ADVERTISEMENT

Opening presser Heupel>Frost

bignow

Golden Knight
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
wow, what a difference. No ummm, ahhh every other word. Looks like a pro!
Now we actually get a real Defensive Coordinator to boot! Onward!

I want someone to ask "If Oklahoma wants you to be HC in 2 years, will you go?"

well, considering they've already fired him once for being a subpar OC you're probably safe ...
In all fairness, par for Oklahoma has been top 10 offenses, conference and national championship contenders for the last 20 years. His "subpar" season the team went 8-4 in the regular season and lost 3 games where Oklahoma put up 30 points. They needed a scapegoat imo.

In all fairness, par for Oklahoma has been top 10 offenses, conference and national championship contenders for the last 20 years. His "subpar" season the team went 8-4 in the regular season and lost 3 games where Oklahoma put up 30 points. They needed a scapegoat imo.

Fair point. looking at their schedule, they were 3 plays from being 11-1 in the regular season.

I think OU is pretty comfortable with Lincoln Riley at the moment, so I wouldn't be worried about OU poaching him if he does have success. However, if Kansas State or Texas Tech open up there might be reason for concern.

Heupel would be smart to stay in P5 as long as possible, imo. Stay long enough to be the coach that leads the Knights to the Big12/ACC

I thought he said 3-4, occasionally bringing 4 up front.

I would believe RS will have a pretty big say in schemes, given JH's offensive background

The beauty of the 3-4 is that you don't bring 4 up front. You want to disguise where the pressure is coming from. If you need more bulk on short yardage situations, you go 5-2. But the DT technique and style is totally different Hill and the new DT from Gainesville (Walker) are 3-4 DTs. In addition our linebackers are 3-4 LBs (Burgess Becker, Bacote, etc.) I hope that Shannon isn't rigid in this regard. It's hard to find quality linemen at the G5 level, that's why we have a 3-4 defense.

Reactions: Miltonian
Here here... I can envision some pretty passionate pre-game/halftime speeches from that guy. One thing I couldn't imagine coming from SF.
Frost saved his passion for jumping into players mosh pits and crowd surfing. That era is long gone.

The beauty of the 3-4 is that you don't bring 4 up front. You want to disguise where the pressure is coming from. If you need more bulk on short yardage situations, you go 5-2. But the DT technique and style is totally different Hill and the new DT from Gainesville (Walker) are 3-4 DTs. In addition our linebackers are 3-4 LBs (Burgess Becker, Bacote, etc.) I hope that Shannon isn't rigid in this regard. It's hard to find quality linemen at the G5 level, that's why we have a 3-4 defense.
He said he would scheme to fit the players well. He plays multiple fronts and LB combos, hes good about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT