ADVERTISEMENT

NYC may end gifted programs because lack of diversity

UCFWayne

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2011
Casselberry
facebook unbiased america
(K.R.) PANEL APPOINTED BY MAYOR DE BLASIO RECOMMENDS ENDING ALL PROGRAMS FOR THE GIFTED IN NYC SCHOOLS BECAUSE TOO MANY STUDENTS WHO QUALIFY ARE WHITE OR ASIAN

A School Diversity Advisory Group appointed by New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is recommending that all public schools in the city end their programs for gifted and talented students because there are too many white and asian students in the programs.

Like many school systems around the country, New York places elementary and middle school students who score highly into the programs. Yet the city has come under criticism because, despite representing roughly 70% of the student body at city public schools, black and Hispanic students are disproportionately underrepresented in the gifted and talented programs; about 75% of students admitted are white or Asian.

While some lawmakers have proposed increasing gifted and talented classes in order to increase diversity, Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza has been skeptical.

"When you're talking about gifted and talented as a panacea, you're talking about further segregating children," Carranza said earlier this year.

The final decision is up to the mayor, whom, in response to pressure from activists, has called for an overhaul of admissions to address school segregation.

SOURCE:
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...c-public-schools-panel-recommends-ending-them
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/26/nyregion/gifted-programs-nyc-desegregation.html

The public school system should be the leader in identifying gifted children from all backgrounds and entering them into gifted programs. The public school system should be immune to outside pressure from parents to put their non-gifted child into gifted programs. If the gifted program has a bunch of non-gifted children in it, they might as well kill the program because it will do as much harm to the truly gifted children as good.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Why can't you people just admit you are racist and stop beating around the bush? Jesus just go join stormfront or something and stop posting this "unbiased american" shit all over this board and ruining it.

The public school system should be the leader in identifying gifted children from all backgrounds and entering them into gifted programs. The public school system should be immune to outside pressure from parents to put their non-gifted child into gifted programs. If the gifted program has a bunch of non-gifted children in it, they might as well kill the program because it will do as much harm to the truly gifted children as good.
Full disclosure: My wife is a public school teacher (B.A. in English/Technical Writing with her Master's in English Language Arts Education). She also has her gifted certification and has taught both non-gifted and gifted for several years.

We decided a few years ago to have both of our girls tested for gifted. One stipulation to that - and one that my wife required - is that our children would be tested by the County despite the fact that our girls go to private school. For the record, the private school that they go to doesn't have a gifted program; but, my wife, having recently gone through the gifted certification process, was interested to see if she was accurate in the potential "gifted" signs that she spotted in our children. I'm not sure if it's the same outside of Florida, but in Florida you can choose to have your children tested by the County or tested privately by some person/group to whom you pay money (it's no-cost through the county). The theory my wife (and others) have is that you'll get honest feedback/scores from the county because there's no incentive to approve/deny any child. If you don't like the outcome then too bad. However, if you go the private route (for a fee) then you, as a parent, can have influence over the evaluator (either directly or indirectly). We've spoken to parents/friends who had their kid tested privately by a specific person/group for the sole reason that other parents/friends had "good luck" with that person. My wife has been told on more than one occasion that there are certain private gifted evaluators out there that are motivated to "stay in business" by approving kids for gifted whether or not those children are truly qualified to receive a gifted endorsement. Now that the college admissions scandal has come under the light, my wife and I looked at each other and realized that this private gifted evaluation may have its own scandal to unearth.

Reactions: UCFWayne
There is a huge disparity in Florida as well. To try to change this, certain minority groups are graded on a curve. A 130 IQ is needed from certain majority groups to get into gifted, while a 127 IQ is required from a minority group.

Last edited:
Full disclosure: My wife is a public school teacher (B.A. in English/Technical Writing with her Master's in English Language Arts Education). She also has her gifted certification and has taught both non-gifted and gifted for several years.

We decided a few years ago to have both of our girls tested for gifted. One stipulation to that - and one that my wife required - is that our children would be tested by the County despite the fact that our girls go to private school. For the record, the private school that they go to doesn't have a gifted program; but, my wife, having recently gone through the gifted certification process, was interested to see if she was accurate in the potential "gifted" signs that she spotted in our children. I'm not sure if it's the same outside of Florida, but in Florida you can choose to have your children tested by the County or tested privately by some person/group to whom you pay money (it's no-cost through the county). The theory my wife (and others) have is that you'll get honest feedback/scores from the county because there's no incentive to approve/deny any child. If you don't like the outcome then too bad. However, if you go the private route (for a fee) then you, as a parent, can have influence over the evaluator (either directly or indirectly). We've spoken to parents/friends who had their kid tested privately by a specific person/group for the sole reason that other parents/friends had "good luck" with that person. My wife has been told on more than one occasion that there are certain private gifted evaluators out there that are motivated to "stay in business" by approving kids for gifted whether or not those children are truly qualified to receive a gifted endorsement. Now that the college admissions scandal has come under the light, my wife and I looked at each other and realized that this private gifted evaluation may have its own scandal to unearth.
that is very interesting. yea i bet they would be motivated to nudge some border line kids into the gifted programs if it meant they could now charge the parents more for classes.

There is a huge disparity in Florida as well. To try to change this, certain minority groups are graded on a curve. A 130 IQ is needed from certain majority groups to get into gifted, while a 127 IQ is required from a minority group.
This is complete and utter bullshiit. Every student is graded on a curve. Stop trying to make up snowflake excuses for the kids that don't cut the mustard. White, East Indian and Asian parents often emphasize doing homework, getting good grades, getting into college and formulating a reasonable career track as a priority, whereas others focus on getting into the NBA, NFL or becoming a rapper as a viable career choice. Maybe those parents should get a grip on reality and hold their children accountable for their studies, rather than allowing them to hang out at the mall or on the street corner until midnight — at a time when the parent(s) themselves have already gone to bed.

Rebranded as in decided to come back after a long time and go all in with the racist shit.

Nah, Jedi has been around for a while. A long time ago I commented on his Stat Wars avatar and he got really pissed at me.

Rebranded as in decided to come back after a long time and go all in with the racist shit.
Truth hurts KnightTimeHoe, doesn't it. People need to stop burying their heads in the sand and only looking at half of the equation. I mean, seriously; white guys are generally known as fitting the profile of mass shooters and pedophiles, but by no means are the only ones out in the world fcuking up either.

Last edited:
Truth hurts KnightTimeHoe, doesn't it. People need to stop burying their heads in the sand and only looking at half of the equation. I mean, seriously; white guys are generally known as fitting the profile of mass shooters and pedophiles, but by no means are the only ones out in the world fcuking up either.

It's painful just how shitty of a poster you are. KnightTimeHoe? What are you, 16?

Nah, Jedi has been around for a while. A long time ago I commented on his Stat Wars avatar and he got really pissed at me.

Oh, I know this asshat has been around for some time. Again, picking up where YWB left off.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
It's painful just how shitty of a poster you are. KnightTimeHoe? What are you, 16?

Sounds like someone got triggered ... ma'am.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-29-at-2.34.23-PM-e1546112106581.png

Reactions: DaShuckster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT