ADVERTISEMENT

No more SAT and ACT at Cal

The effect they hope to have is to increase the number of poor and minority students in colleges because there is good research that shows more wealthy and white students are more likely to retake exams and get higher scores as a result.

If you take away the exam all together, wealthier and white students will lose a tool to signal ability, thus from the Universities perspective, it will be harder to differentiate between these different groups of applicants (all else the same).

I've read research on these types of policies and sometimes there's unintended consequences that backfire. For example, Universities may decide to discriminate more, after the law because now they can't differentiate any student in the poor or minority groups based on SAT, and may start admitting more wealthy and white students as a result. Or perhaps the richest and most connected students decide to go out of state, which could hurt the social network of the students who stay in state.

Last edited:
Reactions: GradyII and Lurky
All I know is UCF has direct connect so I don't think this type of thing would change much for students. In some ways direct connect might be better.

I went to school at UCF. I don’t care what California does. They’ll make the bed they sleep in. There will be good that comes out of it. There will be bad that comes out if it. One thing we know is money and their own survival will take precedent over all else.

I kind of feel like it is a moot point long term. I think college will drastically change over the next 10-20 years. Virtual learning is going to explode. You can live anywhere and be a student anywhere else. Therefore institutions become less dependent on extracting money solely from students that have to physically be on campus to go to class. In fact, colleges themselves can become more co-located as more and more of its content transitions to the virtual world.

I went to school at UCF. I don’t care what California does. They’ll make the bed they sleep in. There will be good that comes out of it. There will be bad that comes out if it. One thing we know is money and their own survival will take precedent over all else.

I kind of feel like it is a moot point long term. I think college will drastically change over the next 10-20 years. Virtual learning is going to explode. You can live anywhere and be a student anywhere else. Therefore institutions become less dependent on extracting money solely from students that have to physically be on campus to go to class. In fact, colleges themselves can become more co-located as more and more of its content transitions to the virtual world.

Starting to stack up a lot of "back in my day" realizations being unveiled by this pandemic. Excited to berate future generations with my stories until I die (virtually, of course).

Reactions: Knight Strength
Assumes white kids are wealthy and can afford tutors & test prep. Futher assumes african & hispanic kids are poor & can't. And so we're all either rednecks or gangbangers too, right?

Who's kid has more resources to do well on a standardized test, Orange County Mayor Jerry Demmings or Joe O'Malley construction worker?

A bit insulting to generalize like that. Typical faulty logic from that state, as usual. Sorry, it must be the offseason & shutdown. I need more sports!

Reactions: Finance2000Knight
The effect they hope to have is to increase the number of poor and minority students in colleges because there is good research that shows more wealthy and white students are more likely to retake exams and get higher scores as a result.

If you take away the exam all together, wealthier and white students will lose a tool to signal ability, thus from the Universities perspective, it will be harder to differentiate between these different groups of applicants (all else the same).

I've read research on these types of policies and sometimes there's unintended consequences that backfire. For example, Universities may decide to discriminate more, after the law because now they can't differentiate any student in the poor or minority groups based on SAT, and may start admitting more wealthy and white students as a result. Or perhaps the richest and most connected students decide to go out of state, which could hurt the social network of the students who stay in state.

I guess if your endowment is big enough to try and cut down on the number of people who can afford test prep and tutors more power to you.

all this talk about poor and minority and rich and white students has clouded what is probably the real reason why they are going this route. white students aren't even the majority at schools like UCLA and Berkeley. asians are even though they only make up 13% of the state population.

all this talk about poor and minority and rich and white students has clouded what is probably the real reason why they are going this route. white students aren't even the majority at schools like UCLA and Berkeley. asians are even though they only make up 13% of the state population.
I just looked up UCLA. White 28 %, Asian 25% , then Latino then black. A lot of Asians emphasize academics, probably why so many enroll even though population numbers aren’t to scale. The real rich Chinese send their kids here to study. Lisa Ling did a story on it. Most of those rich kids are real spoiled and spend most of their time partying. They have a bad rep.

Reactions: ahabmw
More than likely it is just a way to disguise the fact that the k-12 education is failing the kids miserably. Stick to reading, writing, arithmetic, history, art, and music instead of all this other BS they spew. Can’t call the schools and teachers out now can we (they always blame the parents). How about they teach and hold kids accountable, I am white, grew up poor but had teachers that expected more.

More than likely it is just a way to disguise the fact that the k-12 education is failing the kids miserably. Stick to reading, writing, arithmetic, history, art, and music instead of all this other BS they spew. Can’t call the schools and teachers out now can we (they always blame the parents). How about they teach and hold kids accountable, I am white, grew up poor but had teachers that expected more.
This isnt a teacher problem. This is a resource problem. We need to invest more in our public education which requires $$$. Im cool paying more in taxes if it improves our education system, but I would prefer if they start by taxing the people at the top

This isnt a teacher problem. This is a resource problem. We need to invest more in our public education which requires $$$. Im cool paying more in taxes if it improves our education system, but I would prefer if they start by taxing the people at the top
Lol at more money. We spend more per capita than most of the world. Focus on real education and not these pet projects that keep getting pushed like common core, anti bullying, climate change, etc., that crap wont help any of these kids. My wife works in the schools. The problem is that most of the administrators don’t support the teachers and they don’t provide discipline. Tough love, not this bull crap about everyone is required the same outcome, they should be required equal opportunity.

I just looked up UCLA. White 28 %, Asian 25% , then Latino then black. A lot of Asians emphasize academics, probably why so many enroll even though population numbers aren’t to scale. The real rich Chinese send their kids here to study. Lisa Ling did a story on it. Most of those rich kids are real spoiled and spend most of their time partying. They have a bad rep.
http://www.admission.ucla.edu/campusprofile.htm

28% asian, 27% white.

You have no idea what you are taking about. You are blaming a group of people who have dedicated their lives to helping children. You couldn’t be more ignorant to the facts. There are always bad apples in every bunch, but most teachers endure so much crap from people like you, low pay especially in Florida, and many children and parents that are undisciplined and refuse to do their part. Teachers are blamed when students fail even when students refuse to complete or turn in assignments, and the parents complain that the child fails. You couldn’t be more clueless. Spend a day as a substitute in a middle or high school and then come talk to me.

You have no idea what you are taking about. You are blaming a group of people who have dedicated their lives to helping children. You couldn’t be more ignorant to the facts. There are always bad apples in every bunch, but most teachers endure so much crap from people like you, low pay especially in Florida, and many children and parents that are undisciplined and refuse to do their part. Teachers are blamed when students fail even when students refuse to complete or turn in assignments, and the parents complain that the child fails. You couldn’t be more clueless. Spend a day as a substitute in a middle or high school and then come talk to me.
There is a poster in here who says our Education department is a joke. He thinks teachers are dumb and inept.

There is a poster in here who says our Education department is a joke. He thinks teachers are dumb and inept.
I will join that poster somewhat. I know there are great, well qualified teachers out there but many are unqualified and inept. I tutored at Carver middle school for a Fall semester a couple of years ago. I had to bite my lip while teachers taught pseudoscience and conspiracy theories that they must have learned from their social media feeds. They were journalism or art majors who never wanted to be teachers, but I figured they just didn't know what else to do with their lives so they decided to become teachers for the stability and benefits. Again I know there are great teachers out there. I had some myself as a kid. But it seems like there are very few now who have great passion for their subject and passing it on to the next generation.

Reactions: shacket
I will join that poster somewhat. I know there are great, well qualified teachers out there but many are unqualified and inept. I tutored at Carver middle school for a Fall semester a couple of years ago. I had to bite my lip while teachers taught pseudoscience and conspiracy theories that they must have learned from their social media feeds. They were journalism or art majors who never wanted to be teachers, but I figured they just didn't know what else to do with their lives so they decided to become teachers for the stability and benefits. Again I know there are great teachers out there. I had some myself as a kid. But it seems like there are very few now who have great passion for their subject and passing it on to the next generation.
I didn’t say teachers as a whole, I said our Education department. People who go to school for teaching. Not those that are doing it for summers off.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Dude, did I say the gd teachers. I said the administrators don’t let the teachers teach and they don’t focus on the topics. The administrators don’t have the teachers backs. Stop with the needless bully crap, whether or not a boy is a boy, other stuff that isn’t going to help these kids in the future. Teach reading, writing, arithmetic, music, arts, and some general trade knowledge. I do know what I am talking about, my wife is a teacher.

Last edited:
Lol at more money. We spend more per capita than most of the world. Focus on real education and not these pet projects that keep getting pushed like common core, anti bullying, climate change, etc., that crap wont help any of these kids. My wife works in the schools. The problem is that most of the administrators don’t support the teachers and they don’t provide discipline. Tough love, not this bull crap about everyone is required the same outcome, they should be required equal opportunity.
A big part of the issue is that we pay for schools largely out of local property taxes. The result is that we have some GREAT school districts in affluent areas and some shitty schools in poor areas.

Overall, we spend more money than most nations per capita on education, but the gulf between Winter Park High or Dr. Phillips high vs Jones High or Boone High is very large. If you put me in charge I would tax the property statewide, put it all in one "education trust fund" in Tallahassee, and re-distribute it back to the schools, at an equal amount per student throughout the state. I would anticipate much better outcomes on average for students with poor socioeconomic backgrounds, and I anticipate the richer kids would be fine either way.

Right now when you look to buy property, one of the big things your realtor sells you on is the local school district. How messed up is that? There should be no school in our state (or country) that isn't good enough for every student. We are too rich of a country to leave behind half of our talent stock like that.

If schools don’t require ACT or SAT does that allow athletes to qualify easier? I wonder how many athletes don’t qualify because of test scores rather than grades

ADVERTISEMENT