ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Farrell Rivals, What a joke, why he wouldn’t draft Shaquem Griffin

knight_tracker

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Is this guy for real? doesn't seem to know much about sports. He wouldn't draft Griffin because "don’t think a player can be effective at the NFL level without a hand. How will he tackle elite NFL players? How will he shed blocks of 350-pound tackles? How will he intercept stray passes?"
I guess he didn't watch any tape on Shaquem. Are sports writers required to do any research to keep their jobs! :sunglasses:
https://ucf.rivals.com/news/three-point-stance-browns-should-take-barkley-griffin-not-worth-a-pick

Some experts believe that he won’t be able to shed some blocks with one hand and wrap up tackles. He had to cut runners and receivers down or drag them down with one hand which will be more difficult at the NFL level with increased size and balance across the board.

I don’t think anyone realistically thinks that he will be a 1st or 2nd rounder or be an NFL star

However saying that he’s a wasted draft pick or can’t make an NFL roster isn’t a fair or 100% accurate statement IMO either

Reactions: G8RLegist
Mikesi, I know your just quoting what some experts are saying. Good tackling technique requires the tackler to wrap up the runner. Hand tackling won't cut it in the NFL. I can't wait for Shaquem to prove the experts wrong. :sunglasses:

Reactions: GILL T and Mikesi
Saw where he was going at his first point before he even mentioned Griffin.

1) Still high on Hand

photos.medleyphoto.8525959.jpg
This guy is an idiot. How can he intercept passes? He intercepted them in high school and had a pick each of the past 3 years. How did this guy shed blockers?

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Now you understand why Shaquem says that he has to maintain playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Does this writer know that Shaquem was the MVP of the Peach Bowl playing against a team that beat the two best teams in the SEC? Shaquem played against NFL talent in this game and shinned. P5 bias by writer drives his article.

Now you understand why Shaquem says that he has to maintain playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Does this writer know that Shaquem was the MVP of the Peach Bowl playing against a team that beat the two best teams in the SEC? Shaquem played against NFL talent in this game and shinned. P5 bias by writer drives his article.
He acknowledged the pretty good competition. He’s just saying instead of beating 1 marginal nfl guy to tackle another isn’t the same as getting by elite nfl talent and tackling elite talent week in and week out. He’s just trying to get clicks. His first statement was giving props to his grading on high school kids that are good now.

He acknowledged the pretty good competition. He’s just saying instead of beating 1 marginal nfl guy to tackle another isn’t the same as getting by elite nfl talent and tackling elite talent week in and week out. He’s just trying to get clicks. His first statement was giving props to his grading on high school kids that are good now.
No one really knows for sure. Only time will tell. Can’t compare him to JJ Watt. I’m not sure how well he played with one hand. Obviously, Griffin is faster, but JJ is one of the most dominant defensive players of this decade. A Hall of Famer who’s huge AND quick.

As far as interceptions, yes it’s fair to say that there are limitations and the easier type may not be as easy to come by in the NFL, however he’s proven that he can grab his share.

Additionally, if you’re drafting a defensive player based on his interception potential, that’s pretty lame. James Harrison had 8 interceptions and he’s played about 16 years in the NFL.

The tackling thing is the only question. I thought he had some issues in 2016 vs Houston, but I never looked back at the replays.

If a player is barreling toward the side without the hand, and he can’t undercut him, he cannot grab that player firm enough to tackle him. He has to grab his arms around the player to wrap him up. This would be easier on the side with the hand

I’m oversimplifying a very complex issue

Last edited:
It may be an exaggeration, but he's now attempting to compete in the NFL. You are talking about the most talented, fastest, strongest players week in and week out. Doing well against AAC and playing very well against Auburn means nothing when you are playing the best of the best. Motivated and talented players have failed to cut it in the NFL in the past. He could succeed, but I would be surprised if he could make it for more than a few years.

It's just click bait....I honestly don't believe anyone in the college football media doesn't think he is worth a draft pick.....I don't think he gets picked later than the 4th round.

That’s true of virtually every college player that goes into the NFL Draft as even First around picks end up being busts.

Why is he only holding that criteria for Griff?

Is this guy for real? doesn't seem to know much about sports. He wouldn't draft Griffin because "don’t think a player can be effective at the NFL level without a hand. How will he tackle elite NFL players? How will he shed blocks of 350-pound tackles? How will he intercept stray passes?"
I guess he didn't watch any tape on Shaquem. Are sports writers required to do any research to keep their jobs! :sunglasses:
https://ucf.rivals.com/news/three-point-stance-browns-should-take-barkley-griffin-not-worth-a-pick

The same way he tackled and pressured all the elite Auburn players who are NFL bound.

Reactions: knight_tracker
Didn't that USF player blow his hand off playing with fireworks a few years back? Wonder what Mike Farrell thought of his value after that. Think he is still a high level player.

Reactions: SublimeKnight
Didn't that USF player blow his hand off playing with fireworks a few years back? Wonder what Mike Farrell thought of his value after that. Think he is still a high level player.
JPP. He was already on Giants though. If he was a FA not sure if the line would have been long to give him a big contract.

Most of the time as long as your using correct technique and using your shoulder pads it should be fine. Yes there are times where having the other hand would be ideal. But most OLB's don't have his athleticism or his motor.

I look forward to watching him play and hopefully quieting the critics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT