ADVERTISEMENT

Nice Payday for Bortles

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-be-jaguars-qb-in-2018-despite-wrist-injury

His 19 million is guaranteed now that he's had wrist surgery :) and why not especially if a team might screw you over; get the surgery. He probably wont pass a medical exam until April, earliest.

Turns out the Jags are smart enough to realize they need to continue to upgrade team in other areas as bidding war for Cousins is NOT in their best interest. Also, Eli wants to stay in N.Y.

It's not actually guaranteed until he is on the roster 3/14. Our team physician said he should be able to pass a physical before then since this was just a "clean-up" procedure so the door is potentially still open for release but everyone in Jax is assuming he will be the guy

Cousins probably goes to Browns or Broncos if I had to guess. Wonder if Jags draft a QB possiblybin 3rd or 4th and hope they can groom him for a year or 2.

I believe there are some similarities between Bortles and Eli. Both can play QB position well with a team around them. The Jags did really well with all the injuries they had to their receivers this year. Imagine if they had Robinson back and another top notch receiver on offense. This would bode well for a QB like Bortles.

I agree, Bortles gets a bad rap. The difference between the supposed great QB's is that their receivers catch all their catchable balls. Jacksonville is in need of a little more talent an depth at that position.

Reactions: 80'sKnight
I agree, Bortles gets a bad rap. The difference between the supposed great QB's is that their receivers catch all their catchable balls. Jacksonville is in need of a little more talent an depth at that position.
I defended Bortles for nearly 3 years. Then the year I finally 'give up' on him, he has a great one.

We'll see what happens long-term.

Good deal for all.

Blake stays on a team with a great D and has one of the best young RB's...plus the Jags basically locked him up for another 2 years for just an extra $7.5 Million which is PEANUTS.

Also, Jags can now spread out the $26.5 Million guarantee over 3 years of cap space (appro $9 Million per year) vs the $19 Million cap hit they were going to take this year (2018) but can now use that extra $9 Million - $10 Million to help lock up Robinson and/or have a few extra $$$ to sign some key veterans.

Smart move all around....and if Jags want to move on from Blake in 2019 or 2020...they can and won't take a huge cap hit with him and/or trade him to another team with his cap friendly contract. (In 2020...Blake's contract will probably be around 25th or 26th "highest" of NFL QB's and if he is performing well, that is a steal for the Jags.

The "average" Super Bowl winning QB Salary Cap hit (total percentage of team's cap) is 6.9% but look at all of these teams that spend WAY over that and some don't even make the playoffs. (Blake's QB Cap % will go down to just 4.86% for 2018 with this new deal....leaving Jags plenty of $$ to use in other positions)

2017cap.png

Bortles is on his way to joining the > 50 Mil club on net worth.com

I don't know for a fact but I believe he's made a lot of sacrifices to get where he is including staying away from ditsy babes (big sacrifice with major financial rewards down the line).

Can someone ask me to take sacrifices and take one for the team for $26 million guaranteed? :grimace:

Bottom line is that he has will have made at least 58-60 million when all is said and done

If he is a complete bum from here on out and become a pick 6 machine, drunk, party animal, bimbo magnet, man whore, 0-16 for 2 years straight, blows out his knees, etc., who gives a crap

You live one life and his is set. They say money doesn’t buy you happiness. Those haters have never had 50 million plus.

A savings of 2-5 million for the average Joe in a lifetime is a nice chunk of change to retire with

Last edited:
I defended Bortles for nearly 3 years. Then the year I finally 'give up' on him, he has a great one.

We'll see what happens long-term.
I called him a bum for 2 1/2 years, but i was still a fan and have his Jersey with all my UCF pins on it. He’s still not lighting it up, but he is a game manager, cut down on his picks, is a very smart and effective runner, and is tough. Most of all, he’s a positive and good teammate. He’s not a quitter despite all the haters and hate

I called him a bum for 2 1/2 years, but i was still a fan and have his Jersey with all my UCF pins on it. He’s still not lighting it up, but he is a game manager, cut down on his picks, is a very smart and effective runner, and is tough. Most of all, he’s a positive and good teammate. He’s not a quitter despite all the haters and hate

I agree with everything you said but I still think he has too long of a throwing motion, especially on shorter passes. Quicker releases will reduce his batted down passes. His foot work sometimes is still a little lazy. He did improve this year at going through his receiver reads. I hope he just keeps watching film of Tom Brady's throwing motion and keeps improving. Financially he is set for life. Now he just needs to play to be the best he can be.

Reactions: UCFBS and Mikesi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT