ADVERTISEMENT

Nike Ad Backfires

I like the Griffin ad. It's inspiring. Nike knew what they were doing with Kaep ad. People are talking and choosing sides based on their own self perceptions. Niie is getting the attention they wanted. It's smart.

I can respect what Kaep did. He stuck with it. I don't think he was an above average QB, but he would still be in the league if he had not knelt. He would probably be roaming around like RG3.

I can also respect the other side, although I think they are going a little overboard on a football player kneeling. In the grand scheme of things it's not that important and now you have no shoes.

I'm a New Balance guy. Not the extra wide white dad shoes, but the flat ones with the vibram soles. Thise may be the perfect exercise shoe.

I like the Griffin ad. It's inspiring. Nike knew what they were doing with Kaep ad. People are talking and choosing sides based on their own self perceptions. Niie is getting the attention they wanted. It's smart.

I can respect what Kaep did. He stuck with it. I don't think he was an above average QB, but he would still be in the league if he had not knelt. He would probably be roaming around like RG3.

I can also respect the other side, although I think they are going a little overboard on a football player kneeling. In the grand scheme of things it's not that important and now you have no shoes.

I'm a New Balance guy. Not the extra wide white dad shoes, but the flat ones with the vibram soles. Thise may be the perfect exercise shoe.
Did you see his stats his last few seasons? Very average. His win-loss was horrible but it's a team sport and I recall them having a ton of injuries, and guys retiring early, so that doesn't go on him. I can see why nobody wanted to touch him, on top of the drama. Anyways, Elway says they offered him a contract at some point (might have been before his last season at SF) but the numbers couldn't be worked out to his satisfaction so he said "No". When you say "No" you may never get the opportunity again. When you are in an industry as hard as the NFL is to even be in, I would take the millions put in front of me and worry about being "disrespected" later in life, as I count all the zeros at the end of my brokerage and bank accounts, and make sure my family is generationally taken care of.

That said, I could really care less if players kneel or stand. If I'm at a game, I doubt I can see them, and I'm to busy singing to care about what they are doing, and if I am watching on TV I rarely ever turn on a game until play has started. If play hasn't started, I'm probably watching something else until kickoff happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfversusbcs
I pretty much hated the NFL before sit stand ,kneel thing and didn't watch it much except the super bowl. I love college football for a lot of reasons. I do think Nike made a freakish business decision. There are a ton of people who are turned off by the knerling stuff. Why alienate them? Their duty is to their shareholders not to a cause especially one where things are so political.

Funny how they want to make Kaepernick out as some urban martyr with him losing his NFL job and all, yet since when do martyrs get paid millions for pimping a product? How much did this guy really lose here? Ghandi he is not. Hey, Nike, I will take a stand and throw my business away for $10 million to be a spokesperson for your gear! Lol.. what ever. I don't wear Nike shoes and the only Nike stuff I own has UCF on it and a bike jersey. I am not going to burn either but this campiagn doesn't really inspire to me to buy more, if anything it might motivate me to buy less.

Last edited:
Reactions: NU_FTW
Nike stock was in the 60s early this year. Does it tank that far with two hours to go? Its at 79.95 right now.

... Anyways, Elway says they offered him a contract at some point (might have been before his last season at SF) but the numbers couldn't be worked out to his satisfaction so he said "No" ...
^^^ THIS

I'm tired of people saying "no team will hire him." That is a lie.

Reality: "No team will hire him for the money he wants."

Frankly, I wish the Jags would have brought him in, and watched him be far worse than Bortles.

Because his 'timing' was not only suspect, but he was largely saved by the President 'making a big deal about it.' Before that, people were questioning his 'motive.'

Especially with how he was playing. He is the poster for the 'use PC for personal benefit' of the Millennials. And I've been defending most Millennials lately (strange, but I have the past year -- they have a bad rap because of some, like him).

Kneejerk reaction from the market. Nike isn't going anywhere just like the NFL isn't suddenly losing money. Things will be back to normal or higher soon. As someone stated, the people most offended by their ad are people who don't buy a lot of Nike gear anyway. Decisions like this are made by brilliant marketing teams who do their research. As opposed to say....I don't know...a single person who is the face of a company who goes rogue and runs his mouth like a nutcase.

Why would Jags want to bring on another QB with worse stats than Blake?
Yes, it's dumb, right?

But I was hoping they would, and K would get some time, and look like crap. And then Bortles would be the starter any way.

Too many pundits don't realize there are a heck of a lot worse QBs out there than Bortles -- especially in that system. K would be just another.

^^^ THIS

I'm tired of people saying "no team will hire him." That is a lie.

Reality: "No team will hire him for the money he wants."

Frankly, I wish the Jags would have brought him in, and watched him be far worse than Bortles.

Because his 'timing' was not only suspect, but he was largely saved by the President 'making a big deal about it.' Before that, people were questioning his 'motive.'

Especially with how he was playing. He is the poster for the 'use PC for personal benefit' of the Millennials. And I've been defending most Millennials lately (strange, but I have the past year -- they have a bad rap because of some, like him).

Elway was not truthful with that statement since he offered the opportunity with the Broncos before he started kneeling.

Also, all the shoe stocks (Adidas and Puma) are down between 2-3% today. I will try to buy if it gets to 76-78.

Elway was not truthful with that statement since he offered the opportunity with the Broncos before he started kneeling.
Did you miss the whole reality of other teams offering him? Several other players came out and said K had 'other issues' that kept him from taking offers.

In any case, "K" lost me when he wore "pig socks." Before that, I was neutral. I'm a huge Libertarian, believe in his right to free speech, would support him if I was a NFL owner ... but the guy has "other issues."

That's his problem. He literally thinks he deserves to be paid like a top 10 QB. He's had several offers post-kneeling now.

81764-Michael-Jordan-Quote-Republicans-buy-sneakers-too.jpg

Could not care less about Keaperdick, or whatever his name is, and Nike shoes are made to fit feet the shape of a 12 year old girl's foot so I don't wear them. Having said that, the only way I could have any respect for the Nike ad that features him is if he donated ALL the money to inner city youth organizations to help promote peace and curb gun violence. If he is getting paid then he is just capitalizing off of the controversy he created. Just my .02.

Reactions: NU_FTW
Did you miss the whole reality of other teams offering him? Several other players came out and said K had 'other issues' that kept him from taking offers.

In any case, "K" lost me when he wore "pig socks." Before that, I was neutral. I'm a huge Libertarian, believe in his right to free speech, would support him if I was a NFL owner ... but the guy has "other issues."

That's his problem. He literally thinks he deserves to be paid like a top 10 QB. He's had several offers post-kneeling now.

The only site I could find that reportedly says there was an NFL offer to Kaep after the kneeling began is the Daily Caller which is not the most trustworthy site. Can you share any sites that would support it?

I doubt it. Nike's target market isn't white males over 45. There might be a temporary hit on stocks because of fear, but long term there connecting themselves emotionally to younger consumers without having to actually do anything virtuous.
This. All these 40+ people complaining on FB that Nike is done:joy:

This can only help the 2020 re-election of Trump. All Trump needs to do is retain the states he won. Kap is pissing off every Trump supporter today. They can't wait until 2020.

This can only help the 2020 re-election of Trump. All Trump needs to do is retain the states he won. Kap is pissing off every Trump supporter today. They can't wait until 2020.
Lost by 3 million votes last time.
Get that disapproval rating above 60%
Keep winning.

ADVERTISEMENT