ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland's 1st 3 points- fair catch?

80'sKnight

Silver Knight
Feb 24, 2010
For those at the game, we punted and did the Turtle sign a fair catch? On TV we really couldn't tell and the announcers couldn't give a damn but at least 4- 5 UCF players immediately indicated he did, hence they didn't hit him. Anyone at the game see this?

Just brings back bad memories of the Tulsa "fair catch" to win the game.

I thought post was about UCF Returner Hughes not catching one of the first punts and ball rolled almost another 20 yds and out UCF deep in their own end...followed by a short UCF OU...lead to short field for Maryland and 3 pts.

Highest did it again (not catching punt) and almost hurt UCF again.

He has to learn to jump on those "rugby/Australian Rules football punts because they can ROLL for lots of yardage.

So you actually did see him do the fair catch signal?
I don’t believe the camera showed it. What I did see was 2-3 UCF players pull up when they could have tackled him and then 5 players complain that he signaled for the fair catch after he ran for 15-20 yards. That’s a lot of players to have all seen a fair catch signal that didn’t actually occur.

The fair catch has always been an odd rule / procedure to me. Gunners are expected to see a punt returner wave for a fair catch (when that can sometimes mean a quick half wave) and know they can't touch him? Or are they expected to hear the official over a stadium of 1000s of fans?
If the NFL can put cams and headphones in helmets. If ESPN can fly cameras over playing field. Can we put some LEDs in the punt returners uniform or something to signal a fair catch?

Reactions: 80'sKnight
The fair catch has always been an odd rule / procedure to me. Gunners are expected to see a punt returner wave for a fair catch (when that can sometimes mean a quick half wave) and know they can't touch him? Or are they expected to hear the official over a stadium of 1000s of fans?
If the NFL can put cams and headphones in helmets. If ESPN can fly cameras over playing field. Can we put some LEDs in the punt returners uniform or something to signal a fair catch?
It's supposed to be a distinct hand wave for at least a second. Usually a penalty if it's a half wave at last second. Also a penalty if you wave and then run.

Reactions: SublimeKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT