ADVERTISEMENT

New JUCO CB

shacket

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2020
So this JUCO kid Emmanuel from NY commits last night, had offers from Auburn and Tennessee and 247Sports rating 85.00. I go back and check this morning and his rating has dropped to 80.83. LMAO is this a conspiracy? So blatant.

The 80.83 was his recruitment out of high school his Juco is .85. 247 website spazzes sometimes like when instead of stars it’s beer mug emojis. Hope I’m not the only one who see that sometimes lol

Gotcha. It does seem like it impacted our team average and rankings though?

Reactions: Knight Strength
So this JUCO kid Emmanuel from NY commits last night, had offers from Auburn and Tennessee and 247Sports rating 85.00. I go back and check this morning and his rating has dropped to 80.83. LMAO is this a conspiracy? So blatant.
Don't worry about the rankings or ratings, it's more about how the coaches are going to develop and use him

This is how you have a 3yr top 25team with recruiting in the 50s.

Salty, only top ten recruiting classes get invited to CFP
I’m all for better recruiting, you get to the CFP by winning all or most of your games and beating top opponents..A lot of our drafted players were in the low 80s, Gabe 80, T Smith 81, I could go on...it’s more about the determination of the player and the system the coaches set up than their ranking by 247

It’s because rivals sucks and has him rated as a 5.2 low 2 star. 247 rates him 85 a solid 3 star. The composite factors rivals in. Same reason Brown, Richardson, and Celiscar are low in the composite.

That anyone still cares about a final recruiting ranking is amazing to me. Beyond the top 10% of athletes the rest is just guesswork and marketing. You people are buying in and worrying about it.

I don’t care about the star ratings, I do like it when the recruit get a lot of big school offers like Brown from this years class. Our lowest ranked recruit on 247 but could be one of our best recruits. Still a lot of ????

"you get to the CFP by winning all or most of your games"

Really? UCF won all their games two years in a row and didn't sniff the CFP..

Reactions: JAFFX2
"you get to the CFP by winning all or most of your games"

Really? UCF won all their games two years in a row and didn't sniff the CFP..

Don't pick and choose parts of my posts, you're manipulating what I said,

I said: "you get to the CFP by winning all or most of your games and beating top opponents" ... we didn't beat enough big opponents to get in those 2 years

Don't quote me again if youre going to misrepresent

That anyone still cares about a final recruiting ranking is amazing to me. Beyond the top 10% of athletes the rest is just guesswork and marketing. You people are buying in and worrying about it.
It’s like the poll rankings - being highly ranked is not the best indication of a team’s ability to be successful...but ranking highly generates buzz.

It’s better for us to have top (whatever) classes, even if it doesn’t translate to the field. I know it’s BS but, unfortunately, it does matter somewhat for perception.

When 247 didn’t factor in rivals rating for the new recruit, UCF was ranked 60 in the 247 composite. After they factored in the stupid rivals rating it dropped to 68. That is one bad rating from one site on one recruit. The difference between 8 spots.

While I definitely understand that the recruiting ratings are not everything, and are not particularly accurate at our level, unfortunately they do matter. Recruiting evaluations impact perception which impacts future recruiting and rankings, especially preseason rankings, which have an impact on rankings all year (see UCF's 2017 vs 2018 end of regular season rankings). While I agree they don't actually have much impact on our success on the field, we must acknowledge that the CFP world in this era is ruled by perception, not just on the field results.

I know this upsets people but recruit ratings do matter. They certainly are distorted by biases but everything else being equal(speed, lower body strength, work ethic, coaching/development, etc.), a 300lb lineman with 20% bodyfat and a 400lb bench press will always outrank a 250lb lineman with 35% bodyfat and a 300lb bench press. And these things aren't limited to just 5*s or the top 10%. Athleticism is normally distributed. A class that averages the top 11% will very likely out perform a class that averages the top 50%. If you want to classify them in their star groups, stats show that higher rated guys are more successful in college. Further, statistics show that a higher percentage of 4*s go to the NFL than 3*s. It's not that we should care about competing for stars or ratings but we should want the most elite guys out there and ratings are a really good place to start when evaluating them.

There's been a few things shifting the class average. For one, Delonus Kabir came off our list. I did notice last nigh that our class average on 247 went up to 83.6 but this morning it was down. Agree that they're factoring in the new guys hs rating. 247 needs to correct this and catch up with including the rivals ratings.

Reactions: shacket
It’s like the poll rankings - being highly ranked is not the best indication of a team’s ability to be successful...but ranking highly generates buzz.

It’s better for us to have top (whatever) classes, even if it doesn’t translate to the field. I know it’s BS but, unfortunately, it does matter somewhat for perception.

It only matters for perception and after about #20 or so the perception does not really matter. The top classes get the buzz. After that it really is people jerking each other off about nothing. To judge between a class at 40 and a class at 20 is essentially meaningless as the standards are really non-existent. t And the more that people nit pick over it the more credibility it is given. I understand it is fun to discuss but to give stars any weight as an evaluation of a program or staff like ours is without merit.

It only matters for perception and after about #20 or so the perception does not really matter. The top classes get the buzz. After that it really is people jerking each other off about nothing. To judge between a class at 40 and a class at 20 is essentially meaningless as the standards are really non-existent. t And the more that people nit pick over it the more credibility it is given. I understand it is fun to discuss but to give stars any weight as an evaluation of a program or staff like ours is without merit.
Our program has achieved a status as one of the best, if not the best, G5 football teams in the eyes of sports media. In order to maintain this status we should be continuing to recruit at the top of the G5. This matters for NY6 bowls and P5 conference invites.

The sky is not falling, the program is not failing, everything is fine. I just want to see the recruiting rankings placing UCF at or near the top of the G5. No it is not a top 3 most important thing for the program, however, it does matter. That is all.

IMO, the top 20 ranked classes mean something significant in terms of being stacked with the elite blue chip athletes.......definitely an advantage year in and year out when competing in the top 10 ..... player development is not as critical.........after that the middle of the pack really doesn't matter as much as player development does. Clearly we are middle of the pack in terms of recruiting and where exactly we fall probably doesn't mean didly shit in terms of our ability to consistently hit our glass ceiling

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Our program has achieved a status as one of the best, if not the best, G5 football teams in the eyes of sports media. In order to maintain this status we should be continuing to recruit at the top of the G5. This matters for NY6 bowls and P5 conference invites.

The sky is not falling, the program is not failing, everything is fine. I just want to see the recruiting rankings placing UCF at or near the top of the G5. No it is not a top 3 most important thing for the program, however, it does matter. That is all.
Our class was #3 in G5 last night. Now it’s #4. And it’s not complete.

IMO, the top 20 ranked classes mean something significant in terms of being stacked with the elite blue chip athletes.......definitely an advantage year in and year out when competing in the top 10 ..... player development is not as critical.........after that the middle of the pack really doesn't matter as much as player development does. Clearly we are middle of the pack in terms of recruiting and where exactly we fall probably doesn't mean didly shit in terms of our ability to consistently hit our glass ceiling

Or we aren't middle of the pack in recruiting. The ranking system just automatically downgrades our recruits so they can keep saying we dont belong.

Reactions: shacket
I'm beginning to think this "perception" thing (in the eyes of future recruits) is complete garbage. I've heard the Baylor bowl win would make a big difference, the year we had our best class would make a difference (QB never played, LB left after 1 year), the undefeated year..., the year with only 1 loss..... And yet, we're here talking about the same damn thing, mediocre classes. I'm beginning to think "perception" matters perhaps 2%, to a prospect, that is unless you have 100 years of perception.

Reactions: Wings0fred
I'm beginning to think this "perception" thing (in the eyes of future recruits) is complete garbage. I've heard the Baylor bowl win would make a big difference, the year we had our best class would make a difference (QB never played, LB left after 1 year), the undefeated year..., the year with only 1 loss..... And yet, we're here talking about the same damn thing, mediocre classes. I'm beginning to think "perception" matters perhaps 2%, to a prospect, that is unless you have 100 years of perception.
It’s all about the bagmen, and ours aren’t doing their job

Our class was #3 in G5 last night. Now it’s #4. And it’s not complete.
Fair enough. We are also benefitting from a down year of recruiting at Boise, and a coaching change at Memphis. 3 teams from our conference are ahead of us including Cinci with fewer commits. TBH I think ECU and Tulane primarily just have numbers on us for the 2020 class. Once again, the sky is not falling, but I dont like seeing sketchy shit happen to UCF recruiting rankings.

Exactly, these things take decades to change, think about how long UM, UF, and FSU have been around..And in today's day with how much fame and money a professional player can make, optimally choosing a University to play is of utmust importance to a HS player

We established that top status not by high recruiting rankings but by player development. We need to maintain it the same way. There is a glass ceiling for us when it comes to recruiting. Besides, comparing G5 recruiting rankings is like comparison shopping for used Camrys. They are all pretty much similar, same price, same options, you just don't know which is better until you buy one and drive it for a while. Sure you would like to buy a new Lexus, but as long as we are G5 that is not going to happen. Because some service says that the top G5 class is 1088 points and UCF is 1050 points based upon players most of which really have never scouted or evaluated.

We established that top status not by high recruiting rankings but by player development. We need to maintain it the same way. There is a glass ceiling for us when it comes to recruiting. Besides, comparing G5 recruiting rankings is like comparison shopping for used Camrys. They are all pretty much similar, same price, same options, you just don't know which is better until you buy one and drive it for a while. Sure you would like to buy a new Lexus, but as long as we are G5 that is not going to happen. Because some service says that the top G5 class is 1088 points and UCF is 1050 points based upon players most of which really have never scouted or evaluated.
I am sorry but recruiting absolutely contributed to our recent success. Yes it isnt just based on the rankings and utilizing and developing underrated developmental prospects are where UCF has shown itself to be elite, but the recruits totally matter and it is not like you just plug in any upper G5 recruiting class into our program and get the results we have seen the last few years, not buying it.

Separately, once again I am not saying there is dramatic failure here or that things are really bad on the recruiting front, it would just be nice to see forward rather than backward progress compared to the last few years. Particularly in terms of bullshit rating service trickery, I want us to be rated fairly for reasons I mentioned above.

I am sorry but recruiting absolutely contributed to our recent success. Yes it isnt just based on the rankings and utilizing and developing underrated developmental prospects are where UCF has shown itself to be elite, but the recruits totally matter and it is not like you just plug in any upper G5 recruiting class into our program and get the results we have seen the last few years, not buying it.

Separately, once again I am not saying there is dramatic failure here or that things are really bad on the recruiting front, it would just be nice to see forward rather than backward progress compared to the last few years. Particularly in terms of bullshit rating service trickery, I want us to be rated fairly for reasons I mentioned above.
We dropped 8 spots due to essentially a software glitch. Look at the offers and not just a decimal rating. We have some studs in this class.

We dropped 8 spots due to essentially a software glitch. Look at the offers and not just a decimal rating. We have some studs in this class.
Agree. That is part of the problem I am talking about. If you look at the offer lists of our 3 most recently signed DBs, they are very underrated by the system even compared to our other recruits. Brown and Hodges particularly have nice offer sheets and shitty 247 rankings. Hence my bitching about the conspiracy against us in recruiting perception. I acknowledge it does not have much impact on our on the field play, please stop arguing the straw man. Nowhere do I say our recruiting is bad I just want the program to be fairly recognized because it does matter to some degree.

We are also benefitting from a down year of recruiting at Boise, and a coaching change at Memphis.

Really? who potentially flipped from either school to UCF?

Last edited:
Really? who potentially flipped from either school to UCF?
I meant in terms of relative rankings not in direct recruit flips. Was in response to somebody saying we are #4 ranked G5 in recruiting this year. I could be wrong but I don't think Memphis or Boise have much recruiting territory crossover with us. Last year they both recruited much better though and I think both of their 2019 classes would outrank our 2020 class, definitely the case for Boise.

Were really reaching if now we are bitching that our class doesn’t outrank other teams classes from previous years. In legit ranking we are 2nd in G5 and there is still work to do.

Were really reaching if now we are bitching that our class doesn’t outrank other teams classes from previous years. In legit ranking we are 2nd in G5 and there is still work to do.
Ok so when I said that our G5 ranking this year is benefitting from poor recruiting at Boise and few recruits/coaching change at Memphis, how is that wrong? Overall our metrics are notably lower this year and several other G5 programs being down in the same metrics has helped our relative position. Candidly I don't think there is much difference in the quality of our recruits vs the last few years and I want to see that reflected in the rankings. I am definitely not reaching for anything or trying to bitch about the program. I just made the OP because it seems sketchy how our ranking was administered with the latest recruit.

Regarding us being the #2 "legit" ranking, what do you mean? On 247 composite it looks like if you go by total composite we are #4 in our conference, if you go by average recruit ranking, we are also #4, lower than Memphis, Cincy, & Houston so I really don't get it. Do you mean just 247 rankings not composite?

Or we aren't middle of the pack in recruiting. The ranking system just automatically downgrades our recruits so they can keep saying we dont belong.

There is a very significant drop off after the top 20........If you read my post basically if you aren't top 20 you are middle of the pack or worse....... Regardless of the inherent ranking flaws you are delusional if you think we are top 20 in recruiting.......

What do Mike Hughes*, Tre Nixon and this year's Jaylen Richardson all have in common?

All were 4 star transfers to UCF that were NOT counted in UCF's recruiting rankings (transfers are NOT included in recruiting rankings) but had, have and will soon have HUGE impact to UCF's on-the-field success.

Key transfers now matter even more, especially since more high profile recruits are transferring out at a record pace.

Ironically, even a transfer does not guarantee success at their next stop (i.e. see 4 star Brandon Wimbush), which is the same for virtually any HS recruit (success not guaranteed, regardless of their rating).

NOTE: While Hughes got kicked out of UNC (where he started as a True Freshmen) to go to a JUCO, since he committed/enrolled at UCF in mid-August, UCF didn't get recruiting class credit.

Recruiting does contribute to our success but recruiting rankings do not. In the AAC alone our rankings leading up to 2017 were 6th (#70), 4th (#73), 3rd (#64), and 2nd (#57). those are the guys who got us here. Guess who was higher in rankings 3-4 years? USF.

You can plug in pretty much most any upper G5 program rating ranking and it would not change anything. They are getting the same type rated recruits. Every now and then someone lands a 4 star or two, including us. But generally we all feed on 3 and 2 star rated recruits. The difference in ratings is negligible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT