ADVERTISEMENT

OK the betting line is open for the question: How long does Dawkins last?

I'll say he'll go the way he did at Stanford...leaving after 2023. Being a FB school, UCF will give him another year, maybe.

From Wikipedia..

In April 2008, he was named head coach at Stanford University, succeeding Trent Johnson.[4] During his time with the Cardinal, he became known as "the king of the NIT" (with crowns in 2012 and 2015). But Dawkins could not get over the hump in the NCAA tournament, with only one appearance (2014) in 8 seasons.

On March 14, 2016, at the conclusion of his eighth season, and after a disappointing one NCAA Tournament appearance in eight seasons as head coach, Dawkins was fired.

I don't get why coaches who built programs get put on a way higher standard that they built?

We were really bad, way behind competing in the AAC when we joined. We had no hope of finishing in the top half of the AAC. Donnie Jones never did. We do that every other year with Dawkins. This team's talent is next level. All brought in by Dawkins. I think we are way underperforming.

I hope Johnny is with us for years to come.

#UCFacts

I don't get why coaches who built programs get put on a way higher standard that they built?

We were really bad, way behind competing in the AAC when we joined. We had no hope of finishing in the top half of the AAC. Donnie Jones never did. We do that every other year with Dawkins. This team's talent is next level. All brought in by Dawkins. I think we are way underperforming.

#UCFacts
You can #UCFacts all you want but Dawkins really hasn't done much better than Jones (circa CUSA era) or even Speraw (circa TAAC/Garage days).

I think UCF sticks with your man another season or two until we've got enough money to hire a coach who gets the #UCFjobdone and #UCFaccomplishesBetterThanMostoftheAAC which #UCFShould, or we #UCFExpectThemToo at this point in our athletic journey.

Last edited:
UCF was a semi-finalist in 2017 under Dawkins.
And the team was shooting better than 50% from three during the late season run. I guess that continues to be Dawkins gameplan, have record shooting or get blown out.

i think he gets one more year to see how he recruits when those players know their first season will be in the big 12. if he can't get a top 30 class then he's not built for big 12 life.
Only problem with that is if he fails the next 2 classes won’t be good. He’ll be recruiting for the following year and then if they fire him our first 2 classes in B12 will be terrible. Have to make the switch now and have next year be a throw away year if new coach can’t get good transfers.

#UCFacts
That’s not entirely accurate though. We finished in the bottom half of the AAC the past 2 seasons, and we’re currently in the bottom half of the conference this season. So absent a late-season turnaround, that will be 3 consecutive seasons in the bottom half of the AAC with losing conference records. The last time they had a winning conference record was 2018-19, with Tacko, B.J. and Chad Brown, all Donnie recruits, plus Aubrey Dawkins. Since the team has been 100% Johnny recruits they haven’t finished above .500 in conference.

Reactions: 90Knight
Until the budget is at the middle to top of the Big 12 this conversation will happen every four or five years with every basketball coach we hire.

I say, fix the budget and then have this conversation.

It's hard to soar with eagles when you are flying with turkeys.

Last edited:
That’s not entirely accurate though. We finished in the bottom half of the AAC the past 2 seasons, and we’re currently in the bottom half of the conference this season. So absent a late-season turnaround, that will be 3 consecutive seasons in the bottom half of the AAC with losing conference records. The last time they had a winning conference record was 2018-19, with Tacko, B.J. and Chad Brown, all Donnie recruits, plus Aubrey Dawkins. Since the team has been 100% Johnny recruits they haven’t finished above .500 in conference.

My post is entirely accurate and UCFull of UCFacts. You're cherry-picking the last 2.5 years vs looking at the entire body of coaching. Johnny has been here nearly 6 years. He took over a team that was 12-18, 6-12 in conference good for 8th. It was only 3 years after Johnny took over that we won our UCFirst NCAA tourney game.

Yes we are 7th right now. Right between Wichita State & Cincy. If those historically great programs fired their coaches for having 2 down years, then then they would have new coaches every few years. UCF needs to have more loyalty to our coaches especially to the ones who brought us to new heights.

#UCFacts

Last edited:
Soooo we should stick with coaches because they had a good season years ago?

Right. Makes perfect sense.

This will be his 4th disappointing season out of 6 years here, not the SECOND.. Post seasons were due to Jones' recruits.

If you're happy with a .500 win% in the AAC, fine, but imo, UCF's at a point where it should be Top 4 in the conference year in, year out. Not 6th or not tied for 9th.

This will be his 4th disappointing season out of 6 years here, not the SECOND.. Post seasons were due to Jones' recruits.

If you're happy with a .500 win% in the AAC, fine, but imo, UCF's at a point where it should be Top 4 in the conference year in, year out. Not 6th or not tied for 9th.

What makes you think UCF "should be Top 4"? Just because? Your UCFeelings told you that.

We took a significant jump up to the Big East / AAC when we did nothing of relevance in CUSA. We did nothing as a Mid-Major and now you expect us to be top 4 of High Major. Okay.

Realists know it takes time to build a program.

#UCFacts

In 13 career seasons for Dawkins coaching, he has finished with a losing conference season 6 times, Finished .500 3 times. and a winning conference season 4 times (2 of those times was 10-8).

Career conference record 119-126.

But I'm sure when he is coaching in one of the toughest conferences in the country he is going to his stride. Coaching in the AAC is obviously holding him back.

What makes you think UCF "should be Top 4"? Just because? Your UCFeelings told you that.

We took a significant jump up to the Big East / AAC when we did nothing of relevance in CUSA. We did nothing as a Mid-Major and now you expect us to be top 4 of High Major. Okay.

Realists know it takes time to build a program.

#UCFacts
Yeah it takes time to build a program.

Just take a look at UCF baseball. We've been waiting for, what?...2 decades?

Only three programs in AAC has had a losing conference record in 2020, 2021,2022. ECU, USF, UCF.

Of course, this is cherry picking looking at the most recent performance, 3 years (50% of his career at UCF). Just like we should only focus on Heupel 2018 season, and forget the other seasons when deciding if Heupel was the right coach for the football program.

Last edited:
Yeah it takes time to build a program.

Just take a look at UCF baseball. We've been waiting for, what?...2 decades?

This red herring deflection is meaningless. What makes you think UCF should be in the Top 4? Memphis who dominated CUSA when we were there, who has multiple top recruiting class, and a huge HC name hire in Penny has finished Top 4 once since Dawkins has been UCF's HC. Memphis hasn't made it to the NCAA tourney since being in the AAC.

Again, why are you so hard on to believing that UCF should be in the Top 4 of the AAC?

I bet you're a new UCFan, or new to basketball. And one of my biggest UCFears is new UCFans with stupid unrealistic expectations. New UCFans can be the most vocal demanding things that we should do. Like have no loyalty to coaches who have helped us tremendously.

#UCFacts

This red herring deflection is meaningless. What makes you think UCF should be in the Top 4? Memphis who dominated CUSA when we were there, who has multiple top recruiting class, and a huge HC name hire in Penny has finished Top 4 once since Dawkins has been UCF's HC. Memphis hasn't made it to the NCAA tourney since being in the AAC.

Again, why are you so hard on to believing that UCF should be in the Top 4 of the AAC?

I bet you're a new UCFan, or new to basketball. And one of my biggest UCFears is new UCFans with stupid unrealistic expectations. New UCFans can be the most vocal demanding things that we should do. Like have no loyalty to coaches who have helped us tremendously.

#UCFacts
I'm not new to UCF, to basketball or to life (that's why I'm OM) and I agree with the growing number of Dawkins Dissidents. As a season ticket holder, they're getting harder and harder to watch. Time for a change.

#UCFacts
Graduated in 2000 f×cko.

Since you've asked me repeatedly now, UCF should be in the Top 4 of the conference because of what we have to offer. It's loser talk, as @Mikesi I believe mentioned, to simply assume we should be relegated to the bottom-tier and to automatically assume our place.

Sorry but if we can't find ourselves above Temple, USF, USF, Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, and yea, Wichita St, then we're doing something wrong.

Last edited:

#UCFacts
We were predicted 5th preseason. We sit 7th

#UCFacts
Memphis has made NCAA twice in AAC and won NIT last year. But I don’t think Penny is a good coach. Great recruiter but not great coach.

My post is entirely accurate and UCFull of UCFacts. You're cherry-picking the last 2.5 years vs looking at the entire body of coaching. Johnny has been here nearly 6 years. He took over a team that was 12-18, 6-12 in conference good for 8th. It was only 3 years after Johnny took over that we won our UCFirst NCAA tourney game.

Yes we are 7th right now. Right between Wichita State & Cincy. If those historically great programs fired their coaches for having 2 down years, then then they would have new coaches every few years. UCF needs to have more loyalty to our coaches especially to the ones who brought us to new heights.

#UCFacts
No it is not accurate. You said under Dawkins they finish in the top half of the AAC "every other year". That is false.

Last year they finished 6th out of 11 teams. The year before that they finished 8th out of 12 teams. This year they are currently 7th out of 11 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT