ADVERTISEMENT

***Once a Gator, Now a Knight: Trent Whittemore prepares for UCF-UF Showdown***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

Saturday will be a peculiar homecoming for Trent Whittemore.

He's a Gainesville native who grew up going to Florida football games. He eventually became a Gator himself, playing wide receiver from 2019-22 and has a degree from the University of Florida.

Now he's a Knight, having transferred to UCF prior to the 2023 season, going to head-to-head against his former team.

"It'll feel a little weird for sure after putting so much time in there at UF," Whittemore said earlier this week. "I had a great four years there. So it'll be some conflicting feelings I'm sure as I walk into the stadium. But I'm really excited to go play on Saturday."

Trent's dad, Mark, played at UCF. His mother Missy played volleyball at UF. Grandfather and great-grandfather also attended UCF. So what will be the rooting interests be like on Saturday?

"My family's pretty supportive," Whittemore said. "It's kind of wherever the kids are playing. So they're big UCF and Hail State people right now."

Trent's younger brother, Creed, is a sophomore at Mississippi State though intends to transfer after the season.

As someone who has plenty of firsthand experience playing in the Swamp, what is it like?

"It's very loud," Whittemore said. "It's definitely one of the top atmospheres in the country. Super enjoyable place to play. Any atmosphere like that, you're going to get up and want to play well. So, yeah, I'm excited to go back."

Will this feel like a "full circle moment" going back to Gainesville?

"I'm trying not to make too much about the matchup or, like, emotional ties," Whittemore said. "We just want to go out there and play. There's a lot to be motivated for just from our team standpoint.

"So yeah, obviously, there's going to be extra motivation for a guy like myself. But, like I said, we're just focused on the team and going in there and getting a big win."

w7ml9qu5imqbwulw8xhy

Whittemore says he's still close with his former UF teammates, many of whom attended his wedding earlier this year. He used to be roommates with Jeremy Crawshaw, UF's punter. He's also close with offensive lineman Austin Barber and linebacker Derek Wingo, whom he spoke to last week.

Any trash talk?

"We've kept it pretty respectful," Whittemore said. "Like I said, we're good friends, and it'll be great competition on the field."

This will be the fourth all-time meeting between the two schools. The most recent matchup came at the conclusion of the 2021 season in the Gasparilla Bowl. The Knights won, 29-17.

"I remember it was a really exciting atmosphere at the Gasparilla Bowl," Whittemore said. "Two teams that came out and played really hard. A lot of guys know each other... I think because the in-state matchup, like, so many guys know each other, there is a little extra competition."

Whittemore has two receptions so far this season, including a 54-yarder against Colorado in which he evaded a tackle, spinning to avoid going down. CU thought they had him down, then he nearly scored a touchdown.

"I just kind of realized that I hadn't gone down," Whittemore said. "I happened to bounce off the guy, which I don't know if that's ever happened to me in-game. But, yeah, it was a fun moment to pick up some extra yards."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.