ADVERTISEMENT

NFL QB Contracts

Bob the Citronaut

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2007
So discuss. Are NFL teams overpaying decent to good QBs or underpaying elite QBs? I think we'll find out the real new number when Luck gets his contract but judging by the contracts being handed out the last couple years and the new cap he should be close to $30 mil per year.

Cutler, Flacco, Newton, Tannehill, Kaepernick, Romo, soon to be Wilson (2 rings, no MVPs) are all making the same as Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Cheeseburger, Brees (9 rings, 9 MVPs).

I feel like the model in the NFL for QB's is now:

1.) Have they won you a few games?
2.) Can they manage a game?
3.) Do you have any better options currently?

Depending on the answers to these questions, NFL teams will pay up. I think they are overpaying for all these guys as none are going to win you a Super Bowl (yes I know Flacco and Wilson have won Super Bowls), but the only reason they are getting paid is they mostly won't be the way you lose games along the way. None are or will be a part of the elite group. Some will win Super Bowls, but like I said, they won't be the reason the team wins, just not the reason the team loses.

tannehill ranks as ~top 15 and he got ~top 15 money...the deal is, you cant pay brady or manning or rodgers more money that they deserve, because you hamstring your teams salary cap (see ravens paying flacco)...as long as that cap is there (which there needs to be) there will be an absolute ceiling...

If you don't pay them then what?

You pay them less or let them walk. The $10-15m range. These teams are just throwing away money for QBs with .500/losing records. It absolutely insane the value teams are putting on QBs. A QB doesn't become elite because you pay them that way. Good for these guys that they're getting the money but these GMs/owners are stupid.

You do realize that most all of these contracts feature money on paper only, right? The majority of these "monster" contracts will never actually be paid since the NFL allows an absurd amount of unguaranteed money to be included in contracts.

It's not like baseball where mega contracts WILL yield huge annual paydays for the players in the form of guaranteed money.

Newton actually had one of the higher guaranteed percentages I've seen recently, and yet still, only 55% of his contract is in the form of actual guaranteed money. Mostly due to the monster signing bonus and roster bonus he gets this year.

To be more accurate, the headline should read "Newton gets $60M contract with options".

Cutler got 50-60 guaranteed. Romo did too. It's not just Newton. And they may not have to pay the money but they're still going to take massive cap hits if they do end up cutting them.

You do realize that most all of these contracts feature money on paper only, right? The majority of these "monster" contracts will never actually be paid since the NFL allows an absurd amount of unguaranteed money to be included in contracts.

It's not like baseball where mega contracts WILL yield huge annual paydays for the players in the form of guaranteed money.

Newton actually had one of the higher guaranteed percentages I've seen recently, and yet still, only 55% of his contract is in the form of actual guaranteed money. Mostly due to the monster signing bonus and roster bonus he gets this year.

To be more accurate, the headline should read "Newton gets $60M contract with options".
correct, they allow unguaranteed money contracts but teams are giving them guaranteed money, see the bears

All I want is an NFL scoreboard at BHNS. Paid for by UCF alumni in the NFL. Bortles will be able to "give back" when he signs 80 million dollar guaranteed contract in a couple years.

I just want to see Dak get his $45/million per year, fully guaranteed

ADVERTISEMENT