ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA: Home attendance down for USF, FSU and Florida Gators

Renegade2007

Five-Star Recruit
Dec 21, 2009
Good read for us. While attendance was down for FSU, UF, and the cows this past year, our attendance went up 2 years in a row. And we had the 29th highest jump in attendance this past year. Of course most of that is due to our amazing season, but a boost is a boost. Our fanbase supports only winners (unfortunately, depending how you feel about that). Just win, baby win!

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gator...tendance-down-for-usf-fsu-and-florida-gators/

Other nuggets from the article:
  • Attendance nationwide was down 962, or about 2 percent
  • Lane Kiffin's Florida Atlantic Owls had the third biggest increase nationally, jumping from 10,073 to 18,948.
  • Florida International dropped from 16,789 to 14,286.

Last edited:
I read yesterday that the National Average went down appr. 1500 fans per game. National average around 42K. What was our average last year?

Attendance is trending down Nationally for a lot of reasons. I agree with this quote from the soundoff board cbs article on the attendance issues:
One former Power Five athletic director called it a "societal shift" leading the powers that be scrambling to figure out the viewing habits of millennials as well as well-heeled alumni.
"This is not surprising to me," said Bill Lutzen, a veteran sports TV programmer who is currently the CFO of a web optimization firm. "This issue is with lack of involvement of the college students. They no longer view attending sporting events as part of the university experience."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ion-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/

Let's be honest, there were entire sections empty for a lot of UCF home games.

UCF will be up 2 seasons in a row on purchased tickets but if the team loses more than 2 games the actual attendance will drop #UCFast.

The numbers USF puts out is a joke. No way they average 31K fan per home game. They'd have to include security, concession people, scoreboard operator and the janitors to get that.

I can't believe Florida wasn't down more than we were. Our team hasn't been fun to watch since 2010. We will probably see a significant bump this year as everyone is excited about the new coaching staff. We will probably have 50k+ at our spring game. FSU is almost certain to be down more this year as Taggart installs a new system and there are bond to be more losses. UCF should see the biggest jump coming off your great year. I haven't looked at your schedule. Do you have strong traveling teams coming to town?

TBH though, (2) games severely hurt the average - UConn and AP. The rest were good.
I know playing home opener we sell tickets anyway. But imagine if it was at least FAU if not PITT instead of SC State type teams. Why can’t we do a spring game against FCS instead of ourselves? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Obviously not give them the guarantee but I’d rather see our 1st strings in 1st, 2nd in 2nd and so on vs real competition. Then get a real team for home opener.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
I know playing home opener we sell tickets anyway. But imagine if it was at least FAU if not PITT instead of SC State type teams. Why can’t we do a spring game against FCS instead of ourselves? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Obviously not give them the guarantee but I’d rather see our 1st strings in 1st, 2nd in 2nd and so on vs real competition. Then get a real team for home opener.

Because that would violate the NCAA rules.

Attendance is trending down Nationally for a lot of reasons. I agree with this quote from the soundoff board cbs article on the attendance issues:
One former Power Five athletic director called it a "societal shift" leading the powers that be scrambling to figure out the viewing habits of millennials as well as well-heeled alumni.
"This is not surprising to me," said Bill Lutzen, a veteran sports TV programmer who is currently the CFO of a web optimization firm. "This issue is with lack of involvement of the college students. They no longer view attending sporting events as part of the university experience."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ion-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/

Let's be honest, there were entire sections empty for a lot of UCF home games.

UCF will be up 2 seasons in a row on purchased tickets but if the team loses more than 2 games the actual attendance will drop #UCFast.
It’s just easier and better to watch a game at home. You can pause and rewind anytime you want.

Just for fun where do you find the actual attendance numbers for USF games at the TSA. Anyone know how to find this?

TBH though, (2) games severely hurt the average - UConn and AP. The rest were good.

Irma hurt our attendance last year. I had tickets for Memphis, GT, and USF. They gave me a refund for 2 Games because I couldn’t attend the others (but forced people to watch our game via TV). Also, I scheduled a fall trip during the AP game because it was originally a bye week. This year, I’m going to attend more games but I’m going to try for more October & November Games.

Irma hurt our attendance last year. I had tickets for Memphis, GT, and USF. They gave me a refund for 2 Games because I couldn’t attend the others (but forced people to watch our game via TV). Also, I scheduled a fall trip during the AP game because it was originally a bye week. This year, I’m going to attend more games but I’m going to try for more October & November Games.

3 straight home games in November will be nice!

Got robbed the last time I hung out around their stadium

Almost got into a fist fight when we lost 64-3?. Some USF prick dumped a portion of a beer on my wife and I. Wasn’t going to fight 6+ people but they were removed by several officers. I then made several other Bulls fans weary when I pulled out my pocket knife and cut up an apple. My knife was so sharp it went through it like butter. USF is the only stadium I didn’t feel safe in and will not go back to. I’ve been to ECU, UM, UF, Memphis, Houston, Southern Miss, and FSU. The Tampa neighborhood by the stadium made OBT feel safe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT