ball. And it wasn’t thrown “too hard”. I know DG hasn’t won the bigger games, especially away games but this one wasn’t on him and the others I would put blame on Heupel more than a young QB.

I have not been impressed with the outfield wind up throwing style of Keene. He also has a weak arm, lots of dying balls at the end that hit ppl below the waist. He has under thrown a lot of balls, but is pretty athletic. I hope I’m wrong, but that’s what I’ve seen. I’m looking for Gatewood to find the field and eventually play majority of snaps going forward, running a more Cam Newton style plays.

Anyways, here’s to Navy and getting back on track. Super worried now though about SMU, Tulane and ECU (Cincy too of course).
I haven’t seen enough of Keene to have an opinion. Not sure if Navy will be a great litmus test either though. Hoping we can go up big and then experiment with him to see what throws he can make. Coaches and players seem to like him.

Reactions: U C to the F
I haven’t seen enough of Keene to have an opinion. Not sure if Navy will be a great litmus test either though. Hoping we can go up big and then experiment with him to see what throws he can make. Coaches and players seem to like him.
His HS film on Hudl is impressive so are his stats.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
have seen multiple reports of him not having the arm strength of DG but haven’t seen enough to analyze his throwing mechanics

We will see in the next coming weeks, but so far its only been talk and stats. Navarro had similar stats, but better runner. With quotes from staff last fall saying he has it all. Now he's 4th string running the scout team. Keene is the best option right now, but doesn't mean Malzahn is planning for him to be the successor of Gabriel. I'm betting he is recruiting his guy right now.

The forum is littered with comments that Heupel recruits are not up to par. That is what Keene is along with Navarro.

We will see in the next coming weeks, but so far its only been talk and stats. Navarro had similar stats, but better runner. With quotes from staff last fall saying he has it all. Now he's 4th string running the scout team. Keene is the best option right now, but doesn't mean Malzahn is planning for him to be the successor of Gabriel. I'm betting he is recruiting his guy right now.

The forum is littered with comments that Heupel recruits are not up to par. That is what Keene is along with Navarro.
Castellanos is coming next.

I'm one who's surprised Heup didn't bring in higher rated guys but Keene looks excellent on his film. And I'm under the impression his highschool stats were better than any QB we've had recently were when they were in highschool. Been a while since I looked at the stats though.

Reactions: Yaes

Recruiting in general Heup was bad but he was solid in identifying QB prospects, the problem was the process after that. the Gray shirt offer
to DG days before he gets invited to UGA for an OV was really dumb

Reactions: U C to the F
Similar to KZ arm strength?
There’s a ton of practice film I’ve seen along with the HS film and Keene’s arm strength is MUCH less than KZs btw. KZ pre-injury had some decent zip, Soph-Junior year. Im big time worried about Keene’s arm strength, pay attention to his “outfield style” throwing motion and the balls that are under thrown and just die below the waist. That throwing motion is prime for strip sacks, our line gives up a lot of pressure so far too. I’m more a fan of Navarro than Keene at this point.

I do like him, he’s athletic and a winner, but I hate a small, weak armed true freshman starting for us with a bad defense. Gatewood it seems like he is the way, even if we run it a ton and throw it only some. He lost two really close qb battles on two decent SEC teams.

There’s a ton of practice film I’ve seen along with the HS film and Keene’s arm strength is MUCH less than KZs btw. KZ pre-injury had some decent zip, Soph-Junior year. Im big time worried about Keene’s arm strength, pay attention to his “outfield style” throwing motion and the balls that are under thrown and just die below the waist. That throwing motion is prime for strip sacks, our line gives up a lot of pressure so far too. I’m more a fan of Navarro than Keene at this point.

I do like him, he’s athletic and a winner, but I hate a small, weak armed true freshman starting for us with a bad defense. Gatewood it seems like he is the way, even if we run it a ton and throw it only some. He lost two really close qb battles on two decent SEC teams.
I’ll weigh in about 7:30 PM tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT