ADVERTISEMENT

Miami is 1-18 against ranked teams, most under 30 don't remember them being good ...

UCFBS

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2001
USA
I'm still shocked how many pollsters and others thinking Miami is a 'power program,' and that they would 'kill UCF' in any given year.
  • Miami is 1-18 against the last 19 ranked teams they've played
  • Miami has not finished top 10 in the past 18 seasons, not since 2003
  • Miami only finished AP Top 25 a whole 2 times in the decade of the 2010s.
Anyone else running into people who refuse to believe these facts? And add-in Miami hasn't exactly been pulling in many top 25 classes, and more like top 40, as of late too.

Meanwhile ...
  • UCF is around 50% against ranked teams IIRC (even against Top 10 too, I believe 3-3 out of last 6?) in the same period
  • UCF finished AP Top 11 no less than 3 times, and AP Top 25 no less than 5 times, as many times top 10 (2) as Miami top 25 (2)
  • Those under 30, let alone 25, only remember UCF being good, and Miami never being good
I still don't understand people thinking Miami is well-respected in the state, especially anyone under 30, and thinking they can pull in recruits over UCF now that UCF is joining the Big XII.

It's one of those hyper-local things for the public at large. If you're from Miami and still there I have to believe the "U" is still pretty important to the culture. I was a kid in Kendall during the dominant years. Lamar Thomas was my favorite player, should date me some. My house was a Hurricane house. The extended family is mostly Gators. But for my generation and younger in the family, especially younger like you mention, UCF is higher up on the list than Miami. That said, no sports team, at least for my own memory, dominated the South Florida landscape like a super successful Canes squad.

For them to still be ranked in the top 25 is laughable after barely getting by App State. No offense to App State. They were very close to going 0-2. The box score is almost a dead heat.

It's one of those hyper-local things for the public at large. If you're from Miami and still there I have to believe the "U" is still pretty important to the culture. I was a kid in Kendall during the dominant years. Lamar Thomas was my favorite player, should date me some. My house was a Hurricane house. The extended family is mostly Gators. But for my generation and younger in the family, especially younger like you mention, UCF is higher up on the list than Miami. That said, no sports team, at least for my own memory, dominated the South Florida landscape like a super successful Canes squad.

For them to still be ranked in the top 25 is laughable after barely getting by App State. No offense to App State. They were very close to going 0-2. The box score is almost a dead heat.
But does it really apply to under 30, let alone under 25? That's what I'm asking.

Because it's everyone over 40, definitely, while 30-40 are mixed.

But does it really apply to under 30, let alone under 25? That's what I'm asking.

They were in the national championship game in 2002. So a 30-year old would have been 11. I definitely remember what my favorite teams were like at 11, but I don't know if I'm the average fan.

I don’t put in the energy to complain about the rankings till week 6. UCF has to prove it on the road , not just the comforts of the Bounce House

Reactions: Knight Strength
I don’t put in the energy to complain about the rankings till week 6. UCF has to prove it on the road , not just the comforts of the Bounce House
Yes, but Miami has utterly screwed up so much the past 15 years ... I'm still shocked it's still going on.

They were in the national championship game in 2002. So a 30-year old would have been 11. I definitely remember what my favorite teams were like at 11, but I don't know if I'm the average fan.
Exactly. We're looking at an entire generation that hasn't known Miami was any good. I don't think people realize what's happening in Florida.

And why we're the #3 fanbase by a wide margin now.

I'm still shocked how many pollsters and others thinking Miami is a 'power program,' and that they would 'kill UCF' in any given year.
  • Miami is 1-18 against the last 19 ranked teams they've played
  • Miami has not finished top 10 in the past 18 seasons, not since 2003
  • Miami only finished AP Top 25 a whole 2 times in the decade of the 2010s.
Anyone else running into people who refuse to believe these facts? And add-in Miami hasn't exactly been pulling in many top 25 classes, and more like top 40, as of late too.

Meanwhile ...
  • UCF is around 50% against ranked teams IIRC (even against Top 10 too, I believe 3-3 out of last 6?) in the same period
  • UCF finished AP Top 11 no less than 3 times, and AP Top 25 no less than 5 times, as many times top 10 (2) as Miami top 25 (2)
  • Those under 30, let alone 25, only remember UCF being good, and Miami never being good
I still don't understand people thinking Miami is well-respected in the state, especially anyone under 30, and thinking they can pull in recruits over UCF now that UCF is joining the Big XII.
Yes, but Miami has utterly screwed up so much the past 15 years ... I'm still shocked it's still going on.

Exactly. We're looking at an entire generation that hasn't known Miami was any good. I don't think people realize what's happening in Florida.

And why we're the #3 fanbase by a wide margin now

To me , Miami had become a glorified USF. They play in an NFL stadium 30 minutes from campus, crappy game day atmosphere, poor attendance and horrible leadership. And now with UCF in a power conference, and on a level playing field as far a recruiting goes, future doesn’t look good for the U.

To me , Miami had become a glorified USF. They play in an NFL stadium 30 minutes from campus, crappy game day atmosphere, poor attendance and horrible leadership. And now with UCF in a power conference, and on a level playing field as far a recruiting goes, future doesn’t look good for the U.
^^^ This

Miami is only 'better' than USF because they aren't 'clinging' to something like "#2 for 1 week." Miami can actually say they've won National Championships. But one has to be older and older to not only remember them, but ... even a Top 10 finish at all!

Because ... Miami is NOT a 'blueblood'! They are NOT even like Nebraska. At least Nebraska has their own stadium, and sells out (even if it's getting 'more artificial').

In fact, I see UCF more and more like Miami in that we've had great success in the New Big East (AAC) and are now moving into a conference that will raise our basketball level even more than the ACC, while massively expanding the media exposure.

It's an exciting time to be a Knight fan, and the more Miami continues to suck, the better it will be for us. Although I'm still shocked FSU is sucking even harder now, but at least FSU has had some recent success, including a BCS title in its final year.

but don’t the polls reflect the age of the actual voters (both Coaches and AP). I mean, how many coaches are below 40, and same with the sports writers (at least the ones with votes)?

but don’t the polls reflect the age of the actual voters (both Coaches and AP). I mean, how many coaches are below 40, and same with the sports writers (at least the ones with votes)?
Exactly! The total disconnect from reality, and what potential student-athletes see!

Which is why anyone arguing Miami owns Orlando after Florida, is really just out-of-touch with the past decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT