ADVERTISEMENT

NIL / Transfer Portal destroying CFB

N.FL Knight

Four-Star Recruit
Aug 30, 2007
Football is the ultimate team sport. Football, more than any other popular sport, requires a team effort. Unlike sports like basketball, one guy still needs his team to perform.

For success in football, 11 people must be in unison. 11 people must not only execute a play, they also need to execute it as a group while modifying how they execute it depending on what the other 11 men on the field are trying to do. Success only comes if all men on the field are a team, trust each other and spend countless hours building chemistry and bonds.

“Family”. This word is used more in football than any other sport for a reason. A good team needs to be like a family.
THIS, takes time. Takes kids being at the same place, working on the same goals, and building bonds for several years.
THIS, is what makes CFB so different than even the NFL. In CFB, kids are turning into men while working together to reach a common goal. When this comes together, it is special.

NIL and the Transfer Portal are ripping at the fabric of what CFB is. Individualism, narcissism, and the “gotta think about #1 above all” mentality, may make CFB unrecognizable in the near future. There are correlations between society as a whole and what is happening to CFB, as we see a massive turn towards individualism in every aspect of our lives.
It’s everywhere.
The common good is no longer fore front. We have less and less people playing CFB to accomplish a team goal. They are on the field with their own goals. Their own agendas.

The first victim…. Bowls. With the rash of transfers and holdouts, bowls are getting less interesting and are starting to produce less money.

The next victim… High School athletes. Less scholarships are being offered at the D1 level than ever before because teams are using those spots for transfers.

Another victim: The players. NIL is unregulated. What happens when a kid is paid and leaves? Do you think a kid is going to sue a collective? What if he doesn’t get what was promised? Do you think kids have the $ to vet these contracts?

It will continue to go down this path..

Although D1 CFB remains massively popular, if this unregulated era of the transfer portal and NIL continues as-is, it will change CFB for the worse. College presidents and ADs are drunk on the money that is coming in. They cannot see straight therefore they won’t change it.

The players are trying to figure out ways to cash in and find the greener grass like never before. I heard Marc Daniels’ show last week and two stats stayed with me
-70% of players that entered the portal last year did not find a new place to play.
-55% of players in the portal last year did not play college football at the D1 level at all.

Let that sink in. 55% of kids LOST their scholarship. Lost the opportunity for a free college education.

**The only difference between the two numbers is that some kids were taken back by their old school.**

It’s an ugly path we are going down and I don’t know how it ends up not changing CFB for the worse…

Last edited:
The title of the thread (which I do not agree with) does not coincide with the writing of the OP…….most of us would agree that college athletes deserve some compensation for the extra time they put in, but I thought that might be around $15k a year for each full scholarship athlete….not QBs earning 1M+ or some women athletes earning the same because of their appearance.

And making a free transfer every year, really works to mess up the system further.

I believe the NIL / Transfer Portal as it is in play today is destroying what we know as CFB today. The post absolutely coincides with the title.

I'm not stating that they should not be paid. I'm stating the process as it sits today, is not good.

Lastly, the trend towards individualism will have a long lasting effect on team sports.

Last edited:
Colleges/coaches making millions/hundreds of millions is what destroyed college football. Schools in 90's didn't have $100 million invested in football facilities nor coaches making more than $1 million (average was $400k). Programs didn't focus everything around generating money. Coaches used to stay with programs for decades. More than half the discussions on this board is about UCF getting money, TV revenue/ratings, building facilities, lazy rivers, ect.

The sport broke a long time ago, but now the players are starting to get a piece of the pie.

Happened with every sport, remember when MLB all star game was competitive and they played the game like it was a World Series. Now players won't participate in Home Run Derby because it might hurt their swing and cost them millions.

NIL…. Because $100,000+ college education, free housing, free food, free clothing, and free travel across the United States, with Ofcourse the added bonus of a 4 year free audition tape for NFL scouts isn’t enough….

NIL…. Because $100,000+ college education, free housing, free food, free clothing, and free travel across the United States, with Ofcourse the added bonus of a 4 year free audition tape for NFL scouts isn’t enough….
and also the social experience..and not just partying but meeting different people and leaving with a new perspective that doesn’t happen to many without the college experience

Football is the ultimate team sport. Football, more than any other popular sport, requires a team effort. Unlike sports like basketball, one guy still needs his team to perform.

For success in football, 11 people must be in unison. 11 people must not only execute a play, they also need to execute it as a group while modifying how they execute it depending on what the other 11 men on the field are trying to do. Success only comes if all men on the field are a team, trust each other and spend countless hours building chemistry and bonds.

“Family”. This word is used more in football than any other sport for a reason. A good team needs to be like a family.
THIS, takes time. Takes kids being at the same place, working on the same goals, and building bonds for several years.
THIS, is what makes CFB so different than even the NFL. In CFB, kids are turning into men while working together to reach a common goal. When this comes together, it is special.

NIL and the Transfer Portal are ripping at the fabric of what CFB is. Individualism, narcissism, and the “gotta think about #1 above all” mentality, may make CFB unrecognizable in the near future. There are correlations between society as a whole and what is happening to CFB, as we see a massive turn towards individualism in every aspect of our lives.
It’s everywhere.
The common good is no longer fore front. We have less and less people playing CFB to accomplish a team goal. They are on the field with their own goals. Their own agendas.

The first victim…. Bowls. With the rash of transfers and holdouts, bowls are getting less interesting and are starting to produce less money.

The next victim… High School athletes. Less scholarships are being offered at the D1 level than ever before because teams are using those spots for transfers.

Another victim: The players. NIL is unregulated. What happens when a kid is paid and leaves? Do you think a kid is going to sue a collective? What if he doesn’t get what was promised? Do you think kids have the $ to vet these contracts?

Although D1 CFB remains massively popular, if this unregulated era of the transfer portal and NIL continues as-is, it will change CFB for the worse. College presidents and ADs are drunk on the money that is coming in. They cannot see straight therefore they won’t change it.

The players are trying to figure out ways to cash in and find the greener grass like never before. I heard Marc Daniels’ show last week and two stats stayed with me
-70% of players that entered the portal last year did not find a new place to play.
-55% of players in the portal last year did not play college football at the D1 level at all.

Let that sink in. 55% of kids LOST their scholarship. Lost the opportunity for a free college education.

**The only difference between the two numbers is that some kids were taken back by their old school.**

It’s an ugly path we are going down and I don’t know how it ends up not changing CFB for the worse…
You're waaay too concerned about it. As evidenced by how much you wrote. I stopped after the first couple of sentences. Let the kids get paid and be free to transfer if they choose. It's their literal lives that are on the line out there.

and also the social experience..and not just partying but meeting different people and leaving with a new perspective that doesn’t happen to many without the college experience
What is the social experience of most college football players? They spend a vast amount of time, practicing, in the gym, team meetings, eating with the team, travelling. They have curfews, they have team rules. Many load up on classes to graduate in shorter period of time. So many of them will transfer on the drop of a dime, seems like they don't develop much relationships outside of football, otherwise transferring would be more of a big deal for an 18-19 year old.

What is the social experience of most college football players? They spend a vast amount of time, practicing, in the gym, team meetings, travelling. They have curfews, they have team rules. Many load up on classes to graduate in shorter period of time. So many of them will transfer on the drop of a dime, seems like they don't develop much relationships outside of football, otherwise transferring would be more of a big deal for an 18-19 year old.
Fall is busier than Spring for them but they do have the experience. most of the time with other athletes in other sports but it is a family feel. I just disagree in general when that experience is discounted with football players or normal students

And UCF players don’t have a curfew other than maybe the night before a game

Colleges/coaches making millions/hundreds of millions is what destroyed college football. Schools in 90's didn't have $100 million invested in football facilities nor coaches making more than $1 million (average was $400k). Programs didn't focus everything around generating money. Coaches used to stay with programs for decades. More than half the discussions on this board is about UCF getting money, TV revenue/ratings, building facilities, lazy rivers, ect.

The sport broke a long time ago, but now the players are starting to get a piece of the pie.

Happened with every sport, remember when MLB all star game was competitive and they played the game like it was a World Series. Now players won't participate in Home Run Derby because it might hurt their swing and cost them millions.
Couldn’t agree more.

And as to bowls being ruined by holdouts… I feel like the increase in the number of bowls and number of middle of the day - during the middle of the week - has made them less special. Not to mention all of the coaching shuffling that is happening in early December as well.

The whole system is increasingly biffed and it is driven by money. But you need money to be competitive….and the vicious cycle continues.

Track the money - Big issue that NIL needs to deal with.
From there you can figure out distribution and any potential caps.

Another side issue no one talks about…..if you are transferring 2-3 times, there is no way most of those class credits transfer, so they are not going to get their degrees, which 99+% would need in the real world after the eligibility expires (except for Holton Ahlers, who seems like he has lifetime eligibility).

• Haha
Reactions: muckdawg24
It is definitely not your grandfathers college football anymore!

It does add another layer to the complexity of the relationships between student-athlete with schools, coaches, and fans.

I think the only thing that needs to be looked at is NIL money. They better be teaching the kids about paying taxes and the legalities of taking money and contracts and such.

I think the cat is out of the bag and the schools that play nice with the new realities will reap the rewards.

Look at all the Qb's listed in the portal. Interesting that 70 percent won't find a home and 55 percent won't be playing anymore.

The portal giveth and taketh away...It will be interesting on who will not make a squad next year.

It is definitely not your grandfathers college football anymore!

It does add another layer to the complexity of the relationships between student-athlete with schools, coaches, and fans.

I think the only thing that needs to be looked at is NIL money. They better be teaching the kids about paying taxes and the legalities of taking money and contracts and such.

I think the cat is out of the bag and the schools that play nice with the new realities will reap the rewards.

Look at all the Qb's listed in the portal. Interesting that 70 percent won't find a home and 55 percent won't be playing anymore.

The portal giveth and taketh away...It will be interesting on who will not make a squad next year.

Most of the kids in portal didn’t play anyway. Thats why they are leaving. But they are also giving up free food and education by thinking they are good. They should talk to coaches bedore entering portal even though that’s frowned upon.

It’s everywhere.

Aren't you describing soccer (aka football) ?

I believe the NIL / Transfer Portal as it is in play today is destroying what we know as CFB today. The post absolutely coincides with the title.

I'm not stating that they should not be paid. I'm stating the process as it sits today, is not good.

Lastly, the trend towards individualism will have a long lasting effect on team sports.
I agree and scholarships should be tied to legal bunding contracts. They are essentially payroll to attend a school and these are legal adults signing to play. NIL should be similar

These kids have every right to choose where they want to play (where accepted) and they have every right to be gainfully employed either for themselves or someone else, especially when over 18....just like any other student, namely those that work full-time to put themselve through college...many working in the discipline or craft for which they are going to school. I did...

People want scholarships to be legally-binding contracts, etc? BWAHAHAHA!!! GTFO...
Make lots of money? Lose your scholarships. Easy. Just like any other income-based scholarship...
Don't need to make these like NFL contracts. These kids have the same rights as any other student.

All you FANS want to do is CONTROL.

I see football as no different than any other craft a person can perfect, and certain situations may not be suitable for a player, we as fans, don't have to know them. If they are a better fit elsewhere? Let them leave gracefully. Many have family ties to the region they are going. Do we know all those details? Engineering students compete for cash, and preferred interships...they get "recruited" by other schools all the time, and many switch mid-way through to graduate elsewhere in their discipline...why do you folks believe Student Athletes cannot???

It's not our business really to say anything really about these kids and their choices. That's why they always resort to saying "respect my decision". They are right!

Do you really want a player to stay on a team that's miserable? Seriously?

This is college. This is when kids are SUPPOSED to change their minds and find themselves. They are called "young adults" for a reason. It is great they are learning about business, budget and finance WHILE in school and not after. Don't give me some lip that "they are not learning those skill". They very much are learning...and starting LLCs, Proprietorships, etc...like many other students that go to school.

A lot of complaints here I read are...

"Wah, my favorite player is leaving..."
"Wah, so and so isn't being a team player..."
"Wah, other teams are getting better..."

These are nothing but fan-concerns. I call them "fan-fodder". I sometimes hate seeing players go, but happy they are trying a new road, it's their perogative. I worry about the level of vicarious emotional investment some fans have where they are berating players choosing their own path in life. Many of you are losing your proverbial shit on these kids and it really isn't healthy at all. Players leave teams in other sports all the time...

I've never seen a dollar make a kid catch better or run faster either...the field itself is the equalizer of all this.

The reality is College Football has been in flux since it STARTED. People complained every time there was something new. "TV ruined college football!!!", The split of Div 1A and DIV2AA...anyone alive during that split can tell you the drama that ensued...

There is nothing to ruin. Something, technically, "cannot be ruined" if it is a state of perpetual flux...

What I see is parity, which is good for any sport.

I see perrenial blue-bloods no longer able to lock-down and hoard talent.

I see teams that have historically struggled field good teams. TULANE??? Trust me, their success will continue in AAC...

I see more of an argument for Playoff Expansion, which has now happened, as a direct result of parity from the portal and the increase of talent in densely populated recruiting regions.

We wanted this, remember?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT