ADVERTISEMENT

OK the betting line is open for the question: How long does Dawkins last?

It is crazy that UCF spends so little on basketball. However we do not know if Dawkins would be any better with more money. Maybe...maybe not. I would argue that Dawkins players are overachieving on the basis of their raw talent and not coaching. We will not know the answer until UCF spends more money on their basketball budget. Some things are not strictly money related and come down to good basic coaching.

If the budget is 100% the problem, shouldn't a coach be doing everything they can to increase the budget. Drive up interest in the program from the university, alumni, and fanbase.

Might as well hire and up and coming coach for a few hundred grand, the end result can't be that much different. Winning 10 games and not making the tournament is not a huge difference from winning 17 games and not making tournament. Either way the season is forgotten.

B12 isn't going to change anything, because UCF will have to triple the budget to be just average in terms of budget in that league. No way you see the program even doubling the budget under Dawkins.

How do people know the UCF budget and how it stacks up to other schools? Our downfall is recruiting. It’s cheaper to get Florida kids but we aren’t getting the great ones most of the time. That’s not budget. It’s them not wanting to play for the guy recruiting.

How do people know the UCF budget and how it stacks up to other schools? Our downfall is recruiting. It’s cheaper to get Florida kids but we aren’t getting the great ones most of the time. That’s not budget. It’s them not wanting to play for the guy recruiting.

It is crazy that UCF spends so little on basketball. However we do not know if Dawkins would be any better with more money. Maybe...maybe not. I would argue that Dawkins players are overachieving on the basis of their raw talent and not coaching. We will not know the answer until UCF spends more money on their basketball budget. Some things are not strictly money related and come down to good basic coaching.
Yes we do in fact know his ceiling... based on his performance at Stanford, which has a much larger bball budget than we do.

Yes we do in fact know his ceiling... based on his performance at Stanford, which has a much larger bball budget than we do.
The problem with Stanford is there acceptance to the school is quite difficult. They have a national recruiting base because of that. Money is not a problem to them but they are subjected to a limitation of the talent pool because of the academic qualifications.

Reactions: PositYourself
The problem with Stanford is there acceptance to the school is quite difficult. They have a national recruiting base because of that. Money is not a problem to them but they are subjected to a limitation of the talent pool because of the academic qualifications.
Prior to Dawkins at Stanford. Their basketball team went to ncaa tournament 13 of 14 years and the off year was an NIT appearance.

Next 14 years which includes Dawkins 8 years, 1 ncaa tournament appearance.

Prior to Dawkins at Stanford. Their basketball team went to ncaa tournament 13 of 14 years and the off year was an NIT appearance.

Next 14 years which includes Dawkins 8 years, 1 ncaa tournament appearance.
Montgomery was the coach at Stanford who had it going. I believe he ended up taking an Nba job and flailed. Went back to California to coach college and got Cal going. I don’t remember any other coach at Stanford having anywhere near his success he had. The guy was a great great coach

Last edited:
Montgomery was the coach at Stanford who had it going. I believe he ended up taking an Nba job and flailed. Went back to California to coach college and got Cal going. I don’t remember any other coach at Stanford having anywhere near his success he had. The guy was a great great coach
So, hire Montgomery....

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Montgomery was the coach at Stanford who had it going I believe he ended up taking an Nba job and flailed. Went back to California to coach college and got Cal going. I don’t remember any other coach at Stanford having anywhere near his success he had. The guy was a great great coach
Which means the program was super successful and Dawkins was inheriting a program that had tons of momentum.

Again if the goal is to set low standards, this article is perfect. Successful coaches lose their mind and rip their teams if they don't win national championships or make mistakes in a games even if they win comfortably. Asking this team to make a post season tournament is consider too high of an expectation.

This article sits perfectly with the program. Ok with no tournament appearances, swept by rival because they played harder (47-26 rebounding edge by rival) not because they had more talent and not because of having bigger budget.

Wonder why top players transfer out each season, and does anyone want current team members and recruits seeing an article talking about how the program should be content.

Imagine if this was the mentality for the football team 18 years ago, they would still be hoping to make a CUSA championship some day.

Reactions: knightraveler
If the budget is 100% the problem, shouldn't a coach be doing everything they can to increase the budget. Drive up interest in the program from the university, alumni, and fanbase.

Might as well hire and up and coming coach for a few hundred grand, the end result can't be that much different. Winning 10 games and not making the tournament is not a huge difference from winning 17 games and not making tournament. Either way the season is forgotten.

B12 isn't going to change anything, because UCF will have to triple the budget to be just average in terms of budget in that league. No way you see the program even doubling the budget under Dawkins.
Budget doesn't change Johnny's stick in the mud demeanor and zero motivation.

Which means the program was super successful and Dawkins was inheriting a program that had tons of momentum.

Again if the goal is to set low standards, this article is perfect. Successful coaches lose their mind and rip their teams if they don't win national championships or make mistakes in a games even if they win comfortably. Asking this team to make a post season tournament is consider too high of an expectation.

This article sits perfectly with the program. Ok with no tournament appearances, swept by rival because they played harder (47-26 rebounding edge by rival) not because they had more talent and not because of having bigger budget.

Wonder why top players transfer out each season, and does anyone want current team members and recruits seeing an article talking about how the program should be content.

Imagine if this was the mentality for the football team 18 years ago, they would still be hoping to make a CUSA championship some day.
If Football team had this mentality, we wouldn’t be hoping to make CUSA Championship, we’d be happy going 7-5 and losing in a meaningless bowl game. Then say our coach gave us more than we gave him. Whatever that means.

16-13 Last time I commented on how 'Hey we won more than we lost" and the celebration of mediocrity, I got "Peanut gallery" comments. Yep, don't follow BB, think it's boring, but does anyone think 16-13 is acceptable? Does anyone think multiple years of this is acceptable? I had hoped he'd be great for UCF, but, 1-2 years of getting close to significance and the rest in mediocrity is acceptable? 1 NIT success, and 1 win in a first round in what 90% of people actually know is BB. OK, I don't watch BB so maybe success isn't a thing that anyone worries about?

Should UCF take a look at Chris Beard. Guy wins and knows the Big12 landscape. I know the baggage but looks like it may be an isolated incident that got blown out of proportion.

Should UCF take a look at Chris Beard. Guy wins and knows the Big12 landscape. I know the baggage but looks like it may be an isolated incident that got blown out of proportion.
Guy hit the woman. They know he did that. The woman confirmed that, at the end she said she initiated it,but she got hit by him. I understand your rationale basketball wise but it’s hard to overcome the circumstances that led to his firing.I’m sure he will get an offer within two years but he will not get an offer next year anywhere.

Reactions: lawknight
I'd hire that guy in a heartbeat. Look at his record while coaching at 5 different programs, at various levels of college ball: Overall 237-98 (70.7%); Conference 105-62 (63%); 5 of last 7 seasons he was a head coach they made the NCAA tourney (two different teams; One year the Tourney was cancelled). I read several articles on the incident with his fiancée. Can't make heads or tails of it. Hard to make a call on anybody's homelife unless you are living it (or there is video evidence).

Maybe he could be our "George O'Leary" for basketball....some baggage and we fall into a situation that works out well. I can tell you this, we have been nothing but average (underperforming in some seasons) for the last several years so rolling the dice while stepping up in competition means setting the bar high on a first hire for the Big 12.

Last edited:
I'd hire that guy in a heartbeat. Look at his record while coaching at 5 different programs, at various levels of college ball: Overall 237-98 (70.7%); Conference 105-62 (63%); 5 of last 7 seasons he was a head coach they made the NCAA tourney (two different teams; One year the Tourney was cancelled). I read several articles on the incident with his fiancée. Can't make heads or tails of it. Hard to make a call on anybody's homelife unless you are living it (or there is video evidence).

Maybe he could be our "George O'Leary" for basketball....some baggage and we fall into a situation that works out well. I can tell you this, we have been nothing but average (underperforming in some seasons) for the last several years so rolling the dice while stepping up in competition means setting the bar high on a first hire for the Big 12.
Great coach at Texas Tech. But had all the money at Texas bought a lot of players and still didn’t reach the heights they desired.

Players moms are the heart of recruiting Now he has to recruit players moms with this baggage. Tough hurdle. Needs a year or two to rehabilitate himself and his reputation.

Dawkins appears to be a mild mannered nice guy. It seems to me most successful coaches are a bit out spoken and show their emotions more often. I guess there is a thin line between being an emotional coach and being an abusive coach.

UCSB head coach (6 seasons) needs to be looked at (Joe Pasternack). 71% win % total. 70% win% in conference. Two conference regular season and tourney titles. Two NCAA appearances. 2 years Asst at Arizona. 5 years Associate Head coach at Arizona.

I mean they have give him a few years. Unless we have the sports almanac from biff in back to the future, we could have an FAU YEAR!?? Yeah wake the fk up kclasss@7

Nobody boxes out the shooter, basic basketball, UCF loses again! Dawkins must be fired!!!!🤬
Dawkins cannot possibly be a good coach when they don't even perfect the basics. Talent without discipline will not allow you to be anything but mediocre. Sadly Dawkins will have to continue his lack luster coaching into the Big12 before UCF will finally terminate his contract. Most likely we will have to suffer for two more years of Dawkins.

ADVERTISEMENT