ADVERTISEMENT

New season, New expectations?

Knightrogen

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2007
Could this season be the first for us to go to the dance since we moved to CUSA?

My expectation is that we go top 4 in conference play and top 50 RPI, giving us an at large bid.

This could be the year! What's your expectation?
This post was edited on 10/5 12:33 AM by Knightrogen

According to GOL, nonconference play is just preseason.
I bet that we will go undefeated in Preseason again.
That means FSU and possbily UConn.
smilie2.gif

Originally posted by Knightrogen:
Could this season be the first for us to go to the dance since we moved to CUSA?

My expectation is that we go top 4 in conference play and top 50 RPI, giving us an at large bid.

I would take that in a heart beat but as you noted, conf games will hold the key to UCF's post-season dreams.

Last year, UCF struggled in CUSA play and finished 6-10 during the regular season and one and done in CUSA Tourn.

Even finishnig at .500 or better in conf play will be a big improvement, especially winning at home...as UCF went just 4-4 at home last season (2 blown losses to Rice and ECU in particular).

Win at home (go at least 6-2) and steal a game or two on the road (like UCF did at UTEP in the matinee make-up game last year), and earn a Top 4 seed in CUSA Tourn...then WIN a game or two IN the tourny.

Memphis is loaded...really loaded...as all those young players are back and most won't make Freshmen mistakes this season...but I think spots 2 through 5 are up for grabs.

Game 3 of the season (at FSU) will be a big one...as that will obviously be the first major test for the team...plus the Thanksgiving Tourn (potential rematch vs FSU in that one too) will help exposure UCF's current strengths and weaknesses.

No clue how fast Spurlock will fit in the system and gain confidence in real games...but when he explodes...it will certainly be fun to watch.

Memphis is going to be loaded. I think only two teams from C-USA will make the dance.... You guys will definitely have a shot at the 2nd spot but you gotta play much better in conf. and win a game or two in the tourney and since DJ is a terrible tourney coach you could be in trouble. Maybe i'm a little biased but I like Marshall's chances if we can stay healthy. Either way I can't wait for basketball season.

Unfortunately for you, it will be very very difficult to achieve a top 50 RPI with your OOC schedule, and therefore an at large bid to the dance. We are very familiar with having 20+ win seasons with a cupcake of an OOC schedule. It results in having a good looking record, but disappointment for the fan base as the selection committees are not fooled by Donnie's smoke screens. You all would be a legit contender for NCAA or NIT if you had a coach with some balls who was willing to schedule tougher and one who could actually coach in a tight game. UCF would be much more dangerous because of its talent, facilities, etc if Donnie wasn't at the helm being out-coached night in and night out. For those of you that haven't already had this realization, trust me- you will after this season. You guys have as much talent as us or Memphis, but you won't be a legitimate threat until you get an X's and O's guy in there.

Here is Andy Katz's breakdown of C-USA's OOC schedules.

stinky linky

Originally posted by HERDthat10:
You guys have as much talent as us or Memphis...

I realize you are just trying to bash Donnie Jones in the entirety of your post, but your statement above shows how little know you about CUSA Basketball.

While I still think UCF can BEAT Memphis (its a team game and top players do have bad games and good players have great games), just based on pure talent, its not even close.
I guess you still aren't over Donnie dumping your school for another one in CUSA.
This post was edited on 10/5 5:20 PM by Knight_Light

Originally posted by Knightrogen:

I HOPE that we make an appearance in the Top 25, the Conference Championship game, and the Big Dance, but the only thing I'm expecting is to have a helluva great time at UCF basketball games this season. Anything more than that at this point in the progression of the program is setting yourself up for a lot of unecessary anger.

I couldn't be happier about Tom Herrion being our head coach. Its something we haven't had in a long time- a coach. You'll see I know plenty about C-USA basketball when we paste UCF by double digit points both times we play this year. Hopefully you'll remember me comparing our talent level (not to mention our ridiculous depth) to Memphis when you look at the final score with disappointment. Our first three guys off the bench this year have a combined 8 years of starting experience. If you had more knowledge of C-USA basketball you would understand the validity of my statement rather than dismissing it. Furthermore, if you had any knowledge of college basketball in general you would know your bullshit, cupcake OOC schedule is just that and isn't doing your program any good. I repeat, I'm glad DJ is gone, but I will admit making fun of him is enjoyable. Herrion has taken us to a new level, so thanks for taking DJ and his scheduling shenanigans out of our hands
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I repeat, I'm glad DJ is gone, but I will admit making fun of him is enjoyable.

You are sooooo happy...that for some strange reason, you go visit the same fan message board of the program he transferred to.

Sounds like you miss him.

Hey, every once in a while i get very bored at work.... and because of that boredom the last couple days I've made it to about every C-USA message board to see what the other fans have to say about their squads. the only message board I posted on, however, was this board. No, don't feel special. The reason I posted is because the OP for this thread is the most ridiculous one I have seen across C-USA boards. Yes, I'm very happy that DJ is no longer a part of this program. Why? If DJ was still our coach, I wouldn't be able to say our team is has a good of a chance winning the conference as Memphis this year. I know you think I'm crazy and have "no knowledge of C-USA bball" for making this comparison....

So, let's hear what Josh Pastner has to say about the talent level at Marshall in comparison to Memphis.....

"They have all the ingredients to be a Top-25 team. I don't think there's any question they're the favorite in Conference USA," - Memphis coach Josh Pastner on Marshall.

once again... "I don't think there's any questions they're the favorite..."

This post was edited on 10/6 11:12 AM by HERDthat10
This post was edited on 10/6 11:13 AM by HERDthat10

click me fool

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

I repeat, I'm glad DJ is gone, but I will admit making fun of him is enjoyable.

You are sooooo happy...that for some strange reason, you go visit the same fan message board of the program he transferred to.

Sounds like you miss him.

I hated UCF well before DJ jumped ship and will hate them long after he's jumped ship on you guys for a marginally better program. Yes, what he did adds to the rivalry but I hate UCF thats why i post here.

But why?

But why hate UCF?

Is it because we take our cousins to Disney World and you take your cousins to bed?

I like the Marshall rivalry. They are always close games against you guys. Although Memphis has more talent on paper, i will take you guys as the favorite to win CUSA. Experience is important. YOu guys were clearly the best team in CUSA at the end of the year.

Let's take Memphis out the the crown!

Why would anyone say we finish 4th in conference and get an at large bid? Not in CUSA. Over last 5 years weve only had 7 total teams represented in NCAA. So 2 years we had 2 teams and the others only 1.Also dont think we got a whole lot better than last year and dont have a real center. Any team with a legit center will own us. Maybe we get NIT if we do better in CUSA but dont see NCAA birth unless by miracle we can win tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT