ADVERTISEMENT

MCKENZIE MILTON (Hawaii QB) must have some moves being only 5'-11"

Knight_Classes_begin_7pm

Golden Knight
Oct 6, 2013
with cleats on.

I know Jeff Godfrey was great (AND BEAT GEORGIA) but when they figured out how to blitz him, he couldn't see over the tall lineman (Blake Bortles steps in).

I haven't watched any tape of him yet.

Thoughts? Comments? :)

with cleats on.
I know Jeff Godfrey was great (AND BEAT GEORGIA) but when they figured out how to blitz him, he couldn't see over the tall lineman (Blake Bortles steps in).
I haven't watched any tape of him yet.
Thoughts? Comments? :)
That's the conventional wisdom. But he was a different player his sophomore year at QB. He missed receivers by a mile when he wasn't under a rush. Sure they tried to contain him and make him one-dimensional. But at one point he had among the highest completion rates in NCAA history! Suddenly, even outside the pocket he was just ordinary. I'm afraid it was from the crushing hits he took that first year. One in particular by a 295 lb. guy, which YouTube is painful to watch. He didn't lose his courage, just his talent in year 2.

Patti & Milton at QB this season is the equivalent of Frodo and Sam's pilgrimage from The Shire to Mordor. It wasn't a very good pilgrimage, if you all remember.

Sounds like someone needs to get to work photoshopping that image into existence. Do I even need to ask who is Gollum in this scenario?

Reactions: jetsaholic
Patti is allegedly 5'11'' (looks shorter than that), and he couldn't even see over the Michigan D-line. When they blitzed him he had no chance of completing a pass over them, his only hope was to run. If Milton is that small, I just don't see how it would be any different. Patti looked like a little kid in there.

Patti is allegedly 5'11'' (looks shorter than that), and he couldn't even see over the Michigan D-line. When they blitzed him he had no chance of completing a pass over them, his only hope was to run. If Milton is that small, I just don't see how it would be any different. Patti looked like a little kid in there.
You can be that height and be a successful College QB in the Oregon spread or the Air Raid. Vernon Adams Jr, Manziel, etc.

Milton looks like he has more arm strength than Patti

Good comparison with Patti - unless

950x534

Houston's little QB makes everyone look bad.
Notice how in high school, he'd take the long snap, then drop back 10 more yards to more easily see the field on pass plays. It also let him optimize his broken field running ability and pick up blocks. Yet I didn't see any screen passes in the highlights, surprising for such deep drops, but those might have been omitted as not "highlights."
It did say he was injured and missed some games as a senior.
Reminds me of Jeff Godfrey, but with a bigger arm.
Most receptions to open receivers (except the one in the endzone).

I seriously doubt that Patti is 5-11. Milton looks to be a little taller but still small. That is why he is with us rather than Oregon. Patti looked tiny against Michigan. No way to throw those quick outs when you can't see the receivers

I still question the level of talent that he's playing against.
^^^
This. No way he can pull most of those runs off against the college level of speed and athleticism. Not until he bulks up a little. He does that now and there is no way he survives the season.

Milton looks to have a good arm (accurate), vision and speed. As another poster said, you have to consider the talent he played against, but he looked good. Also, Frost has said many times that he stood out at Oregon camps and if he had a few more inches he would be a top rated QB in the class.

Holman is a good kid as a teammate and in the classroom but his indecision and accuracy issues are holding back the offense. Patti (also a team guy - done everything that is asked) has never shown that he is a better option than Holman. I think this upcoming game has NC State written all over it, when Oleary finaly turned it over to Godfrey and we almost pulled out the win. I see the Milton era starting very soon.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Milton looks to have a good arm (accurate), vision and speed. As another poster said, you have to consider the talent he played against, but he looked good. Also, Frost has said many times that he stood out at Oregon camps and if he had a few more inches he would be a top rated QB in the class.

Holman is a good kid as a teammate and in the classroom but his indecision and accuracy issues are holding back the offense. Patti (also a team guy - done everything that is asked) has never shown that he is a better option than Holman. I think this upcoming game has NC State written all over it, when Oleary finaly turned it over to Godfrey and we almost pulled out the win. I see the Milton era starting very soon.

This is a great analogy. Interesting that Frost traveled Milton rather than Harris or Kruz. Perhaps he wants him to see the speed of the game, experience the crowd and learn from the sideline. Our non-conference games are throw aways; always have been for the most part. I for one am glad that he did not throw Milton to the dogs against Michigan. Maybe he is holding him in check for later in the season. But dont put him in just because the other QBs are not performing. Only when you feel he is ready.

Milton looks to have a good arm (accurate), vision and speed. I think this upcoming game has NC State written all over it, when Oleary finally turned it over to Godfrey and we almost pulled out the win. I see the Milton era starting very soon.
The thing I saw was his magician-like ball fakes and quick reads critical to running a Frost offense.

Houston's little QB makes everyone look bad.
Notice how in high school, he'd take the long snap, then drop back 10 more yards to more easily see the field on pass plays. It also let him optimize his broken field running ability and pick up blocks. Yet I didn't see any screen passes in the highlights, surprising for such deep drops, but those might have been omitted as not "highlights."
It did say he was injured and missed some games as a senior.
Reminds me of Jeff Godfrey, but with a bigger arm.
Most receptions to open receivers (except the one in the endzone).
Besides Greg Ward, there is Douglas Flutie, Dew Brees, Kellen Moore, Russell Wilson, Michael Vick, etc. These are all short QBs.

I'm not willing to write off this kid, especially in an offense built around the run and short/ screen passes. Height gets you recruited higher. Talent makes you a starter.

Besides Greg Ward, there is Douglas Flutie, Dew Brees, Kellen Moore, Russell Wilson, Michael Vick, etc. These are all short QBs.
I'm not willing to write off this kid, especially in an offense built around the run and short/ screen passes. Height gets you recruited higher. Talent makes you a starter.
He'd just need to be ordered to slide, run out of bounds, and throw it away (i.e., avoid contact)

I'm 6'0" and Patti is 3 inches short than I am.

Reactions: Mikesi
Damn he does look like Johnny Football..

Had like 15+ 50 Yrd runs for touchdowns.

Still think he needs a year to put on some weight.
Geez, if that's all he needs to get him in there,I'll invite him over to my Italian mother's house and have her add some weight gain powder to the sauce. Get that guy in there!

Andrew from Knighline Podcast is 5'11" and he said on his show that Patti is 5'8" -5'9". Milton should be more like Manziel or Wilson.

Height is a little more important in the NFL than college

I seriously doubt that Patti is 5-11. Milton looks to be a little taller but still small. That is why he is with us rather than Oregon. Patti looked tiny against Michigan. No way to throw those quick outs when you can't see the receivers
Oregon's QB last season was 5'11
http://www.goducks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5041

I think Milton was on Oregon's board and close to a commitable offer till he got injured during his Senior season. UCF obviously is in a more desperate position to take that risk bc Frost needed a QB that fits this offense.

Last edited:
Andrew from Knighline Podcast is 5'11" and he said on his show that Patti is 5'8" -5'9". Milton should be more like Manziel or Wilson.

Height is a little more important in the NFL than college

When I saw Patti out on the town, my first thought was "he's a QB?" Not short and not very swole.

How successful he will be and if he can remain injury free are big questions but the positive he offers is that our offense would get to see a QB who runs this offense the way it was designed.

If our QB play doesn't improve by end of September, I'm all for running the offense with the future QB so next year the offense wont be "young" anymore as Frost keeps saying. It worked for Bortles and Jags the first year when he took a beating. Also, I really have my doubts that Milton is going to be able to hold down the starting position for 4 years unless he starts taking steroids and future QB recruits stop liking what their seeing in this offense (their high school style of offense).

I am all for Milton being put in whenever the coaches think he is ready and not because of the play of the other QBs

I still question the level of talent that he's playing against.

I question the talent that he played against too. BUT...
Frost said that he has the "it factor" and I believe the QB coach compared him to johney manzell.

Who should I believe, fans posting after watching him play against high school talent in a video or 2 professionals that evaluated his high school film AND playing against college talent? (I would guess that he is running the scout team against our #1 defense.)

I'll side with coach frost when he says he believes Milton has the it factor and is our future.

Frost should be pretty familiar with what he's looking at when it comes to high school QBs in Hawaii and the competition they faced. He's seen Milton compete against kids from other states in QB camps and obviously was impressed. Now he's had the kid up close and personal in his system and seen him going against our defense in practice. He thought enough of him to bring him along to Michigan over Harris and Kruz after all that. The stars seem to be aligning for an early MM sighting, particularly with Holman's injury.

Reactions: UCFProf
I question the talent that he played against too. BUT...
Frost said that he has the "it factor" and I believe the QB coach compared him to johney manzell.

Who should I believe, fans posting after watching him play against high school talent in a video or 2 professionals that evaluated his high school film AND playing against college talent? (I would guess that he is running the scout team against our #1 defense.)

I'll side with coach frost when he says he believes Milton has the it factor and is our future.

Milton is just one part of the future....but now that Frost has a 12 months to recruit players for his first full class (vs just basically 1 month for his first "small" class), I'm sure Frost will continue to try to upgrade EVERY position from the year before...and that is to hopefully bring in even more potentially talented QB's too.

Right now, Frost has 2 commitments at QB...one from the kid from Nebraska...the other one from Dr Phillips (who might end up playing another position besides QB?).

What if UCF is invited to join the Big 12 later this fall and a new batch of talented QB's might be available for the taking?

Bottom line, never stop improving...and while Frost is very "high" on Milton's future...in a running scheme like he has...you will always be 1 play away from your #2 QB...and just 2 plays away from your #3 QB (let alone if there are any off-the-field issues with grades et al)...so you can never have too many talented QB's in your system.

The key in this offense is having an understanding of the scheme and being able to make quick decisions. Holman lacks awareness and a feel for the game. I think Milton shows he has "it" at a high school level. He probably needs to get a little stronger and absorb the system before he can be effective.

Milton is just one part of the future....but now that Frost has a 12 months to recruit players for his first full class (vs just basically 1 month for his first "small" class), I'm sure Frost will continue to try to upgrade EVERY position from the year before...and that is to hopefully bring in even more potentially talented QB's too.

Right now, Frost has 2 commitments at QB...one from the kid from Nebraska...the other one from Dr Phillips (who might end up playing another position besides QB?).

What if UCF is invited to join the Big 12 later this fall and a new batch of talented QB's might be available for the taking?

Bottom line, never stop improving...and while Frost is very "high" on Milton's future...in a running scheme like he has...you will always be 1 play away from your #2 QB...and just 2 plays away from your #3 QB (let alone if there are any off-the-field issues with grades et al)...so you can never have too many talented QB's in your system.
Excellent points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT