ADVERTISEMENT

Muzzleloaders

fabknight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2007
I'm in the market for a muzzleloader. Do any of the hunters in here have any recommendations? I'm kinda looking at the Thompson Center Impact right now.

Came here to post this. Only logical answer.
i dont know much at all about muzzle loaders, but i do know this one has a built in suppressor and doesnt seem to be insanely expensive.

im sure there are other great options out there but seems hard to beat.

i dont know much at all about muzzle loaders, but i do know this one has a built in suppressor and doesnt seem to be insanely expensive.

im sure there are other great options out there but seems hard to beat.

Best part is you don't need an NFA Tax Stamp and you can have it shipped directly to your door, no FFL. Since the ATF doesn't consider muzzle loaders firearms and the silencer part is permanently attached to the end of the muzzle loader.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Best part is you don't need an NFA Tax Stamp and you can have it shipped directly to your door, no FFL. Since the ATF doesn't consider muzzle loaders firearms and the silencer part is permanently attached to the end of the muzzle loader.
absolutely.

do you recommend any other muzzle loader guns/brands? bet fab would like to check out a couple others before circling around to our suggestion.

absolutely.

do you recommend any other muzzle loader guns/brands? bet fab would like to check out a couple others before circling around to our suggestion.

No I know absolutely nothing about muzzle loaders, and so I won't comment on them pretending to have experience with them. Other than the silencerco one, since I'm into class 3 stuff they would hit me up with their emails when that first launched a few years ago.

silencer co maxim 50

I didn't know Muzzleloaders were still a thing honestly, I pictured them all like this:

I just looked at the SC Maxim 50. It looks like a really cool way to do muzzleloading; I just don't get why anyone wants to. I watched the instruction video and there's so many steps just to load the rifle and prime it. There's a reason we invented the internal combustion cartridge! Good for a hobby I guess.

I didn't know Muzzleloaders were still a thing honestly, I pictured them all like this:

I just looked at the SC Maxim 50. It looks like a really cool way to do muzzleloading; I just don't get why anyone wants to. I watched the instruction video and there's so many steps just to load the rifle and prime it. There's a reason we invented the internal combustion cartridge! Good for a hobby I guess.

There are portions of deer season dedicated to bows and to muzzleloaders. It occurs before the start of regular rifle season so if you have a bow and a muzzleloader, you get a couple of extra weeks of deer season with a lot fewer hunters out. Besides, they are fun.

There are portions of deer season dedicated to bows and to muzzleloaders. It occurs before the start of regular rifle season so if you have a bow and a muzzleloader, you get a couple of extra weeks of deer season with a lot fewer hunters out. Besides, they are fun.

Didn't know that. I think I'd just opt to learn a bow.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Primitive Firearms season is seperate from bow season and can be the absolute best time to hunt here as far as buck activity. I have had a cva break action for about 10 years in a nickel plated finish . Can be had much cheaper than Thompson center. Quite honestly no more than you will use it I wouldn't spend any more than that. Just lear everything about how to clean it etc and get all the tools etc you need up front. Bore Butter is a must imo when you get to that point .

same, i dont see the point in the muzzle loader to be honest. i think it would be better to pick up and learn the archery. I think archery would be fun and challenging.
Bows are much more challenging since the effective range is basically 30 to 40 yards. A muzzleloader with the proper combination of ammo, primers and powder should get you to 200+ yards if you find what works best with the gun. A muzzleloader is more challenging than a standard rifle because a rifle typically shoots a lot flatter. At 100 yards, the bullet will drop a foot or so.

Bows are much more challenging since the effective range is basically 30 to 40 yards. A muzzleloader with the proper combination of ammo, primers and powder should get you to 200+ yards if you find what works best with the gun. A muzzleloader is more challenging than a standard rifle because a rifle typically shoots a lot flatter. At 100 yards, the bullet will drop a foot or so.
I don't care to shoot a deer at much over 100 to 125 with a muzzle loader but thats me

I opt for Primitive Man hunting season where you’re only allowed to kill with your hands and a knife

I don't care to shoot a deer at much over 100 to 125 with a muzzle loader but thats me

Agreed. Most of the folks I've spoken with would agree with you. In doing some reading, there are hunters that do a lot of work on their ammo, powder, primer selection which really impact the performance of the rifle. Some of the articles I've read are saying that some hunters are able to get 2" to 5" groupings at 200 yards with the right combo.

Primitive Firearms season is seperate from bow season and can be the absolute best time to hunt here as far as buck activity. I have had a cva break action for about 10 years in a nickel plated finish . Can be had much cheaper than Thompson center. Quite honestly no more than you will use it I wouldn't spend any more than that. Just lear everything about how to clean it etc and get all the tools etc you need up front. Bore Butter is a must imo when you get to that point .

Thanks. Nice recommendation.

I was looking at the Thompson Center Impact (not the Thompson Center). It's more of the price point of the Optima V2.

After doing some reading on your Optima V2 recommendation, I'm seriously going to have to look at it. Most of the reviewers on multiple sites swear by it and it seems to have fewer issues with the breech plug than the Thompson (besides, you can also get the Optima V2 in stainless).

Agreed. Most of the folks I've spoken with would agree with you. In doing some reading, there are hunters that do a lot of work on their ammo, powder, primer selection which really impact the performance of the rifle. Some of the articles I've read are saying that some hunters are able to get 2" to 5" groupings at 200 yards with the right combo.
Yeah I’ve seen those type articles and I’m sure it’s possibke to do . I just always consider the field to be a completely different deal than the bench and target shooting

Thanks. Nice recommendation.

I was looking at the Thompson Center Impact (not the Thompson Center). It's more of the price point of the Optima V2.

After doing some reading on your Optima V2 recommendation, I'm seriously going to have to look at it. Most of the reviewers on multiple sites swear by it and it seems to have fewer issues with the breech plug than the Thompson (besides, you can also get the Optima V2 in stainless).
Yeah they are super reliable

Yeah I’ve seen those type articles and I’m sure it’s possibke to do . I just always consider the field to be a completely different deal than the bench and target shooting
LOL. I'm deadly accurate with a couple of sandbags on a picnic table.

It is. If you're a proficient shooter, the biggest thing to overcome is simply controlling your breathing if you've been moving a lot before coming up on a buck. Especially if you're trekking through the cold or heat. It's totally different from shooting at a range where you're sitting and heart rate/rate of breathing is controlled.

Reactions: btbones
Is it really "hunting" if you're shooting from 200 yards away? Bow hunters are the real hunters, especially if they don't use stands or blinds.

Is it really "hunting" if you're shooting from 200 yards away? Bow hunters are the real hunters, especially if they don't use stands or blinds.
Most Bow hunters use stands and blinds. They climb High and use all sorts of scent protection , buck lures etc. There is a point where it becomes shooting but lots of times the 200 yard shots come after stalking a mulie in his territory or something similar, and that's not as easy as it might sound. Deer notice your movement and scent from that range . I am certainly not being confrontational but it all sounds easy until you are doing it.

The first dude to use a bow and arrow was probably told the same thing by some old caveman who only used atl-atl to hunt.

It is. If you're a proficient shooter, the biggest thing to overcome is simply controlling your breathing if you've been moving a lot before coming up on a buck. Especially if you're trekking through the cold or heat. It's totally different from shooting at a range where you're sitting and heart rate/rate of breathing is controlled.
Exactly . I always make sure i tell myself to take a breath and exhale before pulling the trigger. When your heart starts beating out of your chest and you start seeing the crosshairs / sights begin to move controlled breathing is the only thing that can steady you

And people will laugh but whatever we come up with the animals adapt. They pattern our habits just like we try and do theirs, thing is the mature bucks are better at it than we are

Yep. I swear deer know when they are in season. I used to hunt hogs all the time, on foot flushing them out. I'd see deer very regularily within range, but never when they were in season. The first day of deer season they were like ghosts.

Reactions: fabknight
Yep. I swear deer know when they are in season. I used to hunt hogs all the time, on foot flushing them out. I'd see deer very regularily within range, but never when they were in season. The first day of deer season they were like ghosts.
Hogs on deer leases do the same. Make your mind up you want to eliminate them and they go nocturnal forever. I have always felt deer could figure out human intentions through some sort of ESP lol

There's a growing number of hunters that object ethically to long range hunting and refuse to do it. I'm not a good enough shot to even attempt it but I know a few expert shots who won't take a kill over 200-250 meters.

On the other hand there are guys out there tagging game at 500-800 meters.

There's also the fact that at long range your chances of maiming the animal increase.

I have a friend hunting in south africa right now. hes got a gemsbok, impalla, and a zebra so far. not sure what they are going after next.

Most Bow hunters use stands and blinds. They climb High and use all sorts of scent protection , buck lures etc. There is a point where it becomes shooting but lots of times the 200 yard shots come after stalking a mulie in his territory or something similar, and that's not as easy as it might sound. Deer notice your movement and scent from that range . I am certainly not being confrontational but it all sounds easy until you are doing it.

I spent some time in Montana and know folks that have gotten antelope with a bow by stalking only. That's some serious dedication if you've seen where antelope live. Same with elk. I can't imagine being 30 yards away from a 6 point bull elk with nothing but bushes between you.

There's a growing number of hunters that object ethically to long range hunting and refuse to do it. I'm not a good enough shot to even attempt it but I know a few expert shots who won't take a kill over 200-250 meters.

On the other hand there are guys out there tagging game at 500-800 meters.

There's also the fact that at long range your chances of maiming the animal increase.
Yeah and I prefer those limits as well as other conditions . How clear is the shot ? Angle is another huge issue and can lead to a wounded animal . If you aren’t pretty certain you can Drop the animal in it’s tracks don’t shoot .

Reactions: fabknight
I have a friend hunting in south africa right now. hes got a gemsbok, impalla, and a zebra so far. not sure what they are going after next.
Don’t get offended by me saying this but I hate that safari stuff . It’s most often killing for the sake of killing . If it’s not going on my table I’m not interested

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Don’t get offended by me saying this but I hate that safari stuff . It’s most often killing for the sake of killing . If it’s not going on my table I’m not interested

Me too. Trophy hunting is just making up for TDS. I killed dozens of hogs, and always trekked out with it quartered, even if I was miles deep into the swamp on foot, which I usually was. Made for some tasty BBQ.

ADVERTISEMENT