ADVERTISEMENT

New Coaching Staff

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
I know we've been focused on recruiting but now that we have the complete staff
what do you all think?

http://ucfknights.com/coaches.aspx?roster=229

Personally, I see it as an upgrade in both OL coaching and defense in general with more coaches that have P5 experience.

I realize that we wont know until we see the product on the field. Also, I hate defenses that
don't attack the offense and really haven't analysed Shannon's style. Does anybody have
some film on his defense at Miami for example?

On paper, it looks to be a slight step forward or, at worst, even.

However, I think the last staff had some intangibles that showed throughout the season (mainly wrt motivating players). As you say, will need to see some games to know for sure but I like our chances.

At this point saying the new staff is an upgrade is no different than people saying Auburn was better because they have SEC experience or for Shannon the ACC.

For Heupel to be an upgrade he has to either go undefeated or maximum of one loss in either of the next two seasons.

Right now it's hard to believe this staff can be more motivating than frost staff, which was by far their biggest strength.

At this point saying the new staff is an upgrade is no different than people saying Auburn was better because they have SEC experience or for Shannon the ACC.

For Heupel to be an upgrade he has to either go undefeated or maximum of one loss in either of the next two seasons.

Right now it's hard to believe this staff can be more motivating than frost staff, which was by far their biggest strength.
Frost’s Best attribute was his off the field preparation. We never had a “oh sh*t!” moment last year where we had to come from behind. I don’t know how Frost would have responded. His preparation to make sure that didn’t happen was incredible.

Frost’s Best attribute was his off the field preparation. We never had a “oh sh*t!” moment last year where we had to come from behind. I don’t know how Frost would have responded. His preparation to make sure that didn’t happen was incredible.
I agree except for the USF game I had an oh sh*t feeling when they pulled ahead late and then we punted back to them.

You don’t count the two kicks Memphis had to beat us in the CCG?

Reactions: Wings0fred
Expecting undefeated is a bar a bit too high. At least 10 wins and a conference title. That’s not crazy with a returning QB that played at a Heisman level last year.

That said, who knows how the team and staff gel. It’s not like we just replaced a coach or two. We replaced everything from the head coach to what seems like down to the custodial staff. The whole organization was replaced.

Reactions: Mikesi

I was pretty “oh sh*t” against both USF and Memphis the second time around.

To the original point, in comparing this staff vs the Frost staff when they were hired I would side with this one. That said, the Frost staff was obviously successful, whereas this staff hasn’t played a game.

I was pretty “oh sh*t” against both USF and Memphis the second time around.

To the original point, in comparing this staff vs the Frost staff when they were hired I would side with this one. That said, the Frost staff was obviously successful, whereas this staff hasn’t played a game.

I mean a game where we go down 14 points in the 1st quarter.

We could have easily had up to 3 losses USF, Memphis, possibly even SMU.
Memphis was the only game where we were in position to lose at the end of regulation. SMU and USF could have tied with a score. Navy could have gone ahead in the 4th at one point, but there was a lot of time left. The USF and Memphis games are the only that I truly sweated.

Reactions: Mikesi
Frost is a good coach. Maybe he wasn’t the best gameday coach and was outcoached on several occasions, but he made decent adjustments. He’s a motivator and program builder. He put UCF in a position that didn’t require us to rely on large comebacks

Could we have lost 2-3 games? Absolutely, however great teams seem to win those close games (2013 and 2017), while mediocre teams lose them (2016).

As far a Heupel/Shannon. They will probably be better than the 2016 coaching staff was and ultimately could be as good or better than how that same staff coached in 2017, but doubt they will be initially.

Who knows

Reactions: RobUCF
Memphis was the only game where we were in position to lose at the end of regulation. SMU and USF could have tied with a score. Navy could have gone ahead in the 4th at one point, but there was a lot of time left. The USF and Memphis games are the only that I truly sweated.
Honestly, we should have lost the Memphis game and if it wasn’t for Mike Hughes, we would have lost to USF. Flowers was too hot and Chinander was mentally checked out

2 loses and a crap bowl game.

It usually takes some breaks and a miracle to go undefeated
We had both last year.

In 2013 we had many, however we needed one more to beat South Carolina

Reactions: muckdawg24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT