ADVERTISEMENT

New to Forum - possible new coaches

OU2SpaceCoast

High School Harry
Jan 2, 2020
I have been visiting this site on and off for last three years. I am a graduate of the University of Oklahoma, and moved to Florida's space coast in 2016 to pursue a new career opportunity. I attended OU from 1999-2005. I first started to pay attention to UCF under Frost, as I have a few coworkers who are UCF alumns & have attended 4 games over the past 3 years with a couple of these coworkers. During my time at OU I made a very good friend who happens to also be very good friends with Josh Huepel (as well as recently departed Jon Cooper & Jeff Lebby). I have met Josh on quite a few occasions, and though he probably wouldn't recognize or remember me, I have followed UCF closer since he was hired as some of my best memories are from his 2000 National Championship season.

Over the holidays my friend did mention a few names that Coach Huepel has at least had conversations with regarding coaching vacancies. He is sure there are others Huepel has spoken with & he doesn't have any details as to how serious or advanced the conversations with these individuals are Or exact position they were being contacted for. A few of these names I am familiar with & many I am not. Here are names mentioned:

Brody Eldredge (former Sooner C/TE, played in NFL)
possibility of promotion for Joey Halzle (currently on staff at UCF)
Cleo Lemon
Steve Spurrier, JR
Chase Holbrook
JaMarcus Shepard
Willie Simmons

Also as fate will have it, I will somewhat be joining the Knight family, as I will be completing my masters program through UCF online.

Forgot to add, feel free to give me crap about the Sooners and LSU (or in the CFB playoffs in general) we deserve it. And no I will not try to defend the Big 12 except to say that much like the AAC the Big 12 has seen an upgrade in coaching over last couple years. Hopefully that will lead to increase in overall talent & level of defensive play

Last edited:
Born and raised in Tulsa Oklahoma. I have very fond memories of that 2000 season and still have my Heupel Jersey.... so I was thrilled when we hired him as it brought my favorite teams together.

Anyway. Thanks for the tidbits there and welcome

(welcome to the fun) Steve Spurrier, JR is able to throw his visor 15 yards when he is mad? Just wondering if he is a protege of his father. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Do you think Lincoln Riley takes the Cowboys job if offered

And then, will OU come calling for a Heupel? They did him dirty back when he was OC. I would tell them to go pound sand, but the $$$ that will be thrown around will be ridiculous.

Welcome. Feel free to say whatever you want. It's just a forum. We appreciate all insights and prognostication. I think there is a balance of good conversation on here to go with the silliness.....and I am a major contributor to the latter.

What I like most is people finding facts and stats to back up their points, unlike a lot of the media and pundits out there. I like facts. Who doesn't like facts?

Reactions: Yaes and ahabmw

I don't think he gets offered but if he does I think it will truly be a gut wrenching decision for him. From a couple people somewhat connected to current staff I have been told that Riley will stay awhile in Norman & while interested in the NFL, it isn't what he wants right now. I think it's a tough decision because Lincoln is a Texas native who grew up a Cowboys fan & JJ could throw ridiculous money at LR if determined to get him.

Don't think Josh would be on OU's list. My understanding is Josh has lots of fond memories & great friends at OU, but there is still a strained relationship with Bob Stoops & current AD Castiglione. Not a bad relationship but don't think either side there now. If JH puts together 3-5 more years of success especially with "his" players then I could see a reunion

Reactions: Endeavor.
Until Jerry Jones lets the HC be the HC, he won’t get a top tier coach to come. He wants to control team from press box and the players don’t respect the coaches because they only have to impress Jerry. No one else.

That ass whipping OU took in the semi’s took Riley off that list.

Opposite...as Riley knows OU will probably never have a defense to challenge to win a playoff game, let alone a championship game...so he might be looking to jump ship now.

Remember, College AD's and now NFL GM's/Owners are looking to hire HC's with their OWN offense (don't have to rely on the HC "finding" an OC every other year to run their own systems they would bring) so coaches like Kliff Kingsbury, who failed at college too because he could never get a defense, took the major $$$ to go to the NFL.

Opposite...as Riley knows OU will probably never have a defense to challenge to win a playoff game, let alone a championship game...so he might be looking to jump ship now.

Remember, College AD's and now NFL GM's/Owners are looking to hire HC's with their OWN offense (don't have to rely on the HC "finding" an OC every other year to run their own systems they would bring) so coaches like Kliff Kingsbury, who failed at college too because he could never get a defense, took the major $$$ to go to the NFL.
And being a College Football HC is more of a 12 month grind. Dealing w recruiting burns coaches out

I don't think he gets offered but if he does I think it will truly be a gut wrenching decision for him. From a couple people somewhat connected to current staff I have been told that Riley will stay awhile in Norman & while interested in the NFL, it isn't what he wants right now. I think it's a tough decision because Lincoln is a Texas native who grew up a Cowboys fan & JJ could throw ridiculous money at LR if determined to get him.

Don't think Josh would be on OU's list. My understanding is Josh has lots of fond memories & great friends at OU, but there is still a strained relationship with Bob Stoops & current AD Castiglione. Not a bad relationship but don't think either side there now. If JH puts together 3-5 more years of success especially with "his" players then I could see a reunion
Sounds like there is mutual interest. Kind of surprised because Riley seems like more of a college coach than a pro coach.

And being a College Football HC is more of a 12 month grind. Dealing w recruiting burns coaches out

True...and for usually less pay...however, programs like OU, Ohio State, etc...those HC know they only have 3-5 tough regular season games to worry about most years...whereas the NFL games are much more difficult to win...because you can't just dominate recruiting in college because the NFL has a draft...where all 32 teams are slotted.

So while College programs are a much more 12 month admin/coach job...there are trade-offs (almost guaranteed to win 8-11 games a year at many top programs).

I’m pretty sure NFL coach is just as demanding. I’ve heard of a few coaches that sleep in office because they are doing coaching duties 18 hours a day.

I’m pretty sure NFL coach is just as demanding. I’ve heard of a few coaches that sleep in office because they are doing coaching duties 18 hours a day.

But the NFL really has reduced off-season practice and heck, even IN-season practice and unlike in college, where the HC is usually the final say in building his squad...NFL has a GM and scores more scouts/analyst compared to most college teams...so HC "work" is somewhat reduced at the NFL level.

Again...NFL coaches earn their pay in the LONG 16 game regular season where most games are difficult to win...unlike that at some of the top college programs that have soooo much built in advantages.

during the season. College coaches have to immediately recruit and kiss 18 year old ass when the season ends

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT