ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball Preview: The War on I-4, hoops edition

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
The War on I4, hoops edition, tips off on Saturday. "I believe you will see an angry, hungry UCF squad take their frustrations out on a struggling USF bunch", writes John Weis for the Sons of UCF.

Click here to read more from John in this preview:

Reactions: DeezKnights
They aren’t missing many 3s. Darius being hurt is ruining a season where there isn’t a clear best team in nation.

our dumb ucftwitter fans arguing w Big 12 Basketball fans a few days ago that we won’t be a doormat in that league looking real stupid right now. We can’t even win road games in a league w arenas at 50% capacity

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Bad loss. Can’t lose that one. As soon as Darius and Durr were out I said this team would be lucky to be .500, and would struggle to win any road games. Team has a major uphill climb ahead of them. Hopefully they respond well.

They need to see if Hendricks can elevate his game. He plays within our system so far and doesn’t take many unnecessary shots. With the injuries right now we might need to start forcing him the ball more and see what happens.

They represented themselves really classy. When the ESPN cameras went up in to the band one of the members for approximately 15 seconds gave the middle finger. Real classy. Glad to move on from them. We need to get healthy too.
I just find it funny. a lot of their vocal fans have had this arrogance ‘what rivalry?’ they consistently show way more hate towards us than we do to them. their fans are holding onto a complex that we became a destination in this State when they had a head start and a State Government that has supported them much more than UCF. Yet they are still a sleepy commuter school , the irony of them using ‘Oviedo’ as an insult

Bad loss. Can’t lose that one. As soon as Darius and Durr were out I said this team would be lucky to be .500, and would struggle to win any road games. Team has a major uphill climb ahead of them. Hopefully they respond well.

They need to see if Hendricks can elevate his game. He plays within our system so far and doesn’t take many unnecessary shots. With the injuries right now we might need to start forcing him the ball more and see what happens.
I don’t see him being a high draft pick right now. To me a high draft pick should be able to take games over. He rarely does. But there are sites they say he is. Must be based on potential because if he scores 15 a game in college, that’s probably 7 in NBA. He should be stepping up in absence of Darius but he’s in shadows still.

Post game quotes from UCF MBB HC Johnny Dawkins can be found on my Twitter @seinpez or click here for the Opening Statement.

I don’t see him being a high draft pick right now. To me a high draft pick should be able to take games over. He rarely does. But there are sites they say he is. Must be based on potential because if he scores 15 a game in college, that’s probably 7 in NBA. He should be stepping up in absence of Darius but he’s in shadows still.
The NBA draft has been mostly based on potential for a long, long time now. After about the top 5-10 picks, it’s a complete roll of the dice and not much is expected for the next few years. Even those top 5-10 picks are mostly gambles because they don’t pan out into dominant players picks 1-10 should be. There’s only like 30 NBA teams, with small rosters and you can find players anywhere on the planet so teams have become increasingly willing to draft on future potential.

You see it now more than ever. Guys are kind of a bust their first 3-4 years but then when they get on their second contract they are finally developing or blossoming.

Bol Bol is one of many, many examples. Denver drafted him. He didn’t do squat, playing in only 53 games over 3 seasons and only averaging a couple of points and like a rebound a game. The Magic sign him and now he’s played in 41 games and is averaging 12 pts, 7 rbds, 1.6 blocks. A solid contributor. He’s still only 23. The age he would have been had he played 4-5 years of college ball.

The NBA draft has been mostly based on potential for a long, long time now. After about the top 5-10 picks, it’s a complete roll of the dice and not much is expected for the next few years. Even those top 5-10 picks are mostly gambles because they don’t pan out into dominant players picks 1-10 should be. There’s only like 30 NBA teams, with small rosters and you can find players anywhere on the planet so teams have become increasingly willing to draft on future potential.

You see it now more than ever. Guys are kind of a bust their first 3-4 years but then when they get on their second contract they are finally developing or blossoming.

Bol Bol is one of many, many examples. Denver drafted him. He didn’t do squat, playing in only 53 games over 3 seasons and only averaging a couple of points and like a rebound a game. The Magic sign him and now he’s played in 41 games and is averaging 12 pts, 7 rbds, 1.6 blocks. A solid contributor. He’s still only 23. The age he would have been had he played 4-5 years of college ball.
That’s why teams would be better off drafting older guys like Buddy Hield that play right away. Not a superstar but consistent role player.

That’s why teams would be better off drafting older guys like Buddy Hield that play right away. Not a superstar but consistent role player.
I think more and more will come from the G league teams (and more and more will skip college and go to the G league). Mock drafts have 3 of them in the top 10. The NBA has a ton of money. Right now they pay them $125k/season. Even doubling that is nothing to the NBA. They could pay a lot more than that and just outbid colleges, and they would probably do much better marketing the kids as well (getting ROI). It’ll be interesting to see what comes of the G League.

I think more and more will come from the G league teams (and more and more will skip college and go to the G league). Mock drafts have 3 of them in the top 10. The NBA has a ton of money. Right now they pay them $125k/season. Even doubling that is nothing to the NBA. They could pay a lot more than that and just outbid colleges, and they would probably do much better marketing the kids as well (getting ROI). It’ll be interesting to see what comes of the G League.
Makes sense for them financially but no one watches G League. If you want to market yourself, college gets you more exposure.

Doesn't matter....they're still USiF. Shoulda...woulda....Maybe? Have fun balling w/Tulsa, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, UTSA. Maybe...they may get a game w/Memphis after the shuffle? They'll never have a #1 team come to their house ever again.

Doesn't matter....they're still USiF. Shoulda...woulda....Maybe? Have fun balling w/Tulsa, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, UTSA. Maybe...they may get a game w/Memphis after the shuffle? They'll never have a #1 team come to their house ever again.
Golesh must have a bot army bc they are celebrating like they won a Natty. Counting club sports . our fans should probably stop engaging them..it is all they have

I like it. The same should happen with football. Allow kids to go straight pro and get paid. College teams can be for student athletes.

I like it. The same should happen with football. Allow kids to go straight pro and get paid. College teams can be for student athletes.
It’s the Pro Leagues that have the rules. It’s not the NCAA. Basketball is 1 year and Football is 3. Baseball technically you can go straight to MLB but if you go to a University you have to wait for some dumb reason. Baseball is big at some schools but most people don’t care about it. Minor League baseball is even boring.

USiF, They have a losing record. The stats show they're terrible.

ADVERTISEMENT