ADVERTISEMENT

Massage tip question

Vendsit

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2008
Windermere, Florida
I got a massage today and when I paid, I added $10 to the $40 bill. I figured that a 25% tip was pretty good. After I paid I noticed a sign that gave suggestions for tips based on how much you paid. For $35 to $45, they suggested anywhere from $15 to $25.

Was I cheap only paying 25% or are they out of line asking for upwards of 60%?

Last edited:
I often wonder the same thing about Haircuts. I think a $10 tip is fine. I think it really depends on how long the massage was for.

If they want to make more money they should charge more. Expecting people to tip that much is just dumb.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I got a massage today and when I paid, I added $10 to the $40 bill. I figured that a 20% tip was pretty good. After I paid I noticed a sign that gave suggestions for tips based on how much you paid. For $35 to $45, they suggested anywhere from $15 to $25.

Was I cheap only paying 20% or are they out of line asking for upwards of 60%?
Yes, they have a suggested tip amount sign for a reason. I always pay the top of the suggested amount based on the length of my massage, but I use the same lady every month and she does a great job. When I do have bad ones (either out of town or my normal girl isn't available and i"m trying someone new out) I will go towards the bottom of that suggest list. I know a few years ago @NiseyyD asked our therapist at the time how the pay worked, and I think they make most of their money on the tips, but I can't remember.

I often wonder the same thing about Haircuts. I think a $10 tip is fine. I think it really depends on how long the massage was for.

Massage was about 50 minutes. The girl was great and I kinda felt bad about how much I left her. I'd like to go back to her but wonder what she would think and if I should tip her more next time.

Massage was about 50 minutes. The girl was great and I kinda felt bad about how much I left her. I'd like to go back to her but wonder what she would think and if I should tip her more next time.
Definitely tip her more next time, I honestly would apologize for it saying you didn't understand (especially if she is good enough that you want to go back and potentially use her on a regular basis).

I don't remember specifically, but it was like $12-16/hr session (depending on how long they had been there) that they made and the rest was on tips. At least this was for a massage therapist at massage envy. They also recommend tipping on the non-member rate. I personally tip $15 for my 1 hr massages and $22 for my 90 min massages, which is 30% of the member rate (and almost 20% on the non member rate). I just assume they are getting around $15 for my session from company and $15 from me, so $30/hr isn't a bad income. i know @USFSucks tips more than me, but oh well.

I got a massage today and when I paid, I added $10 to the $40 bill. I figured that a 20% tip was pretty good. After I paid I noticed a sign that gave suggestions for tips based on how much you paid. For $35 to $45, they suggested anywhere from $15 to $25.

You were cheap because you paid $40 for a massage.

I know the suggested range at massage envy is 15-30% which is a pretty big range. I think 20% is more than adequate.

I tipped 20% based on what the massage was supposed to cost... so if I get a Groupon for $45 for a 90 min massage, I'll tip the 20% based on the massage really being worth $120. If you went to massage envy or hand and stone and paid the introductory massage rate then you should tip based on what the typical non member price is.

Yes, yes I am, but I also don't think 20% is a bad tip. And at least I'm consistent so they know every month I'm good for my 20%, whereas I'm sure they have clients who don't tip or only til a few bucks.
Yeah, I don't think you don't tip enough or anything, just calling you cheap :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Tip? Dafuk? I'm paying for a service and then I have to pay you again? Dafuk is this, a cable company?

Here's a tip: GO TO COLLEGE AND GET A REAL DEGREE, YOU GODDAMN HIPPIE!!!!

#BanMassages

Reactions: UCFWayne
No, you're just a dumb dumb.

I will fight you. You will not see it coming. It will be swift and over in a matter of seconds. When you come to, the only thought you will have is "WTF just happened?". Then, and only then, you will realize that calling me a name on a message board was not the best decision of your life. Until we meet....

I will fight you. You will not see it coming. It will be swift and over in a matter of seconds. When you come to, the only thought you will have is "WTF just happened?". Then, and only then, you will realize that calling me a name on a message board was not the best decision of your life. Until we meet....
Blue Chip, is that you?

CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT