ADVERTISEMENT

N. Korea flirting with annihilation

The North would never actually attack the South, unless the Chinese mobilized their military actually into N Korea to help counter the US presence. Which is really unlikely.

I know its unlikely. Just hoping that N. Korea does something stupid and forces our hand.

N Korea launching an attack would likely mean most of Seoul disappearing. N Korea has something like 5,000 artillery guns on the border and Seoul is just 30 miles away. NK could reach Seoul easily if they have rocket assist projectiles which is likely.

I know its unlikely. Just hoping that N. Korea does something stupid and forces our hand.
Understand that's almost a "nuclear" result.

The result is the US, Japan and South Korea would immediately implement a war hellbent on "total regime change." The question is if China would allow it. They may at this point.

I.e., North Korea artillery is within range of Seoul. Any shelling would immediately, destroying western and other, global investments in Seoul as they cripple Samsung and other, key industries.

So we do not want this to happen. It would send the world economy into shock. North Korea knows this. Clinton even knew it. But Carter went in back in 1994, against the Clinton administration's wishes. And by 1999, they stuck their finger up at the Clinton administration again.

Without 9/11, most Americans would have never been the wiser either. But after 9/11, W. put everyone on notice, which meant North Korea was not going to be tolerated any more. And by 2005, after W. convinced the 1994 agreement brokered by Carter was a mistake, even China joined Japan, South Korea and Taiwan (long story, geo-politics) on going against North Korea.

And the result was that they did what they planned on doing all along ... just no longer in secret.

But all of it would not be an issue if Seoul wasn't within range of conventional artillery of North Korea. Which makes me wonder ... will the Obama administration pre-emptively strike -- secretly, without warning -- if they feel North Korea has got that itchy finger?

And would the world blame the US, even if the US prevented 80% of the shelling that it claims North Korea was "within minutes of starting"?

It's exactly like the Cuba Missile Crisis ... from the standpoint of South Korea.
I've always said it's not so much a question of "if," but "when."

But I'm so glad the Obama administration has reversed the Clinton-W. decision to deploy THAAD. All while the Russians have sold North Korea 300X, possibly even 400. That's American popularism for you ... let our enemies roll out defenses, while we leave our troops and our allies defenseless. That's the US media ignorance at work. I.e.,

- "THAAD is a defensive system that upsets the balance, and could actually cause nuclear war."
- "300X/400 is just a defensive system, so there's nothing wrong with Iran and North Korea getting it."

Kinda funny since North Korea was the major argument why Clinton put all that money into developing THAAD.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsaholic
North Korea is the world's largest death cult. It is written into their constitution. They go down together.

They're also the world's leader in death camps, work camps, political imprisonment/slaughter, and systematic state sponsored murder.

But as is true with the world, it's always "never again" for the NEXT time.

Understand that's almost a "nuclear" result.

The result is the US, Japan and South Korea would immediately implement a war hellbent on "total regime change." The question is if China would allow it. They may at this point.

I.e., North Korea artillery is within range of Seoul. Any shelling would immediately, destroying western and other, global investments in Seoul as they cripple Samsung and other, key industries.

But I'm so glad the Obama administration has reversed the Clinton-W. decision to deploy THAAD. All while the Russians have sold North Korea 300X, possibly even 400. That's American popularism for you ... let our enemies roll out defenses, while we leave our troops and our allies defenseless. That's the US media ignorance at work. I.e.,

- "THAAD is a defensive system that upsets the balance, and could actually cause nuclear war."
- "300X/400 is just a defensive system, so there's nothing wrong with Iran and North Korea getting it."

Kinda funny since North Korea was the major argument why Clinton put all that money into developing THAAD.
It's not quite as simple as Obama reversing anyone's decision. There is a very strong nationalistic sentiment in the ROK and especially at DAPA and MND. They simply want to build their own systems, no matter what they are leaving on the table in terms of capability. From the US side, it can be extremely difficult to integrate with their systems. While they have some very smart engineers at Samsung Defense Services, they are years (if not decades) behind us in terms of understanding all the nuances of C2 and mission critical systems. But their leadership either doesn't know that or doesn't care and just pushes on with their solutions at all costs, which really causes problems working with them.

Not to mention that every point in every negotiation, decision, and implementation is a battle that they have to win.

It's not quite as simple as Obama reversing anyone's decision. There is a very strong nationalistic sentiment in the ROK and especially at DAPA and MND. They simply want to build their own systems, no matter what they are leaving on the table in terms of capability. From the US side, it can be extremely difficult to integrate with their systems. While they have some very smart engineers at Samsung Defense Services, they are years (if not decades) behind us in terms of understanding all the nuances of C2 and mission critical systems. But their leadership either doesn't know that or doesn't care and just pushes on with their solutions at all costs, which really causes problems working with them.

Not to mention that every point in every negotiation, decision, and implementation is a battle that they have to win.
I was speaking of the impact of massive, western consumerism that depends on not only Samsung and other goods from the ROK, but to balance against the Chinese and Taiwanese fabs ... even before we get into the western investments (and there are a lot -- GM and others).

Because make no mistake ... once North Korea starts shelling Seoul, it's over. We're going to have a global hit, and the question is only how big. Although you will see the US immediately invade North Korea at that point, with the South Koreans and possibly even the Japanese involved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT