ADVERTISEMENT

No More Love From ESPN FPI

Reactions: U C to the F
this board will melt down if that prediction is accurate and KZ starts and beats ND week 1

Heupel declined the Program talent but still seems low. ESPN must not believe in DG
I must admit that it's understandable that they are not believing. While his "strong suit" is supposedly his accuracy, he completed 60.0 % of passes in 2020 ,which is 67th place of all FBS qbs. Yes he was 5th in FBS in how many yards passing he racked up, but he passed 413 times to obtain those yards. Only 8 of the 66 qbs ahead of him on the completion % list threw more that 350 passes, and only 22 threw more than 300 passes. So what we got was a lot of passing attempts, leading to a lot of yards, but not a lot of consistency as compared throughout the FBS qb community.

Additionally, ESPN may not believe because, against the better defenses in our conference, Cincy, Memphis and Tulsa, in two years running he is 0-5. He has yet to beat either of those 3 programs. And his completion % is lower and turnovers are higher in those important games. Maybe this is what ESPN was looking at.

I do agree that he has been stellar against lower level opponents. However, If we are to be honest with ourselves, I feel we must admit that we need him to step up against better opponents, especially those within our conference. He has the skills, so he needs to more consistently deliver them in the critical games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guinness_Knight
One dimensional offenses can't beat the best defenses. Glad Gus has more balanced offensive approach.
Right. Let’s not forget Huepel’s one dimensional offense was a direct correlation with the low completion percentage. KZ even took a big hit in efficiency in the turd’s scheme. Throw a 3-3-5 at em and call it a day, teams with better defense could stop us. Also, that same offensive approach and poor Huepel recruiting (LB specifically) left our defense tired and in the toilet. Big backs, good tight end or scrambling QB and the defense was toast. DG was just trying to make it happen with the poor game plan and leadership he had. Let’s not forget all the drops the WRs had in big moments, or the inability to kick a FG, or not kick a FG and go for it getting stuffed on a run up the middle.

DG is very accurate. 17 for 22, 77% in spring game with Gus’ balanced scheme. We won’t see many 3-3-5 this year.

I must admit that it's understandable that they are not believing. While his "strong suit" is supposedly his accuracy, he completed 60.0 % of passes in 2020 ,which is 67th place of all FBS qbs. Yes he was 5th in FBS in how many yards passing he racked up, but he passed 413 times to obtain those yards. Only 8 of the 66 qbs ahead of him on the completion % list threw more that 350 passes, and only 22 threw more than 300 passes. So what we got was a lot of passing attempts, leading to a lot of yards, but not a lot of consistency as compared throughout the FBS qb community.

Additionally, ESPN may not believe because, against the better defenses in our conference, Cincy, Memphis and Tulsa, in two years running he is 0-5. He has yet to beat either of those 3 programs. And his completion % is lower and turnovers are higher in those important games. Maybe this is what ESPN was looking at.

I do agree that he has been stellar against lower level opponents. However, If we are to be honest with ourselves, I feel we must admit that we need him to step up against better opponents, especially those within our conference. He has the skills, so he needs to more consistently deliver them in the critical games.
Basically the same assessment of Heupel. Calling the same plays and not adapting or coming up with anything creative to throw off the defenses. Oh a 0 half time adjustments. I think DG willl thrive with our new coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT