ADVERTISEMENT

My Boss Quit

UCFRogerz

Golden Knight
Apr 20, 2007
And he wants me to go with him... This was a few weeks ago but he's gone now and I can talk about it...

Have any of you experienced this?

I was hired when he became overloaded with a new business segment he was developing took off. Him and I tag teamed growing this segment over the last few years and we are basically the only two people that understand/know this segment. He got pissed and quit, leaving just me months before we get an avalanche of work that would have required a third person. He was hired at another company to develop their aerospace sector, from scratch, and he wants me to go with him.

Now, where I am, I have a huge opportunity in front of me, being the sole person that understands this work and getting essentially thrust into leading the entire effort. With that, I get to do his job, and mine, until I can hire a clone of myself.

If I go, I will never work for this company again.

My initial plan is to ride it out for a while, see where my current job goes, see how his opportunity plays out, and keep up with what he's doing.

Discuss.

Id say stick with your current company for a bit. See if your current company decides to step up. See if you can potentially move up and if they are willing to help backfill. If not, jump ship. Sounds like your current boss would still probably take you on down the road anyways. No reason to burn any bridges just yet.

Who's coming with me, man?
who-s-coming-with-me-o.gif

It's all about how much you like your job and the company you work "with" (notice I don't say "for": working "for" somebody or working "with" somebody are two completely different levels of job ownership and pride).

Don't worry about "grass is or isn't greener" arguments, just go with what makes you happy. I've been with the same company for eleven and a half years because of that. I've endured plenty of headaches and I also had plenty of chances to leave but, in the end, I don't regret my decision one bit.

Good luck, dude!

Your plan sounds like a solid one. Wait a bit to see what your company does and in the meanwhile keep tabs on the old boss in case jumping ship becomes necessary. He might regret doing what he did. The grass isn't always greener.

I've seen lawsuits where situations like this, albeit a larger scale, have arisen. Make sure your company doesn't go after the new company especially if proprietary info was in his head.

The companies involved in the particular lawsuit was Boeing and Lockheed.

Rocket science. Read the goddamn thread.
Hey dumbass, I have no damn idea what you do and the only thing you mentioned was aerospace. It could be anything with aerospace, you could be building office buildings for the industry, you could be selling ink cartridges to the industry, you could supply them with staffing.

Might I suggest you stay where you're at and be happy you have a job.

Opinions could change a lot depending on if they ever get with you about a $$$ increase with the promotion. I say no decisions can be made until that number is out there.

And you buy me something nice with extra $$$ money for being a supportive wife
It really is all about the money, you are old enough that the title is good and will help you in the future, but the $$$ is the most important thing (assuming you are actually enjoying things)

My boss left my old job back in February. I followed him at the end of March and couldn't be happier. I am making much more and am in more control of my career than ever before.

It was scary at first because we essentially started-up our own brokerage. But almost 4 months in and I couldn't be happier.

Give them a couple of weeks to show you whether they are going to reward you our just give you more work.

If they just expect you to step up and take the extra load then bail if the other job is right.

And definitely talk it over with effer

Reactions: YouSeeEffer
We started the money talk yesterday and I'm less convinced that I will be paid for the job that I am performing, one of the reasons my former boss moved on. This place has an odd way of using years of experience vs job description to make a bulk of these decisions. I hope it doesn't end up working out that way, but, I have the cards, I suppose.

This is my fear. Should these 2 people, with the same years of experience be paid similarly?

Engineer 1
Engineers

Engineer 2
Engineers
Project management
Personnel management
Client management
Marketing at conferences
Writes papers and presents at conferences
Writes articles for engineering magazines
Has been (just recently anyways) been trumpeted as the lead of this segment for the company by a VP

I'm just pissing my self off.

No, of course they shouldn't be paid the same and a company that uses longevity and career experience to justify keeping your pay down isn't a company I would personally want to work for.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
It depends on how your company views you. If they see you as replaceable then they won't think twice about letting you walk away.
If this new segment is so important and you've shown the value to the company then it would be an easy decision on their(and your) part.
No offense, but Engineer 2 doesn't sound very inspiring, why haven't you been promoted if you are doing so much?

Some companies do not care about publications and presentations, you end up doing it for resume building.
The management part only counts if you are saving them money or they see it as something you should be doing anyway. I usually end up "owning" the projects and the PMs don't do anything besides bitch about budget

It depends on how your company views you. If they see you as replaceable then they won't think twice about letting you walk away.
If this new segment is so important and you've shown the value to the company then it would be an easy decision on their(and your) part.
No offense, but Engineer 2 doesn't sound very inspiring, why haven't you been promoted if you are doing so much?
You misunderstood. Those aren't levels, just two engineers with the same number of years experience. A hypothetical examination.

Some companies do not care about publications and presentations, you end up doing it for resume building.
The management part only counts if you are saving them money or they see it as something you should be doing anyway. I usually end up "owning" the projects and the PMs don't do anything besides bitch about budget
This place asks me to do the papers/presentations, I'm not initiating it.

I'd be really, really wary of "building anything from scratch" as you've described. I've had a former boss leave for exactly the same thing, although different job/industry, and it turned out to be a major mistake for him. If I had left with him I'd going down with him.

Companies always promise way more flexibility and patience than they're going to actually provide. And if management changes then those promises become null and void.

I'd let him do his new job, keep tabs, and see if this doesn't explode in his face first before considering moving.

I'd be really, really wary of "building anything from scratch" as you've described. I've had a former boss leave for exactly the same thing, although different job/industry, and it turned out to be a major mistake for him. If I had left with him I'd going down with him.

Companies always promise way more flexibility and patience than they're going to actually provide. And if management changes then those promises become null and void.

I'd let him do his new job, keep tabs, and see if this doesn't explode in his face first before considering moving.
This was/is my biggest concern.

I wouldn't burn the bridge with your current company even if you don't get a substantial raise. If your old boss is successful he'll always be looking to hire. IIRC there aren't many jobs in your field. You'll be stuck in the desert if you leave and it doesn't work out. And it's not like you hate your current job. Jmo.

I get that it's a concern, but you need to weigh that risk with the potential value. Although, given your situation and being in a very similar one family wise, I can't see myself taking too huge of a risk right now. That being said, if your company isn't taking care of you and the risk is something you can manage then I'd say go for it. Ultimately though, only you know your risk tolerance.

This place asks me to do the papers/presentations, I'm not initiating it.
I know. We are asked to do it too to maintain the "stature of the firm". Usually is to allow them to go to the conferences, drink and eat on the company's dime.
What we found out was that corporate does not really care if you do it or not, it is your direct superior that has to meet a goal for his bonus or raise. Since you are doing the presentations and papers, he doesn't care if "Engineer 1" does not do it.
Same with the management part: somebody is probably taking the credit for your good work, maybe the same VP that was giving you kudos. He is probably saying: We don't need to replace that guy, I have Rogerz taking the lead for 50 cents on the dollar

I know. We are asked to do it too to maintain the "stature of the firm". Usually is to allow them to go to the conferences, drink and eat on the company's dime.
What we found out was that corporate does not really care if you do it or not, it is your direct superior that has to meet a goal for his bonus or raise. Since you are doing the presentations and papers, he doesn't care if "Engineer 1" does not do it.
Same with the management part: somebody is probably taking the credit for your good work, maybe the same VP that was giving you kudos. He is probably saying: We don't need to replace that guy, I have Rogerz taking the lead for 50 cents on the dollar

This is what I don't want to happen where I am.

The bitch doing the bitch work for $0.50 on the $1.00 after the supervisor leaves & the person above lookin great can only go on for so long.

Not knowing anything about the specifics of your industry, I'd sit tight & monitor your old bosses move. 50/50 unless current company shows you some love.

If 2-3 months go by & new company looks good use em as ammo against current company. Old call your bluff you're good to go or better yet they show u love.

I don't get shitty companies; have to think its best to get & retain & build people vs do everything on the cheap & have high TO

Reactions: USFSucks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT