ADVERTISEMENT

Mack has big shoes to fill

I played a lot of sports growing up. I was a pitcher and PG which is similar to a QB. My style was playing with emotion and being challenged. Not looking the same after a TD and an interception.
Furthermore consistently moving the ball with a couple of mistakes sprinkled in during the game isn't the same as consistently not moving the ball and not scoring points. Your "paradox" made no sense. I can name 9 freshmen QBs who played consistently last year. It isn't unheard of to be decent as a freshman.
....how did you even come up with that analogy. Sorry but different sports are prettt parallel to one another, I believe the most you can do is empathize

I did not mean to open up the "Milton did bad scab' by my statement. I just think that every year someone argues that the new freshman QB is somehow advanced in such a way that he will be ready to play in the fall. I just don't think this is solid thinking.

I played a lot of sports growing up. I was a pitcher and PG which is similar to a QB. My style was playing with emotion and being challenged. Not looking the same after a TD and an interception.
Furthermore consistently moving the ball with a couple of mistakes sprinkled in during the game isn't the same as consistently not moving the ball and not scoring points. Your "paradox" made no sense. I can name 9 freshmen QBs who played consistently last year. It isn't unheard of to be decent as a freshman.
Id be very curious to hear of 9 freshmen QB's who played consistently well through an entire season that arent on teams named Alabama or perennial powerhouses. And you cant say Francois, he played well at times, but VERY poorly at other times. Only completed 1% more passes than MM, 70 more attempts. The thing with FSU's offense too is its designed to have easy dumpoffs to bail the QB out. Its designed for the QB to have a dump off to the TE and RB on a 5 yard throw where Dalvin Cook or Rashad greene can then take it the extra 20-30 to make you look good. Bama's O was much the same. We didnt have that luxury, we could barely dig 1/2 way into our playbook, let alone have designed plays we know the QB will have dump offs for.

Its not unheard of for freshman to be good, even great, but it is certainly not common, more so a rarity.

Nothing wrong with dink and dunk passing down the field to move the ball, challenge is keeping the secondary honest or smoking them with a draw play.

Reactions: Miltonian
Nothing wrong with dink and dunk passing down the field to move the ball, challenge is keeping the secondary honest or smoking them with a draw play.
Yeah i would like to see more dink and dump. FSU has made a living off that, Bama too. Heck even the Patriots entire offense is predicated on Brady throwing the ball less than 10 yards 99% of the time.

Id be very curious to hear of 9 freshmen QB's who played consistently well through an entire season that arent on teams named Alabama or perennial powerhouses. And you cant say Francois, he played well at times, but VERY poorly at other times. Only completed 1% more passes than MM, 70 more attempts. The thing with FSU's offense too is its designed to have easy dumpoffs to bail the QB out. Its designed for the QB to have a dump off to the TE and RB on a 5 yard throw where Dalvin Cook or Rashad greene can then take it the extra 20-30 to make you look good. Bama's O was much the same. We didnt have that luxury, we could barely dig 1/2 way into our playbook, let alone have designed plays we know the QB will have dump offs for.

Its not unheard of for freshman to be good, even great, but it is certainly not common, more so a rarity.
We talk about how great our RBs are and receivers who just need a little space but can't dump it off to them? The ball was either in the dirt or 3 yards over head even on dump offs. You can't say name 9 and then take 2 freshmen off the table right away even though it's been 30 years since Bama started a freshman QB.
https://amp.ncaa.com/amp/news/footb...-football-9-top-scoring-freshman-quarterbacks

We talk about how great our RBs are and receivers who just need a little space but can't dump it off to them? The ball was either in the dirt or 3 yards over head even on dump offs. You can't say name 9 and then take 2 freshmen off the table right away even though it's been 30 years since Bama started a freshman QB.
https://amp.ncaa.com/amp/news/footb...-football-9-top-scoring-freshman-quarterbacks
You realize that was an old article from beginning of season.
Mitchell- look at his schedule where he played, then didnt play a game after week 4.
Eason- 5 star best qb in country, had 55% completion, only 2400 yards (started all year) and 16 tds, also 1 more INT than MM (not to mention having nothing but 5 stars RB's and WR's to throw to)
Hill- only put up stats against bad teams, got destroyed vs anyone good, didnt play past week 5
Montez- only 1000 yards, 9tds 5 picks, split time, was hurt alot like MM
Virgil - technically a 2nd year player - 2000 yards, 51% comp, 13 TD, 10 picks. only won 1 game.
Jones- had a good year, didnt win alot. Not gaudy numbers but Duke is a passing spread offense. Not alot of TD's (16, started all games) and 9 picks.
Buechelle had a decent year, played well against bad teams as expected, played pretty horribly against good teams. 11 picks.

In reality, MM was in line or better than at least 6 of those guys in every QB stat, including Wins, the most important one.
Obviously Francois, Hurts and id even put Buechelle in there because no matter who u have at QB, FSU, Bama and Texas will win more games than not (usually 8-10 per year) and blow out cupcakes. They also get 4 and 5 stars at skill positions which we dont.

So by the numbers, MM didnt have an amazing year, but he still played better than all but 3, maybe 4 freshmen QB's out of the 9 listed.
Only truly better ones are Francois, Hurts, Buchelle and Dukes qb. Eason for how highly rated he is and talent around him had a horrible year.

Reactions: BigXIIOrBust
You realize that was an old article from beginning of season.
Mitchell- look at his schedule where he played, then didnt play a game after week 4.
Eason- 5 star best qb in country, had 55% completion, only 2400 yards (started all year) and 16 tds, also 1 more INT than MM (not to mention having nothing but 5 stars RB's and WR's to throw to)
Hill- only put up stats against bad teams, got destroyed vs anyone good, didnt play past week 5
Montez- only 1000 yards, 9tds 5 picks, split time, was hurt alot like MM
Virgil - technically a 2nd year player - 2000 yards, 51% comp, 13 TD, 10 picks. only won 1 game.
Jones- had a good year, didnt win alot. Not gaudy numbers but Duke is a passing spread offense. Not alot of TD's (16, started all games) and 9 picks.
Buechelle had a decent year, played well against bad teams as expected, played pretty horribly against good teams. 11 picks.

In reality, MM was in line or better than at least 6 of those guys in every QB stat, including Wins, the most important one.
Obviously Francois, Hurts and id even put Buechelle in there because no matter who u have at QB, FSU, Bama and Texas will win more games than not (usually 8-10 per year) and blow out cupcakes. They also get 4 and 5 stars at skill positions which we dont.

So by the numbers, MM didnt have an amazing year, but he still played better than all but 3, maybe 4 freshmen QB's out of the 9 listed.
Only truly better ones are Francois, Hurts, Buchelle and Dukes qb. Eason for how highly rated he is and talent around him had a horrible year.
I'm sure there are more than these 9 as well that ended up playing. I can't find a link comparing only freshmen QBs. I'd love to see the stats of freshmen only. Milton started off very well and then looked bad. I'm hoping it was an injury and not a mental thing.

I'm sure there are more than these 9 as well that ended up playing. I can't find a link comparing only freshmen QBs. I'd love to see the stats of freshmen only. Milton started off very well and then looked bad. I'm hoping it was an injury and not a mental thing.
No i fully agree, sorry for the full report there, bit bored at work lol

And i tried to find and sort by only freshmen QB's. The best i could do it top 50 QB's overall in a bunch of stat categories on NCAA.com. I know Francois and Hurts were the only consistent names listed for top 50, then the duke kid may have been sprinkled in for certain ones as well as Buechelle.

A couple of other changes that can make life better for the QB this year:

1. Jordan Johnson at Center. This should improve pass protection and run blocking compared to our OL that started last season.
2. With Cordarrian, our biggest rotational back in 240 lbs. vs. Wilson last year at about 215 lbs.. Just on that physicality alone, on similar play circumstances, some 4 yd runs become 7 or 8 yd. runs. Third down and 2's that got stuffed short last year have better chance of getting the 2 yards by a much bigger back going for that 2 yds. These are things that keep a drive going...and make a QB look better.

Dink and dump passes work when the QB has pinpoint accuracy and puts the ball where the receiver can get immediate YAC. It also helps then there aren't a lot of drops. Unfortunately, both were a problem last year which is why it's so frustrating to watch all that WR, TE and RB talent out of the backfield go to waste. That must change in 2017.

I'm not expecting Milton to be Tom Brady, but those are throws that a Division-1 sophomore has to make now. No excuses

Dink and dump passes work when the QB has pinpoint accuracy and puts the ball where the receiver can get immediate YAC. It also helps then there aren't a lot of drops. Unfortunately, both were a problem last year which is why it's so frustrating to watch all that WR, TE and RB talent out of the backfield go to waste. That must change in 2017.

I'm not expecting Milton to be Tom Brady, but those are throws that a Division-1 sophomore has to make now. No excuses

I would just like to see Milton NOT overthrow wide open guys on 4th down plays.

Reactions: Mikesi

I agree, as a sophomore, he has no excuse to miss those throws. But i also understand QB's will always make a few bad throws again so i dont want to hear it when he overthrows one time and everyone has a fit lol

Reactions: Mikesi
I feel like people are analyzing last year like it was just another year for UCF. They forget that the team was comprised of players who were asked not only to learn an entire new playbook, but a new scheme/type of offense that requires a skill set that frankly most of them did not have and had never been associated with. It was like we had a team of true freshmen. How quickly people forget their statements of last summer that "it will take a few years" and "this year will be a throw away". A couple of nice wins early in the season and all of a sudden expectations go through the roof.

Last year was a throw away. It was nice to win six games and get to a bowl game, but our game plans and execution were severely limited by the depth of the knowledge and skills of our players. Our offense could not adjust when teams figured out our limitations. We had nowhere to go. This year with a base of understanding I expect a bit more to be understood by the team, but truly I think next year will be Scott Frost's break out or bust year.

My biggest concern once again is the dings players get over the course of the season. Milton's play suffered from the time he was fresh out there until the middle of the season when he couldn't allude rushes anymore. This year we need better OL play and backup QB to make it through the season. One of the incoming freshmen QB is most likely going to be called on if DiNovo has no big play ability.

I feel like people are analyzing last year like it was just another year for UCF. They forget that the team was comprised of players who were asked not only to learn an entire new playbook, but a new scheme/type of offense that requires a skill set that frankly most of them did not have and had never been associated with. It was like we had a team of true freshmen. How quickly people forget their statements of last summer that "it will take a few years" and "this year will be a throw away". A couple of nice wins early in the season and all of a sudden expectations go through the roof.

Last year was a throw away. It was nice to win six games and get to a bowl game, but our game plans and execution were severely limited by the depth of the knowledge and skills of our players. Our offense could not adjust when teams figured out our limitations. We had nowhere to go. This year with a base of understanding I expect a bit more to be understood by the team, but truly I think next year will be Scott Frost's break out or bust year.
I like when someone understands it wasnt just 1 or 2 things as to why we struggled. Its easy to pin it all on a coach or QB, but its so much more deep of a situation as to why we struggled and you hit some points right on the nose.

1 year more in the weight room, another class of players who understand our system, off season training etc can make a HUGE difference.
Not too worried about MM this year injury wise, he showed last year he was tough after taking some serious wallops and being on the ground half of most games. Hopefully his ankle is healed, everyone put on some weight and can take more punishment and last through the season. Hopefully we can also unleash a full playbook and not be handcuffed like last year

My biggest concern once again is the dings players get over the course of the season. Milton's play suffered from the time he was fresh out there until the middle of the season when he couldn't allude rushes anymore. This year we need better OL play and backup QB to make it through the season. One of the incoming freshmen QB is most likely going to be called on if DiNovo has no big play ability.
I do think its a likely situation unless DiNovo has developed some serious speed out of nowhere, that Mack or Vedral will be #2 by 2-3 week

Reactions: KnightLife1
I like when someone understands it wasnt just 1 or 2 things as to why we struggled. Its easy to pin it all on a coach or QB, but its so much more deep of a situation as to why we struggled and you hit some points right on the nose.

1 year more in the weight room, another class of players who understand our system, off season training etc can make a HUGE difference.
Not too worried about MM this year injury wise, he showed last year he was tough after taking some serious wallops and being on the ground half of most games. Hopefully his ankle is healed, everyone put on some weight and can take more punishment and last through the season. Hopefully we can also unleash a full playbook and not be handcuffed like last year
All good points. Finally we are getting more thorough analysis. Ahhhhhh...

ADVERTISEMENT