ADVERTISEMENT

News to me

back in the day you couldn’t write a check or use a debit or credit card w/o valid photo ID (at least those were the rules). Can’t remember the last time I was asked for an ID in a retail situation. Mostly paperless with better security = no ID rules anymore?

You do if your cart contains beer. Or if you’re paying with a CC.

There WERE quite a few places recently that started asking for ID when using a credit card, in addition to the last 4 numbers on the card.

I believe a recent rule went into effect where this is no longer necessary due to stronger security measures.

There WERE quite a few places recently that started asking for ID when using a credit card, in addition to the last 4 numbers on the card.

I believe a recent rule went into effect where this is no longer necessary due to stronger security measures.

My local Publix and Target both still ask for valid ID when paying with a card. I was just at Macy's in Westshore Mall and they required ID + last 4 digits after I swiped.

More lies from Trump, not even shocked anymore. Is it really too much to ask the most powerful man in the world to tell the truth? Dementia.

Reactions: bluechip12
I allow my granddaughter use one of my credit cards from time to time. I'd sure be a lot better off if stores DID require photo IDs. :)

Yep, he's a baffoon. Of course when the US media says something similar, people stand by the 1st Amendment.

Like getting things 100% wrong on guns, immigration and other things.

These past 18 months have taught me that the only people as stupid as Trump ... are those talking heads in the US media that also don't care for civics, physics and truth.

Hell, I write "See ID" on the back of my cards. 1/10 ask to see it.
And they should decline to process your card if you write that. Because in all likelihood, the agreement on your card says not valid unless signed.

back in the day you couldn’t write a check or use a debit or credit card w/o valid photo ID (at least those were the rules). Can’t remember the last time I was asked for an ID in a retail situation. Mostly paperless with better security = no ID rules anymore?

Used to be very common. With Debit n Credit cards not really needed anymore. My wife and I used to write SEE ID on back of credit card rather than sign. In reality CC and Debit cards have became the ID.

Hell, I write "See ID" on the back of my cards. 1/10 ask to see it.
Same here. And I've long worked in and out of financial services.

Of course I don't use bank apps on my phone, but that's another discussion.

Same here. And I've long worked in and out of financial services.

Of course I don't use bank apps on my phone, but that's another discussion.
Read the back of your card. It says not valid unless signed.

It'd be better if places DID ask for ID as a routine function. This is how thieves profit by skimming cards at gas stations and making their own cards, hoping no one ever asks for ID.

It'd be better if places DID ask for ID as a routine function. This is how thieves profit by skimming cards at gas stations and making their own cards, hoping no one ever asks for ID.
MasterCard and Visa prohibit vendors from requiring ID but allow them to ask for ID as long as they accept the card if you refuse to provide ID. If the card is unsigned, even if you put “See ID” on it, they are supposed to make you sign it and show a government issued ID before they accept it. The problem is most vendors are either lazy and don’t look at the back or have policies to not look at the back of the amount is small.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/can-retailers-ask-id-with-credit_card-1282.php

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT