ADVERTISEMENT

MBA and Salary

Xa1n

Four-Star Recruit
May 19, 2008
Hi, I usually only post around football season, however I am on the board throughout the year.

I saw a job posting today which prompted me to ask this question, and get an opinion of the board.

I graduated from UCF a few years ago and just finished my Professional MBA from UCF last year.

I am 30, and I feel like Career wise I am not where I expected to be by now. I am in Financial Services/Operations, and I feel like the growth has been stagnant, and even after an MBA I don't see it making any significant difference.

I am very driven, but this has somewhat discouraged me, and have me thinking about changing industries, because where I am for me to even get close to a 100k it may take a decade or even more.

I know that MBA does not hold a great value like it used to, but I wanted to see if others felt the same way, or from maybe someone who's had experience with this situation can shed some light on it.

Thanks, looking for hearing some thoughts on this, and the job market as a whole.

Be very aware of and focus on the perceptions of the leadership team. It's extremely important for growth. I say this without knowing anything because it applies to everything.

Other than that, I'd really need to get a better understanding of who you are and what you've accomplished and where you are growth wise. If you don't have a mentor, get one. I inherited one accidently in 2008, but since then, my career took off. I was getting significant raises while the company was doing lay offs thanks to him.

And, remember, no one is going to give you anything. You need to first ask for then fight for it all.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

MBA is good to get your foot in the door /open doors but after that it will all be on your job performance/etc....getting an MBA is unlikely to "get you a raise"
Volunteer for Ad Hoc projects, take on extra work, etc....Learn as many areas of your business as possible (cross train/etc)

"Networking" inside your company is very important....

I did very well financially when doing my MBA, but I lived in Miami before the crash - the market simply created the dynamics that grew my salary. Post-MBA I took a position in NJ to get to that level you were looking at, but it was NJ, so probably like 80k in Orlando.

The point being, I've done had to move around and take advantage of market dynamics to grow. I looked at the graduation date as an opportunity to make a fresh jump and start my career new somewhere else.

If long term you aren't seeing the growth potential you want, then look around - and especially look broader in a regional/national sense if you really want to grow.

My MBA is still in the FedEx envelope it came in 3 years ago. Most people aren't where they thought they'd be in life, accept it and be open to opportunities not in line with your plan. Don't think the MBA entitles you to anything. As someone stated, having a mentor can really be beneficial.

Caveat, I don't give a **** if I ever buy a new car for myself I find a lot more wealth building value in reading something like Mr Money Mustache than anything in 've found in a traditional academic classroom.

$0.02: it more about what you can do vs a diploma. And depends where you went. Met an MBA each from Northwestern, Stanford & Harvard each was a stud as expected. Know two from Rollins both solid. Know one from SMU doin just fine (true to forn he gives 0 ****s about their football team)

Worked w one from UCF - total dope - shown the door soon enough. Sure there's good ones from meh schools but don't expect anyone to fawn at anything other than a top 75 or 20 MBA.

You couldn't pay me enough to go back to school.

An MBA automatically increases your bargaining power when negotiating a salary. Period. In fact my company has many positions that are restricted to MBAs only, and, people holding MBAs are given higher salary expectation within the wage scales.

It's like this in many/most companies.

I did mine and I am thankful for that.

MBAs...

roll.r191677.gif

Should have gotten a real advanced degree.

I haven't seen a company restrict a position to MBA only...I have seen it for CPA only, CFA only and a couple other professional designations you have to maintain, but to restrict it to something as general (and easy to get) as an MBA seems shortsighted and, frankly, stupid

Originally posted by BillUCF97:
I haven't seen a company restrict a position to MBA only...I have seen it for CPA only, CFA only and a couple other professional designations you have to maintain, but to restrict it to something as general (and easy to get) as an MBA seems shortsighted and, frankly, stupid
Uh, it's extremely common for management level jobs and higher.

And lol at "easy to obtain", coming from someone who doesn't have one. I won't say it's advanced rocket science but the courses are way, way more difficult than anything in undergrad and you attend classes from 6-9 after working 8-5 every day. It's grueling and extremely difficult to keep up everything when you're in the program.

Sample MBA math: # of CPAs vs MBAs that's how much easier they are to obtain ditto the unemployment of each. If it's not a top 100ish MBA pretty much a drive thru piece of paper.

Hilarious...My first company I worked for paid for mine and I did mine at UCF.....Took two classes each semester and Two Summer A, Two summer B ....Did 12 classes instead of 11 since I was concentrating on the accounting (my "elective" classes were upper level audit and tax classes)..The classes (except the accounting classes) were cake.....I know you will say I am lying since that is your fall back argument for everything, but sure I can pull up some of the old books/etc...I do recall my "International economics" (I think it was) was an Asian dude..Damn sharp and got us all interested in 3rd party arbitrage (think he glossed over the monotony hell it really is)

I have an MBA. I wouldn't call it "hard to obtain"....its more giving good business people tools that are fairly easy to understand... but you still have to be talented to maximize them. I say the same thing as a Marketing undergrad. The major IS easy, I dont deny that, but you still have to be smart and talented to actually be a good marketer.

Basically what i mean is my class had a couple people in it i wouldnt hire as a secretary.

Hard to obtain? No.

This post was edited on 2/26 5:40 PM by UCF-icenhl-06

Originally posted by UCFKnight85:

And lol at "easy to obtain", coming from someone who doesn't have one. I won't say it's advanced rocket science but the courses are way, way more difficult than anything in undergrad and you attend classes from 6-9 after working 8-5 every day. It's grueling and extremely difficult to keep up everything when you're in the program.
Three levels of Calculus, differential equations, two levels of physics for engineers, two levels of discrete structures, neural networking, computer vision, and matrix transformations, are just some of the classes in my undergrad that are multiple times more difficult than anything in an MBA program.

But, I guess you could say it was hard if you're an idiot. Math is hard.

This post was edited on 2/26 8:31 PM by chemmie

Originally posted by chemmie:

Three levels of Calculus, differential equations, two levels of physics for engineers, two levels of discrete structures, neural networking, computer vision, and matrix transformations, are just some of the classes in my undergrad that are multiple times more difficult than anything in an MBA program.

I meant business undergrad, you flaming pile of shit.

Stop inserting yourself here. All that math and yet you're still a moron.

butthurt.jpg

butthurt.jpg
85 started in the college of engineering but switched to business because calc 1 was too hard.

Always college of engineering ---> college of business, never the inverse.

Originally posted by UCFRogerz:

butthurt.jpg
85 started in the college of engineering but switched to business because calc 1 was too hard.

This is true.
I almost fell victim to my own stupidity, too. But, my father kicked me in the ass and told me to get to work. I'm thankful that he talked me out of it.

butthurt.jpg

This is true.
I almost fell victim to my own stupidity, too. But, my father kicked me in the ass and told me to get to work. I'm thankful that he talked me out of it.[/QUOTE]
I had a tim when not well. Turns out, quitting things made it thru. do homework!!!!

This post was edited on 2/27 1:02 PM by UCFRogerz

Engineers are cool. It's graet they have people like me to secure business for them to justify their jobs.

Engineers are cool. It's graet they have people like me to secure business for them to justify their jobs.
We have business people securing business, true. There is an equivalent number of engineers performing the same job, at least where I am, including me. I go to conferences, meetings, etc, to promote and market regularly. So you're blanket statement means nothing!

Stop over-promising and we'll stop under-delivering.

Business person logic:

A 50lb molly wall anchor into drywall will be fine for that 10 lb picture and frame. Cost 50 cents.

Engineer logic:

The house needs to be rebuilt with CMU tilt walls to allow a minimum penetration depth of 3" for 5/8" expansion bolts on 6" centers with 2" square washers. All hardware needs to be stainless steel. Cost $500,000

Originally posted by Bob the Knight:
Business person logic:

A 50lb molly wall anchor into drywall will be fine for that 10 lb picture and frame. Cost 50 cents.

Engineer logic:

The house needs to be rebuilt with CMU tilt walls to allow a minimum penetration depth of 3" for 5/8" expansion bolts on 6" centers with 2" square washers. All hardware needs to be stainless steel. Cost $500,000
It's all about giving the client what they want. If the client is willing to spend 500k on fixing their problem, we can devise a 500k way to fix the problem. Seems like business smarts to me...

Business person logic:
Yes Mr. Client, of course we can do that. We do lots of things. We are smart.

Engineer:
WTAF, that defies physics and can't be done!

lol took a strange turn with business and engineers, but appreciate the thoughts.

Business person logic:

Engineer logic:

It's all about giving the client what they want. If the client is willing to spend 500k on fixing their problem, we can devise a 500k way to fix the problem. Seems like business smarts to me...

Business person logic:

Engineer:
Business Person: He bought a switch for the light on that wall.

Engineer - 3 weeks later: Your switch has been designed, bench tested and installed precisely 43.25" from the floor at an angle consistent with the slope of the floor. It has been delivered in a floating housing so that it will maintain perfect position in a earthquake measuring up to 5.6 on the richter scale. It is wind resistant to 75mph and water resistant to 43 metres. There is an in-line resistor to prevent damage from a power surge caused by lightning.

Customer: This switch doesn't work. It only turns the light on and then we can't get the light to go off.

Engineer - I am sorry, off wasn't explicitly stated in the work order. I will have to reconfigure it for you.

Customer: 3 Weeks Later. This switch doesn't work. I can't get the light to turn on.

Engineer - I am sorry in your revised specification you requested that the switch turn things off. You didn't state that you wanted it to turn things on AND off. That is a project enhancement that we will have to charge extra for since we have already designed the apparatus 2 times.

Originally posted by Game_Day_Sports:

Business person logic:

Engineer logic:

Business person logic:

Engineer:
Business Person: He bought a switch for the light on that wall.

Engineer - 3 weeks later: Your switch has been designed, bench tested and installed precisely 43.25" from the floor at an angle consistent with the slope of the floor. It has been delivered in a floating housing so that it will maintain perfect position in a earthquake measuring up to 5.6 on the richter scale. It is wind resistant to 75mph and water resistant to 43 metres. There is an in-line resistor to prevent damage from a power surge caused by lightning.

Customer: This switch doesn't work. It only turns the light on and then we can't get the light to go off.

Engineer - I am sorry, off wasn't explicitly stated in the work order. I will have to reconfigure it for you.

Customer: 3 Weeks Later. This switch doesn't work. I can't get the light to turn on.

Engineer - I am sorry in your revised specification you requested that the switch turn things off. You didn't state that you wanted it to turn things on AND off. That is a project enhancement that we will have to charge extra for since we have already designed the apparatus 2 times.
Bullshit. you couldn't do that in three weeks.

Business person logic:

Engineer logic:

Business person logic:

Engineer:
Business people will also decide that it can be done in half the time and for half of the engineers estimate. Then, they'll bitch when the project is over budget

Business person logic:

Engineer logic:

Business person logic:

Engineer:

Wow... you actually might be a real engineer!
...and 85 is still an idiot who couldn't survive the engineering program.

I've never understood the engineering vs business school smack talk. Both careers are absolute necessities in our world and utterly useless without the other.

ADVERTISEMENT