ADVERTISEMENT

One Tradition I Wish We’d Lose

CBlackwellRN

Silver Knight
Oct 21, 2001
Orlando, Florida
drchristopherblackwell.com
One of UCF’s “traditions” I’ve always hated is booing the opposing team when they do their run out. Those of us who made trips to Boston College (BC’s band turned to the UCF away section during pre-game and played our fight song to us) and Navy (the entire student body turned to the UCF away section and chanted, “UCF... GOOOOO KNIGHTS!”) saw just how classy of a welcome their fan bases gave us. Hell, when I was a Marching Knight eons ago, Florida’s marching band even welcomed the Marching Knights onto their practice field by greeting us with our fight song. Their fans, of course, were totally classless before, during, and after both contests in Gainesville. I know the booing won’t change anytime soon. But damn do I wish it would.

GO KNIGHTS! BEAT THE OWLS!

Reactions: UCF93
That's going to be a tough tradition to stop for the NEXT home game.
I like your thought, so I'll make a point to at least not boo, but I'm definitely not cheering

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
The reason our stadium is so loud relative to it's size is that the fans are energized and emotional, like a professional wrestling crowd. The day we stop booing opposing teams and officials on every call is the day we start our decline towards Penn State fans. 100k in a stadium you can hear a pin drop in. The blue hairs shake thier heads, clasp their pearls, and say "well, I never", if you stand up and holler.

I planned to hurl bags of urine at the opposing team next week...oh, that's the other football. Damn, what am I going to do with all these baggies now. Chimp poo?

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
The reason our stadium is so loud relative to it's size is that the fans are energized and emotional, like a professional wrestling crowd. The day we stop booing opposing teams and officials on every call is the day we start our decline towards Penn State fans. 100k in a stadium you can hear a pin drop in. The blue hairs shake thier heads, clasp their pearls, and say "well, I never", if you stand up and holler.
Booing ANY call against the Knights is just fine. Booing targeting or heckling opposing teams’ penalties and dirty plays are fine too. But booing teams on the run out puts us in the same trashy class as uf. I don’t like it.

College vs pro.

Apples and oranges.

Right vs wrong.

Get my point?
Booing the other team is wrong? Where did you grow up? Never heard of such a thing. If you are a woman I can see how you'd think that way. Not so sure most competitive men would think that way.

Have to agree with you on this, Chris. It comes off as immature and small time. I'm guessing that most of those who do it have not gone to an away game at one of the older, more tradition heavy (and classy, which leaves some of the older schools out) schools and experienced the way they greet the opposing team/fans.

I think not booing the opponent is taking it a bit far. You don't have to chant obscenities like Rutgers, but just booing? I'm not clapping when they score a touchdown either.

I think not booing the opponent is taking it a bit far. You don't have to chant obscenities like Rutgers, but just booing? I'm not clapping when they score a touchdown either.
The whole point is to drown out the traveling fans that are cheering and clapping. You don't want the other team to get encouragement right from the start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT