ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban and Kirby Smart on UCF

Good for them. Exactly right. Funny how they aren't as triggered by it as so many others out there defending a flawed system that no one actually believes in unless it is lining their pockets.

Reactions: UCFBS and coffeyucf
Saban having to walk a tight rope on that response. Alabama had already been played off of any, even halfway legitimate, "playoff" not big enough to support every confidence champion.

Looks like UCF is on the lips of a lot people
BlcnZHrCEAEyMYD.jpg

Here is a perfect example of how much of a hot button our national championship is. These links came up in my news feed side by side. Even the press is split on the interpretation of the Saban/Smart comments.

d7h37UQ.png&hash=e96b5c4292e24a479d6d394638cbe9b9

Reactions: Mikesi
Its awesome that the coaches are NOT shills for the "company line" as I expected. Its really one of our strongest endorsements.

Because the coaches know football. And they know what they’d be up against if they had to play us. Some of them may be playing us next year. If we go 13-0 again, I guarantee out opposition will dismiss us in public and mess their britches in private.

Honestly, I don't think most coaches care for the way it all plays out now because as many years as they get in, there are as many years they are on the outside looking in but know thier team could hang with anybody on any given week. Most aren't business people either. They are coaches obsessed with thier program and how they can make it better....period. They let others deal with the business side of the sport.

I mean, given a choice of being the Have's or Have Nots, coaches will choose the Haves 99% of the time. They just want to win. Look at Frost, he's leaving a Championship caliber program because the pay is better, and the access to players is supposidly better.

I just don't think a lot of coaches really understand how lopsided the bias is. Frost, like most people that have been tied to P5 programs for a while, probably laugh off the bias talk, until he had a really good team staring him in the face, and when it got no respect it finally set it....this system is whack!

He finally got to walk in the other guys shoes for a while.

This fight has to be made by all the non-P5 programs/leagues. I don't know what it will take to get some concrete changes made but someone, (or many) are going to have to get "bloodied" to make a point. I'm not the kind of person who thinks life has to be fair to everybody or everything but what I do believe in is the opportunity to succeed or fail. I think that no longer exists for teams outside the P5.

Honestly, I don't think most coaches care for the way it all plays out now because as many years as they get in, there are as many years they are on the outside looking in but know thier team could hang with anybody on any given week. Most aren't business people either. They are coaches obsessed with thier program and how they can make it better....period. They let others deal with the business side of the sport.

I mean, given a choice of being the Have's or Have Nots, coaches will choose the Haves 99% of the time. They just want to win. Look at Frost, he's leaving a Championship caliber program because the pay is better, and the access to players is supposidly better.

I just don't think a lot of coaches really understand how lopsided the bias is. Frost, like most people that have been tied to P5 programs for a while, probably laugh off the bias talk, until he had a really good team staring him in the face, and when it got no respect it finally set it....this system is whack!

He finally got to walk in the other guys shoes for a while.

This fight has to be made by all the non-P5 programs/leagues. I don't know what it will take to get some concrete changes made but someone, (or many) are going to have to get "bloodied" to make a point. I'm not the kind of person who thinks life has to be fair to everybody or everything but what I do believe in is the opportunity to succeed or fail. I think that no longer exists for teams outside the P5.

I agree how can the Big 10 be happy how this year played out? They battled it out in a competitive conference and it cost them the playoffs. :sunglasses:

Well I for one don't mind the Winner of the Ga/Al game calling themselves national champs, just not sole champs. After all they will have won the NIT title. but didn't run the table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT