ADVERTISEMENT

New commit

Even a great OL and a great RB can take you places.
The days of the Kevin Smith type of running back are in the past. It didn’t get us by Mississippi State in 2007. We had Kyle Israel.
We couldn’t get past USF from 2005-2008.

Blake Bortles and our great offensive line of 2013 showed us what we can be with that combo and a stable of good RBs and WRs.

Yes, Ellerbe is doing a great job of bringing in linemen with impressive size and height upon their arrival on campus.
Wasn’t Jah Reid only a 2-Star? He had a lot of length and was coached up to be a star. He was not a talented player initially

Yes, Ellerbe is doing a great job of bringing in linemen with impressive size and height upon their arrival on campus.
Wasn’t Jah Reid only a 2-Star? He had a lot of length and was coached up to be a star. He was not a talented player initially

Many times (at UCF's level), very good to great OL are made, not found (i.e. already great).

Yes,most "already great" (on a HS level OL, doesn't guarantee "great" success at the college level) are usually gobbled up at the P5 level but I think OL is one of those positions where many "become" great over a 5 year period so you just hope you can turn many of them into starters after 2-3 years.

Many times (at UCF's level), very good to great OL are made, not found (i.e. already great).

Yes,most "already great" (on a HS level OL, doesn't guarantee "great" success at the college level) are usually gobbled up at the P5 level but I think OL is one of those positions where many "become" great over a 5 year period so you just hope you can turn many of them into starters after 2-3 years.
Exactly and you can’t teach length/height and those recruits all have it.

Those are some big boys! If their footwork matches their size then you've got some devastating tackles for the future. Match guys like this with a qb who can move laterally and throw on the run and you have a recipe for success against even the best defenses

This is true. We usually don't get first pick or 4* of 5* star recruits. SO WE BUILD THEM!!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikesi
Well, yes but Darren McFadden says hi.
His Arkansas offensive lines weren’t good? Felix Jones was on that team as well. Based on what they did in the NFL, the same rules held true. They played well only when they had a good offensive line

Mediocre backs have been great behind great offensive lines moreso than the other way around

Look at Demarco Murray.

An exception was Barry Sanders. That dude didn’t need a line.

what was the average size of the OLs during the GOL era?
We had good size during the GOL era, but not quite the height and weight combination

However, when the line was good the team was good. Problem was we never had a good line and QB together except for 2013 and 2010 when Godfrey was playing well

They 2014 and 2015 lines were not good and Holman was erratic to boot

The 2007 line was very good, but the QB play with Israel was terrible. That year was Kevin Smith vs the world. Any QB play at all and we would have beaten Mississippi State in the Liberty Bowl

His Arkansas offensive lines weren’t good? Felix Jones was on that team as well. Based on what they did in the NFL, the same rules held true. They played well only when they had a good offensive line

Mediocre backs have been great behind great offensive lines moreso than the other way around

Look at Demarco Murray.

There were 3 RBs that ended up playing in NFL that year.

Look at Demarco Murray.

Thats funny. I was actually going to say DeMarco says hi.
Neither of them had much for offensive lines.

As far as Barry goes, he shouldn't be used as a measure for anyone. That just isnt fair.

Octavius Brothers From Rockledge committed. Solid. I will take cocoa/Rockledge players all day long! those 2 schools are a little off the radar football factories.
When I read this I thought that there were two commits, from a set of brothers. Thought to myself, what are the odds..

Reactions: Knight Strength
Last two guys were 6’1” and 6’2”. That’s not tall enough for 4-3 linebackers?
6 foot 2 is. However, we have seen it in the past that some of the shorter linebackers max out at about 220-225 lbs. It becomes a problem when 300lb+ guards try to run it down our throats

Guys like Demetrius Brim had good size. Guys like Mark Rucker were worn down and pushed around

6 foot 2 is. However, we have seen it in the past that some of the shorter linebackers max out at about 220-225 lbs. It becomes a problem when 300lb+ guards try to run it down our throats

Guys like Demetrius Brim had good size. Guys like Mark Rucker were worn down and pushed around
Teams don’t run in this league, not really a problem.

Teams don’t run in this league, not really a problem.
OOC games and Bowl games

Teams like Pitt, Georgia Tech, Stanford, etc.
Prototypical linebackers even in college now are 6’ 2” and above. They can better defend the pass and can carry more weight. We have failed with undersized linebackers. Maybe one, but you need some size back there.

IDK. I rather have a guy 6’3-6’4 230-240lbs over a guy 5’11-6’1 220-225lbs. If all other things are equal. Speed, skill, toughness, etc.

very true.....225 doesn't cut the mustard any longer

Reactions: Mikesi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT