ADVERTISEMENT

Only half of Americans who think they have food allergies actually do

EweSeaEff

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2007
Clearwater
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL - Every time I hear someone say they're allergic to gluten I cringe because I know they're likely full of shit. Granted there are some legit allergy sufferers out there; but, these stories/studies always make me laugh. It's like this friend I had that swore everytime she went out drinking that someone spiked her drink. No, dumbass, it's because you had 72 vodka tonics.

About one in five Americans think they have a food allergy, while the actual prevalence of food allergies is closer to one in 10. That’s the major finding of a new large-scale study published in the JAMA Network Open and led by Dr. Ruchi Gupta from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and Northwestern University. Gupta’s survey of more than 40,000 American adults found that while nearly 19 percent believe they’re food allergic, only about 10.8 percent, or 26 million Americans, were food allergic at the time of the study.

“While we found that one in 10 adults have food allergy, nearly twice as many adults think that they are allergic to foods, while their symptoms may suggest food intolerance or other food related conditions,” Gupta said in a press release.

https://thetakeout.com/americans-with-food-allergies-number-rate-study-1831546593

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL - Every time I hear someone say they're allergic to gluten I cringe because I know they're likely full of shit. Granted there are some legit allergy sufferers out there; but, these stories/studies always make me laugh. It's like this friend I had that swore everytime she went out drinking that someone spiked her drink. No, dumbass, it's because you had 72 vodka tonics.

About one in five Americans think they have a food allergy, while the actual prevalence of food allergies is closer to one in 10. That’s the major finding of a new large-scale study published in the JAMA Network Open and led by Dr. Ruchi Gupta from Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and Northwestern University. Gupta’s survey of more than 40,000 American adults found that while nearly 19 percent believe they’re food allergic, only about 10.8 percent, or 26 million Americans, were food allergic at the time of the study.

“While we found that one in 10 adults have food allergy, nearly twice as many adults think that they are allergic to foods, while their symptoms may suggest food intolerance or other food related conditions,” Gupta said in a press release.

https://thetakeout.com/americans-with-food-allergies-number-rate-study-1831546593

Very relevant for me. My nephew has diagnosed nut allergies that are as serious as they come and can be fatal. It's a horrible allergy to have. On the other hand, my sister-in-law claims to have a multitude of allergies - including pepper and iceberg lettuce - yet refuses to go do a simple allergy test to confirm. So every goddamn meal with them is a fiasco since the food must be super bland, or at restaurants she scares the waiter to death claiming that pepper will kill her.

I am 100% certain she has no actual allergies.

Reactions: UCFWayne

Actually, if someone says they are allergic to gluten they are full of diarrhea.

My wife and I have actually had anaphylactic shock that required to go to the ER, due to food allergies.

It's coconut for her, mushrooms for me.

For my wife, even just coconut water can be enough of an issue.

I'm not allergic to all mushrooms, verified shiitake and a common strand of North American in typical salad pints for me, but I don't chance it, the fresher, the worse.

I loved mushrooms before that, and had never realized I was having a reaction after each time I ate one ... until the 2 trips to the ER finally helped me put it together. No issues since avoiding mushrooms.

But at least they are not airborne allergies. People who are allergic to peanut dust in the air do exist.

Very relevant for me. My nephew has diagnosed nut allergies that are as serious as they come and can be fatal. It's a horrible allergy to have. On the other hand, my sister-in-law claims to have a multitude of allergies - including pepper and iceberg lettuce - yet refuses to go do a simple allergy test to confirm. So every goddamn meal with them is a fiasco since the food must be super bland, or at restaurants she scares the waiter to death claiming that pepper will kill her.

I am 100% certain she has no actual allergies.
I would think dinner with you would be shitty all the time

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Actually, if someone says they are allergic to gluten they are full of diarrhea.
There are simple 'sensitivities' that are more 'discomfort' to things like major 'impacts' that can 'cause complications,' and finally, flat out 'allergies' that can be 'life threatening.'

Gluten allergies are usually minor ... much like MSG and other 'sensitivities.' Study after study has shown this, 'tolerance' differs in people, and it's more about 'discomfort' than remote 'life threatening.'

Unless, of course, one has Celiac Disease

I had a direct report who had Ceilac Disease. Totally different situation. It's real. Gluten literally must be avoided. It can cause all sorts of 'complications.' It's more than just a 'sensitivity.'

It also takes a good amount of mushroom for me to experience anaphylactic shock, so I can 'pick around it' and, at most, I'll get a 'little swollen.' My wife's coconut allergy is a bit more serious, but still takes more than trace amounts. Enough can be 'life threatening,' but we're not carrying around epipens.

Although not food, I also live with a similar, but 'tolerable' situation that is more about 'complications.' I try to take in more than 6g (6,000mg) of potassium and less than 1g (1,000mg) of sodium a day because I have Conn's Syndrome.

It took over a year to diagnose (more on that in a bit). My BP was never over 120/80 until 2017 (mid-40s), not even with my weight, and then my second number was never under 100. It means I need to watch my potassium intake (increase) and sodium (reduce). But in the end, I need drugs (currently) to control it, although fairly low doses.

Conn's Syndrome goes massively overlooked, and people even have strokes or heart attacks in their 30s because of it, depending. And then even after that, it's misdiagnosed as simple blood pressure issues, because only 1 out of 100 with BP issues have it. It's not until no blood pressure medicine does jack, and not even then sometimes, it literally takes a cardiologist bringing in an endocrinologist.

In my extreme case, my blood panel couldn't identify it at all, all 'in the zone,' and it took an endocrinologist. I went through over a year on that, and had my heart rate slowed to half on all sorts of Blockers, about a dozen different BP medicine attempts, with no change. I'd wake up with a dizzy head, many times just 130/110 or similar. It took no less than 3 different cardiologists to realize I should be tested for Conn's, based on looking at the differential between potassium-sodium, even though both were in the 'normal' range (but low-high).

I'm lucky because I only need a minor (1/8) dose of a diuretic to get it under control -- nothing compared to the sheer high doses of other crap they had me on before, causing all sorts of artificial fibrillation. In fact, if I get too much, even just half the dose they give people after a heart attack, I'd be <100/<70.

So while I understand that some people are 'drama kings/queens,' it's really about taking things seriously ... for yourself. People who just want to be a-holes are just going to be a-holes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT