ADVERTISEMENT

Off brand razors

cnsaguy

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Sep 18, 2002
Anyone used the razors from Dollar Shave Club or Harry's? Are they any good?

I've been using Harry's recently. Handle is fine, blades are OK. I'm not sure if you are actually saving money buying blades more frequently. I haven't switched back though so I guess that says something about them. I don't full face shave though...

I tried DSC but stopped service. I found that the blades weren't overly sharp and didn't get close enough. They didn't last long either.

I went back to Mach3's and the difference is huge.

Reactions: crambone
i used to buy the generics 3 blade ones at the store. i would have to go through them more frequently and felt i was paying about the same over time. i switched back to the gillette sensor 3. if i see the generics on sale, i grab those and use them up quickly.

I been using the Harry's blades. We've been getting them at Target. Yes they are cheaper. Before I was using Mach 3 or whatever the 4 blade was called. They last about as long, which isn't very long because I have the bad habit of not using shaving cream.
giphy.gif

i used to buy the generics 3 blade ones at the store. i would have to go through them more frequently and felt i was paying about the same over time. i switched back to the gillette sensor 3. if i see the generics on sale, i grab those and use them up quickly.
Stop buying the generic, disposable triple blades.

Buy the brandname, bending-curving blade design-head, but still disposable, Schick Xtreme 3 in 20+ packages for <$1 razor at Costco or Sam's Club -- especially when on-sale for under $15.
Being that I was 100% travel for nearly 12 of 15 years (2003-2017), that's what I bought. They work almost as good as the 'systems,' and are a hell of a lot better than the generic 3-blades -- night'n day with the bending-curving blade design-head.

In an emergency, I found they sell the 4 packs at most drug stores for $7-9, sometimes $5 on-sale. But the Costco/Sams 20+ packs are the best buy.

Too much gayness in this thread. Real men dont shave anything other than their heads and their shaft, and when they do its done by a barber in a shop in Dodge City that has whores upstairs.

Mach 3 for years.
I never buy generic razors, TP or cereal.
So what about brandname disposables? Ones with flexible heads and blades?

I think that's where people overlook a very cost effective and travel-friendly option ... especially in bulk at less than $1/razor.

I actually like the disposable wand Schick Xtreme 3 over the non-disposable wand Gillette Mach 3, because the head is more flexible and less rigid, which curves around.

I was basically forced to it when I started traveling, and I realized I was cutting myself less and getting far less burns, than my Mach 3 ... at a fraction of the cost.

NOTE: One can replace just the head on the Schick Xtreme 3 as well, but it usually makes little sense at the cost. The price is the same, and they are much harder to find.

I use Dorco. Apparently they’re the manufacturer for Dollar Shave Club. They very commonly run slickdeals deals.

Reactions: UCFBS
So what about brandname disposables? Ones with flexible heads and blades?

I think that's where people overlook a very cost effective and travel-friendly option ... especially in bulk at less than $1/razor.

I actually like the disposable wand Schick Xtreme 3 over the non-disposable wand Gillette Mach 3, because the head is more flexible and less rigid, which curves around.

I was basically forced to it when I started traveling, and I realized I was cutting myself less and getting far less burns, than my Mach 3 ... at a fraction of the cost.

NOTE: One can replace just the head on the Schick Xtreme 3 as well, but it usually makes little sense at the cost. The price is the same, and they are much harder to find.

The Mach 3 disposables are good. I use those for manscaping.

So, I tried out the following, three (3) units the past couple of weeks, including two (2) different razors for the non-disposables.
Basically my experience over the last 15 days or so has been this ...
  • Closest shave (period): the 'bending blades' of Extreme3, but also ...
  • Most pain (>>stubble): the 'easily clogged blades' of Extreme3
    • Unless I shave within 2-3 days, I'm constantly 'cleaning out' the Extreme3
  • Best comfort (any stubble): any Fusion razor
    • The difference between blades types is really thinness and lube strip width
I really like the Fusion, even with the 'standard' blades (thin enough for me) it cuts through everything and washes out easily. It is a massive improvement over the Mach3. But I get my '5 o'clock shadow' early with the Fusion, so it's really only good for 'morning of,' and not the 'night before.'

I.e., I cut easily, so I like to shave the night before.
So I cannot give up my Extreme3 when I shave daily or every other day.

When I don't, I use the Fusion for 'cutting through' where the Extreme3 would 'clog up' too easily. So the Fusion is now great if I've gone a long weekend, then I 're-shave' with the Extreme3 for closeness.

The Fusion makes a great razor for the house for me, especially for Sunday nights (or even Monday mornings) after not shaving since Thursday morning (or even Wednesday night). And the Extreme3 will continue to be my close cutter and travel companion, when I'm shaving through the week.

BTW, I never liked the Mach3 versus the Xtreme3, disposable or not, and the Extreme3 has always given me a closer shave. But the Fusion is so worth the extra money over the Mach3, in comfort and ability to cut through thicker stubble.

Just my experiences and resulting conclusions. YMMV.

Last edited:
I haven't used an actual razor in years...anywhere.

Trimmers all around. The "nose hair" trimmers get pretty damn close. For the larger areas, just a normal beard trimmer does the job.

I've found that those ones actually meant for body hair are sh!t. I'm not about the razor bump life.

I use these and have never had a problem. You guys believe all that marketing crap that these razor companies put out.
disposable_razor04110068.jpg

DISCLAIMER: My review was only for facial usage!

But I guess some of you guys are worried about '5 o'clocks shadows' elsewhere? ;)

Misplaced my Gillette Fusion 5 when traveling. Either that, or my 'work roommate' moved it on me (I'm fairly sure I misplaced it on my own though). ;)

So I picked up some of those new Schick Xtreme4 disposables for about $1.50/ea on-sale at the CVS in the base of my apartment building. Definitely always going to buy these when I need an emergency disposable.

Might be the best blend of near-Fusion comfort, with the closeness of the Xtreme3.

Last edited:
Wet/Dry high level (5 series and above), self-cleaning Braun electric razor followed by the cheap Public twin blades for the leftovers that the electric razor misses.

ADVERTISEMENT