ADVERTISEMENT

NYC needs more social workers!

I like how you're just assuming we'll forget that NYC locked people away in their homes for 3 months.
Nah, they probably just saw the press conference where the Houston mayor asked criminals to take a break until Covid is under control.

911 - go ahead
Caller - oh my god 14 people shot at a funeral. Send police!

911- calm down sir!
Caller - what... people are shot!

911 - we are looking for openings of social workers to stop by.
Caller - you hear the gun shots? We are returning fire behind the casket

911- next available social worker is at 2pm. 3 hours...hang tight

Obviously the funeral was for a gang member so I'd say just let them work it out themselves and dig a hole in the meantime. We need more mass graves in this country for idiots like this.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I know if cities aren't safe, you can't produce jobs. No jobs even more crime. I know it is the woke thing to blame cops for everything, but reduced police hurts inner cities more than woke white people living in a bubble
The cities are the safest that they have been in 50 years. Turn off OANN.

Based on what? Chicago has like 70-100 shot on most weekends.
About 400 deaths YTD from shootings in Chicago. Thats pretty bad.

Now imagine if it was 800 deaths.

And imagine if it wasnt YTD but it was in a single week.

And imagine it wasnt Chicago but instead it was Florida

And it wasnt shooting deaths but it was covid deaths.

Your reaction would go from "Armageddon!!!!" to "no big deal."

Look, no police reform has been implemented in NYC. Im sorry to tell you this but your daily rage thread makes no sense. Pick a new one.

Ok. So policing is in theory that same as it was, any yet violent crime and homicides are shooting through the roof. The solution then is to defund the NYPD and take cops off the streets.

Wow, that makes total sense. Woke logic 2020

Reactions: UCFKnightfan08
Based on what? Chicago has like 70-100 shot on most weekends.

Don't even watch the news any longer. Cancelled my YouTube tv. Spending more time with the kids. Don't really need to see any "peaceful" riots on a daily basis.
Overall, around the world, violent crime has decreased since the peak in the 80's. In Chicago, even though it has also followed the greater trend to a degree, they've also had very strong peaks and, especially recently, historic weekends for murders and shootings. 2020 is going to break the trend significantly in more than a couple of the cities.

Ok. So policing is in theory that same as it was, any yet violent crime and homicides are shooting through the roof. The solution then is to defund the NYPD and take cops off the streets.

Wow, that makes total sense. Woke logic 2020
The solution is to lower income inequality. You think people want to be in gangs? A 5 year old is asked what they want to be when they grow up and says "i want to be the one with the strap." No. We need to find ways to pull people out of this shit before they get in, not after. Thats where social workers can help. They arent responding to the shots fired calls but they can put in the work so that we can have less of them a decade from now.

The solution is to lower income inequality. You think people want to be in gangs? A 5 year old is asked what they want to be when they grow up and says "i want to be the one with the strap." No. We need to find ways to pull people out of this shit before they get in, not after. Thats where social workers can help. They arent responding to the shots fired calls but they can put in the work so that we can have less of them a decade from now.
That's a reasonable position to take, but it shouldn't come at the expense of policing. 3-14 year olds aren't the ones committing crimes so we still have to address what's happening at the same time as deterring it later.

None of that has to do with policing, or arbitrarily defunding the NYPD. Absolutely nothing. You are attempting to correlate two unrelated things to defend a bad position that you've already taken.

None of that has to do with policing, or arbitrarily defunding the NYPD. Absolutely nothing. You are attempting to correlate two unrelated things to defend a bad position that you've already taken.
How does diverting police funds into a stronger social worker program not have anything to do with what I said?

How does diverting police funds into a stronger social worker program not have anything to do with what I said?

I'm sorry, does NYC or California have finite funds? Is funding "social programs" impossible without slashing police funding?

Also, good luck with reducing poverty in these cities while they remain warzones amongst reduced policing. By the way, you do know that actual black leaders in these cities want more police, not less, yes? They have been coming out and saying this and yet their voices are being drowned out by patsy white liberals in the midwest who scream "Defund Police!" and give asinine reasoning as to why that's going to actually help black people.

Problem is the crime in the inner cities keep business out. No jobs...more crime. Better create a safe environment to stop the spiraling trend. Sending a social worker to a warzone is a woke thing to do.

We want the same thing. All Americans to have opportunities.

Long term I think its wise to put more resources into the black community. Whether it is cultural or economically based, black communities have a higher rate of crime, which leads to poverty, which leads to more crime, which makes business owners leery of going there. Its a self perpetuating cycle unfortunately and as a country we have to figure out how to break that cycle. White people did put them into a bad situation but at the same time they are capable of working themselves out of it and being equally successful. Personally, I think the solution is to create economic freedom zones first, encourage maintaining a family unit second, and discouraging criminal behavior third. They need a "we can do this" mindset and know that the country in general wants them to succeed. Both parties have failed at those goals.

That's a reasonable position to take, but it shouldn't come at the expense of policing. 3-14 year olds aren't the ones committing crimes so we still have to address what's happening at the same time as deterring it later.
This is very long but what the hell.

This is absolutely untrue. My wife often deals with 12 - 14 year olds committing property crimes at 2 or 3 am on school nights. In addition, she sees gang members as young as 8 years old participating in all kinds of criminal activities. If you look at the shootings in Chicago, and Oakland, and LA, and a number of other places, you'll see that there are many, many 12 - 18 year olds involved in these gang and clique related feuds.

In addition, there are increasing numbers of crimes committed at schools all over the country that you'll never see in any statistics. The reason for this is the Obama-administration's push to try to end the supposed school-to-prison pipeline by strongly encouraging school systems and police agencies to adopt policies whereby SRO's in schools are not allowed to charge students with the crimes they commit at school. In some cases, the school district intervenes when students commit crimes outside of school. In cases where the students aren't behaving criminally but are breaking school rules by being disruptive and destroying the academic environment, the schools have removed the punishment for this due to "systemic racism" because certain racial groups were suspended or expelled more than others, regardless of any actual frequency of behavior.

The current policies of either ignoring crimes or in removing any punishment for criminal or deleterious behavior is a road paved with good intentions. My biggest problem with it is that it gives tacit approval to a culture of criminality that doesn't encourage the kids engaging in bad behaviors to be good nor does it provide a positive environment and signal to the victims of these crimes that our society values them. I think the former is the bigger injustice to them because they go through school knowing that there are no repercussions and then they turn 18.

It is a frequent occurrence that my wife has an 18-year-old in the back of her car freak out (and often break out into uncontrollable sobbing) when they realize that they aren't going to the juvenile center and instead are going to big boy jail (33rd street in Orlando). Their crimes had nothing to do with being poor and more to do with power over others and the thrill of doing something wrong and now their lives are truly altered. At that point society has failed them, not because of systemic racism, but because we failed to show them that their actions have effects. The thing is that they know it. They just don't care because we never did anything that would make them care.

I think it starts at both ends. They need discipline and to be taught self-discipline. They also need to possess self-worth and to value others. Jobs do provide that. In the early 20th century, nearly 80% of black teens had jobs. Now that number is in the teens. The jobs that they would take are now being taken up by people trying to provide for a family. How do we bridge that gap? Even if we did have positions, how do we encourage people that can make more money criminally in their own community that the non-criminal path is far better for them?

This is very long but what the hell.

This is absolutely untrue. My wife often deals with 12 - 14 year olds committing property crimes at 2 or 3 am on school nights. In addition, she sees gang members as young as 8 years old participating in all kinds of criminal activities. If you look at the shootings in Chicago, and Oakland, and LA, and a number of other places, you'll see that there are many, many 12 - 18 year olds involved in these gang and clique related feuds.

In addition, there are increasing numbers of crimes committed at schools all over the country that you'll never see in any statistics. The reason for this is the Obama-administration's push to try to end the supposed school-to-prison pipeline by strongly encouraging school systems and police agencies to adopt policies whereby SRO's in schools are not allowed to charge students with the crimes they commit at school. In some cases, the school district intervenes when students commit crimes outside of school. In cases where the students aren't behaving criminally but are breaking school rules by being disruptive and destroying the academic environment, the schools have removed the punishment for this due to "systemic racism" because certain racial groups were suspended or expelled more than others, regardless of any actual frequency of behavior.

The current policies of either ignoring crimes or in removing any punishment for criminal or deleterious behavior is a road paved with good intentions. My biggest problem with it is that it gives tacit approval to a culture of criminality that doesn't encourage the kids engaging in bad behaviors to be good nor does it provide a positive environment and signal to the victims of these crimes that our society values them. I think the former is the bigger injustice to them because they go through school knowing that there are no repercussions and then they turn 18.

It is a frequent occurrence that my wife has an 18-year-old in the back of her car freak out (and often break out into uncontrollable sobbing) when they realize that they aren't going to the juvenile center and instead are going to big boy jail (33rd street in Orlando). Their crimes had nothing to do with being poor and more to do with power over others and the thrill of doing something wrong and now their lives are truly altered. At that point society has failed them, not because of systemic racism, but because we failed to show them that their actions have effects. The thing is that they know it. They just don't care because we never did anything that would make them care.

I think it starts at both ends. They need discipline and to be taught self-discipline. They also need to possess self-worth and to value others. Jobs do provide that. In the early 20th century, nearly 80% of black teens had jobs. Now that number is in the teens. The jobs that they would take are now being taken up by people trying to provide for a family. How do we bridge that gap? Even if we did have positions, how do we encourage people that can make more money criminally in their own community that the non-criminal path is far better for them?

Send them back?***

In all seriousness, I suppose we probably have to recognize the fact that the 2 prior generations have failed their offspring first. Not necessarily their fault, but objectively speaking it is a fact. I keep going back to when I was a foster parent and think that the solution is to have a role model in somebody's life that can reverse what has happened in the past. How do you do that with 2 generations of bad influence though?

Invest in the poor, whats the worst that can happen?

It's incredible to watch you mindlessly puke up the dumb talking points that you get from DailyKos every day. Total deflection and a fairly sad defense of the asinine Defund movement, but at least you're committed to terrible policy in the name of Woke.

It's incredible to watch you mindlessly puke up the dumb talking points that you get from DailyKos every day. Total deflection and a fairly sad defense of the asinine Defund movement, but at least you're committed to terrible policy in the name of Woke.
No substance post. Boring.

Send them back?***

In all seriousness, I suppose we probably have to recognize the fact that the 2 prior generations have failed their offspring first. Not necessarily their fault, but objectively speaking it is a fact. I keep going back to when I was a foster parent and think that the solution is to have a role model in somebody's life that can reverse what has happened in the past. How do you do that with 2 generations of bad influence though?
I agree, but they need role models that they can interact with individually on a daily basis. That's not something that the Government or Hollywood or the media can provide. So how do we do that?

Over the course of human existence, the nuclear family has been the most effective structure for raising functional children across economic strata. I find it quite interesting that BLM makes it a point to call out disrupting the nuclear family as a policy goal. I'm all for promoting the non-traditional and extended family structures, but I think there is a lot of value in society today to support the nuclear family. Maybe if we supported the nuclear family more, there'd be less need to promote non-traditional and extended family structures because there would be less of the stresses that cause nuclear family destruction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazyhole
I agree, but they need role models that they can interact with individually on a daily basis. That's not something that the Government or Hollywood or the media can provide. So how do we do that?

Over the course of human existence, the nuclear family has been the most effective structure for raising functional children across economic strata. I find it quite interesting that BLM makes it a point to call our disrupting the nuclear family as a policy goal. I'm all for promoting the non-traditional and extended family structures, but I think there is a lot of value in society today to support the nuclear family. Maybe if we supported the nuclear family more, there'd be less need to promote non-traditional and extended family structures because there would be less of the stresses that cause nuclear family destruction.

Forcibly remove a mother, father, and children from the slums and relocate them to rural America where they know no-one. Give the father a job. Place travel restrictions on them so that they can't return to the hell-hole they came from and learn what its like to be a family surrounded by strangers.

I would in Chicago. The real question is ... how many were actually legal gun owners with a concealed carry license?
Given Chicago's oppressive gun laws, the application of which actually do comprise a racist system, I would lay the mortgage payment that not one of them were.

Given Chicago's oppressive gun laws, the application of which actually do comprise a racist system, I would lay the mortgage payment that not one of them were.
Well, I know a lot of white people who cannot get a concealed carry permit.

ADVERTISEMENT