ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Game Thread

Really tough loss to swallow. I think there simply isn't enough talent on the defensive side of the ball right now. We should not be giving up 500 yards to Louisville.

I think the folks criticizing Gabriel in this thread, are absolute morons. I thought he played almost a mistake free game. He was limited by the loss of his top RB and WR, because of course he was, but still persevered and made plays even on the interception, a perfect throw that was dropped right into the hands of the defender, absolutely nothing he could do about that.
I think nobody is using context when evaluating DG and it sucks to see a pretty talented QB be so unappreciated by our fanbase. Bass was asking for anyone there if he was just not seeing guys or is coverage that good and Jason Beede responded at least during that sequence that coverage was very good. I think the issue is our fans think our skill talent is better than it is..... "clown car of talent" hasn't really been the case in 2 years. Our RBs were fast but can't break tackles vs good defense & our WRs don't nearly create the separation we got spoiled with in 2017-18 and most importantly don't have good hands.

There is a reason Gus was all over the portal and got Bowser.

UCF is my number 2 team… I’ve lived in Winter Park since I graduated from Rollins in 2012… probably been to more UCF games than you
You’re wrong even if you went to every ucf game since 2012.

Stick to your #1 team cuz it seems like you’re a real #2 fan.

It’s now obvious why Gus focused on the transfer portal. Heupel was a terrible recruiter and it has shown the last 3 games especially on the defensive side of the ball. I know we all hated that pass play call but on a positive note.....it’s still better than heupels 4-play playbook.

Really tough loss to swallow. I think there simply isn't enough talent on the defensive side of the ball right now. We should not be giving up 500 yards to Louisville.

I think the folks criticizing Gabriel in this thread, are absolute morons. I thought he played almost a mistake free game. He was limited by the loss of his top RB and WR, because of course he was, but still persevered and made plays even on the interception, a perfect throw that was dropped right into the hands of the defender, absolutely nothing he could do about that.
I disagree with your assessment of a perfect throw. A much better throw would have been to put just little more air under the pass and throw it to the right of the lb to allow the wr to catch it after running past the lbs. A cardinal rule of quarterbacking is to throw the wr open and do not unnecessarily throw him into traffic. On this interception pass DG did the latter.

A natural consequence of unnecessarily throwing it into traffic is what happened here. In other words he threw it to where his wr would have to make a much more difficult catch given the possibility of collision with the oncoming linebacker. That is not a perfect throw because it is the result of an imperfect decision resulting in an unnecessary risk. A risk of exactly what resulted.

In traffic a wr is forced to try to negotiate the catch while avoiding a collision that can thwart the reception. There was a wide open window just east of the lb that would have totally removed that risk of collision. DG did not process that information in time to avoid that risk. He threw it to the exact point where wr, ball and lb all meet at the same place at the same time. That is not the definition of a perfect throw as passes into traffic have a much lower rate of completion. Every qb knows this and knows to avoid throwing it there.

Like everyone else here I wish DG a complete and speedy recovery. But I still have to honestly say that there are multiple factors that led to the interception. Unwillingness or failure to accurately address the circumstances can lead to their future recurrence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormthecourt?
I think nobody is using context when evaluating DG and it sucks to see a pretty talented QB be so unappreciated by our fanbase. Bass was asking for anyone there if he was just not seeing guys or is coverage that good and Jason Beede responded at least during that sequence that coverage was very good. I think the issue is our fans think our skill talent is better than it is..... "clown car of talent" hasn't really been the case in 2 years. Our RBs were fast but can't break tackles vs good defense & our WRs don't nearly create the separation we got spoiled with in 2017-18 and most importantly don't have good hands.

There is a reason Gus was all over the portal and got Bowser.
It seems you fail to appreciate the awesome talent level of our wrs and rbs.

I disagree with your assessment of a perfect throw. A much better throw would have been to put just little more air under the pass and throw it to the right of the lb to allow the wr to catch it after running past the lbs. A cardinal rule of quarterbacking is to throw the wr open and do not unnecessarily throw him into traffic. On this interception pass DG did the latter.

A natural consequence of unnecessarily throwing it into traffic is what happened here. In other words he threw it to where his wr would have to make a much more difficult catch given the possibility of collision with the oncoming linebacker. That is not a perfect throw because it is the result of an imperfect decision resulting in an unnecessary risk. A risk of exactly what resulted.

In traffic a wr is forced to try to negotiate the catch while avoiding a collision that can thwart the reception. There was a wide open window just east of the lb that would have totally removed that risk of collision. DG did not process that information in time to avoid that risk. He threw it to the exact point where wr, ball and lb all meet at the same place at the same time. That is not the definition of a perfect throw as passes into traffic have a much lower rate of completion. Every qb knows this and knows to avoid throwing it there.

Like everyone else here I wish DG a complete and speedy recovery. But I still have to honestly say that there are multiple factors that led to the interception. Unwillingness or failure to accurately address the circumstances can lead to their future recurrence.
Great post. I would say there are many mistakes leading up to the late game meltdown. False start with 4 & inches early killed a chance to go up 14-0.

abandoning the run when bowser went out abecoming one dimensional

many missed tackles or assignments on defense

The pick six sucked but we lost the game for 3.9 quarters before that happened

Wow, alot of armchair QB's. The slant over the middle was an ok call. Maybe the ball had to much zip. Balls bouncing out happens all the time if it slips through the receivers hand and hits their pads. I think Gus would had ran the ball in that situation if Bowser was available.
Bottom line it was a great game with both teams playing hard. We still have some growing pains to work out in the secondary. We saw that last year. I thought Louisville's secondary played good tight coverage Dillion just made NFL throws against it. The bye week is badly needed to get healthy and work on getting better.

Reactions: NestaKnight1
There was a lot of weird play calls, failed trick play after getting the ball in midfield in the 4th quarter.

Gus scared to consistently run the ball unless it's Bowser.

But in the end one team had consistent long drives, 500 yards of offense, less penalties, Louisville played a better game through out. They didn't even pick on a bad secondary, they exposed other weaknesses and piled up yards.

had to rewatch ..that angle he makes the catch and he has some room there to make an angle towards the endzone

Wow, alot of armchair QB's. The slant over the middle was an ok call. Maybe the ball had to much zip. Balls bouncing out happens all the time if it slips through the receivers hand and hits their pads. I think Gus would had ran the ball in that situation if Bowser was available.
Bottom line it was a great game with both teams playing hard. We still have some growing pains to work out in the secondary. We saw that last year. I thought Louisville's secondary played good tight coverage Dillion just made NFL throws against it. The bye week is badly needed to get healthy and work on getting better.
If you watch the replay there’s a LB standing right in front of the receiver. The guy who made the pick is standing behind him. Clearly thrown into traffic. WR didn’t want to get killed and took his eyes off the ball

This is one of those games where it is tempting to blame one late play, one player, or one coaching decision because UCF had a chance to steal it at the end. But the truth is Louisville outplayed us for almost the entire game.

I agree with Colonel Mortimer on this one -- there is not enough talent on defense right now. They gave up 501 yards of total offense to an offensively-challenged Louisville team, including 310 passing yards to a running quarterback. Louisville only scored 30 points and gained 442 yards against Eastern Kentucky. And we can't blame it on the hurry-up offense anymore.

As good as the DL was supposed to be, they have one sack through three games and are struggling to contain the QB. A lot of that has to do with the DB's, who are leaving receivers so laughably wide open that even when we get pressure on the QB he can immediately find a target and get rid of it.

Heupel and Shannon failed to recruit a defensive play-maker in 4 recruiting classes and attrition has reared its ugly head. Even Frost's 2017 defense was filled with O'Leary recruits, so the drought is pretty long. The bottom line is UCF scored 35 points on the road against a Power-5 team and still lost.

This is one of those games where it is tempting to blame one late play, one player, or one coaching decision because UCF had a chance to steal it at the end. But the truth is Louisville outplayed us for almost the entire game.

I agree with Colonel Mortimer on this one -- there is not enough talent on defense right now. They gave up 501 yards of total offense to an offensively-challenged Louisville team, including 310 passing yards to a running quarterback. Louisville only scored 30 points and gained 442 yards against Eastern Kentucky. And we can't blame it on the hurry-up offense anymore.

As good as the DL was supposed to be, they have one sack through three games and are struggling to contain the QB. A lot of that has to do with the DB's, who are leaving receivers so laughably wide open that even when we get pressure on the QB he can immediately find a target and get rid of it.

Heupel and Shannon failed to recruit a defensive play-maker in 4 recruiting classes and attrition has reared its ugly head. Even Frost's 2017 defense was filled with O'Leary recruits, so the drought is pretty long. The bottom line is UCF scored 35 points on the road against a Power-5 team and still lost.
All of this which is why TMB needs to play

We had a DT playing DE for the first half, that’s the problem with the DL.
In the first half Cunningham scrambled anytime he wanted. In the second half they threw to the RB in the flat over and over. Defense couldn’t handled either one

Truth. When they score more points against, and pile up more yards against UCF then they did against EASTERN fricking KENTUCKY, it speaks volumes about our defensive deficiencies.

This is major college football. Receivers are going to be asked to make catches in traffic. He wasn’t at risk of getting blown up, the receiver didn’t make the catch on a throw put right where it needed to be. Young kid, playing because our #1 receiver was out, hopefully he makes the catch next time.

I didn't see a great deal of criticizing of DG but everyone has a right to question the play call on the losing interception.

I didn't see a great deal of criticizing of DG but everyone has a right to question the play call on the losing interception.
Read the early pages of this thread, when the game was going on. My thought was you had 3-4 plays before you would had to kick a field goal. I wanted at least one of those to be a run, and one to be a pass to stretch the field. Obarski, hasn't kicked a field goal this year, and he wasn't great last year, I think you run your normal offense to try to get as close for a field goal as possible if not in the end zone. If we had called 3 runs, not gotten a first down and had Obarski kick a 50+ yard field goal this place would've gone nuclear. They ran a play that would've worked if the receiver had caught the ball, I can't complain about that.

My issue is that Louisville was playing a soft 3 man front most of the game. Coles and Johnny were running great. We had 3 timeouts so a run is like a pass with regards to time management. Who knows what could have happened if we ran on 1st and/or 2nd down, but their D was struggling to stop our run game.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
I would argue it wasn't a bad play call, DG had shown good touch through the game and his decision making was much better than Boise where he got a little careless. Think Gus had to trust DG with the ball, but its on the receiver to make the catch, or at least cradle it so if you don't catch it, its a drop. On the flip side, what if we run twice up the middle for little to no yards and don't convert third down and Obarski misses a long FG (plausible based on his performance last year)? Or we get some yardage but its still a long attempt. Its all hypotheticals, but it boiled down to making a catch and taking care of the ball in clutch time.

. On the flip side, what if we run twice up the middle for little to no yards and don't convert third down and Obarski misses a long FG (plausible based on his performance last year)? .
Then we go to overtime against a hobbled QB. We had all the advantage at that point. Their QB wasn’t going to torch us on scrambles in OT

It’s not like Louisville stopped moving the ball after the QB was hobbled. They had a TD and we’re moving the ball until that interception.
And the first time he had pressure he threw a pick. The guy was limping really bad, he was a play away from having to be taken out. If he got hit, he was done.

Is B Moore that bad post knee injury? He has to be better than what he have and we should have let Collier stay , that incident last year destroyed our DB depth
The defense gave up 191 yards rushing, 94 yards receiving to RBs, and 100 yards to a TE. Louisville WRs weren't the one gashing this defense.

I was thinking that the only way we lose this is with a pick 6 or a missed field goal. Sucks that it happened.
Missed FG is just OT. Its risk reward. Gus checked it down all night. Didnt stick with the run that worked, killed out tempo drive with subs.

Yes we need reinforcements on D. But the offense should have been enough to carry us and not have that crazy play at the end. Now the season or more at risk.

Reactions: Yaes
In 2 weeks when we get closer to game. Bowser is only one of those that may not play I’m assuming.

Missed FG is just OT. Its risk reward. Gus checked it down all night. Didnt stick with the run that worked, killed out tempo drive with subs.

Yes we need reinforcements on D. But the offense should have been enough to carry us and not have that crazy play at the end. Now the season or more at risk.
Last year the young defense had problems getting stops. Hopefully this year they will continue to improve.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Very sobering commentary by Mike Bianchi in the Orlando Sentinel. Glad I read it. Gave me a different perspective. Hope you agree.

Let's simplify this. They made more plays than we did. They scored more points than we did. That's why they won. That's the way it always is. It's a team game. The team has to get better.

ADVERTISEMENT