ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Play Calling was on point

ReturnOf

Bronze Knight
Jan 6, 2008
Despite the hard loss, one positive takeaway is that CJH did make adjustments to the Offense since the Tulsa game. I saw a lot of new stuff including:

1. We attacked the middle of the field often with both pass and runs
2. Gabriel had design runs that were long
3. Use of two TE sets To block on runs And bubble screens were effective all game
4. False start penalties on O-line we’re finally corrected.

Just gives me visions of Big12 football. All out offense that leaves the defense hung out to dry.

I remember when they scored on the 90+ yard td in one play in the 4th, thinking this helps Memphis. During that period, UCF ran 4 plays in two drives, one for TD. Memphis ran 26 plays in 3 drives for two TDs.

Memphis had the ball for 9 minutes vs. UCF 1 minute to end the 3rd quarter/start 4th quarter.

Memphis had nearly 250 yards of offense in the last 12 minutes of the game.

Just gives me visions of Big12 football. All out offense that leaves the defense hung out to dry.

I remember when they scored on the 90+ yard td in one play in the 4th, thinking this helps Memphis. During that period, UCF ran 4 plays in two drives, one for TD. Memphis ran 26 plays in 3 drives for two TDs.

Memphis had the ball for 9 minutes vs. UCF 1 minute to end the 3rd quarter/start 4th quarter.

Memphis had nearly 250 yards of offense in the last 12 minutes of the game.
They do win some games and Heismans with that style.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Oklahoma would trade their last few Heisman trophies for a national championship in a second. This team is looking more like Texas Tech in the past or 2013 Baylor. Monster offense numbers, but in the end can't amount to sustainable success.
Only 1 of 50?schools can win NC and same with Heisman. If you don’t win NC, you definitely want all the best player awards.

Oklahoma would trade their last few Heisman trophies for a national championship in a second. This team is looking more like Texas Tech in the past or 2013 Baylor. Monster offense numbers, but in the end can't amount to sustainable success.
For 2017-2019 we held opponents to almost exactly 25 ppg. There is a fine line between good and great. 25 ppg maybe be great. I guess we’ll have to see what 33 ppg translates to. Right now it is 2-2. I guess we’ll find out if that number gets better or worse. It will say a lot about our overall record by the end of the season.

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
Only 1 of 50?schools can win NC and same with Heisman. If you don’t win NC, you definitely want all the best player awards.

Playing for individual awards seems silly. Plus last time a non P5 team won the Heisman was 1990. 3 non P5 teams since 1963, and the league is more bias towards major schools than ever.

A UCF QB has to have two consecutive years of Heisman numbers to be considered.

Playing for individual awards seems silly. Plus last time a non P5 team won the Heisman was 1990. 3 non P5 teams since 1963, and the league is more bias towards major schools than ever.

A UCF QB has to have two consecutive years of Heisman numbers to be considered.
Like I said, only 50 schools have the chance for either of those. The other 60 have no chance at either. This year is over. Wouldn’t we like to see a top 5 finish in Heisman in place as of right now how our season has gone?

I have to agree here. They designed plays to take the underneath stuff and took timely shots down field. I complained about the stubbornness for going deep down the sidelines too many times. The staff adjusted although a few losses late. Defense was a mess but give White credit, the pressure that made it he escaped really well and usually hit a receiver down field. Helps to be a 6th year senior.

hopefully they can win out and get another bowl win. I still believe that’s important. Next year with DG a JR CJH has no excuses. All his players with one of the best QBs in the country. DG gives CJH the option to not run the hurry up offense and still be successful IMO. There are some stud skill guys on the outside and Csm Goode is special.

I have to agree here. They designed plays to take the underneath stuff and took timely shots down field. I complained about the stubbornness for going deep down the sidelines too many times. The staff adjusted although a few losses late. Defense was a mess but give White credit, the pressure that made it he escaped really well and usually hit a receiver down field. Helps to be a 6th year senior.

hopefully they can win out and get another bowl win. I still believe that’s important. Next year with DG a JR CJH has no excuses. All his players with one of the best QBs in the country. DG gives CJH the option to not run the hurry up offense and still be successful IMO. There are some stud skill guys on the outside and Csm Goode is special.
Pressure on white? 2 sacks and not much else happened.

Despite the hard loss, one positive takeaway is that CJH did make adjustments to the Offense since the Tulsa game. I saw a lot of new stuff including:

1. We attacked the middle of the field often with both pass and runs
2. Gabriel had design runs that were long
3. Use of two TE sets To block on runs And bubble screens were effective all game
4. False start penalties on O-line we’re finally corrected.
I agree. But the defense was almost letting them score at will. Memphis had 746 yards in offense. There's your game loss. Otis' fumble didn't help. Offensive red-zone needs some work but overall the offense had like 650 yards this game. That's a great fix from Tulsa.

Pressure on white? 2 sacks and not much else happened.
Brady white was doing whatever he wanted most of the game. Do you guys see a trend here in defense?? The QBs have all the time to throw or run the ball and the secondary is beat almost every time! 3rd year of the RANDY SHANNON DEFENSE. ...yes yes I know we have 2 guys out but it shouldn't be 746 yards given up on defense. The defensive line cannot penetrate. OK...I'm done rambling.

We didn't win many contested throws on defense. When guys were in position to make a play on the ball they just didn't get it done and so we couldn't get a stop. Very troubling for a secondary that I thought was going to be a strength.

We didn't win many contested throws on defense. When guys were in position to make a play on the ball they just didn't get it done and so we couldn't get a stop. Very troubling for a secondary that I thought was going to be a strength.
This^ 100% :oops:. Almost like our CB's didn't expect a pass on 3rd and 12?? And it wasn't just our freshmen either, both Maxwell and ARob were dreadful. ARob giving up on that 3rd and 18 on the sidelines when White was able to scamble??

Haven’t looked at the stat sheet, but he appeared to be pressured a few times and scrambled out of it.

This happened with Tulsa too. We got some pressure, but no containment. Too often they step up, break a tackle, and then bomb it over one of our non-existent corners. Run defense isn’t immune to this either. How many times have we seen us get to the runner in the back field only for them to break a tackle, escape containment to the outside of the tackle box, and then run it for 12 yards?

Not sure if this is a LB problem or not, but it doesn’t look like we have the closing speed to stop these plays from happening.

Play calling is always good until its time to take the easiest field goal or extra point. Then it turns into the most complicated 4th down play ever designed that fails and loses the game by 3 or less points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT